Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in January, we noted that office supply chain Staples appeared to gearing up to begin selling Apple products in its U.S. stores for the first time. Staples employees confirmed the announcement several weeks later and late last month the company began selling Apple accessories in its U.S. online store.

Apple accessories have already been making their way to some brick-and-mortar Staples stores, with our sources indicating that at least some locations will also be selling a broader range of products, including Macs, iPads, and iPhones.

One source has now shared screenshots of training materials for Staples sales associates, revealing training modules addressing not only the Apple TV currently being offered Staples but also Mac notebooks, iPhones, and iPads. It is unclear if Mac desktops are not going to be carried by Staples or if perhaps those offerings will be limited to certain locations.

staples_apple_training_2.jpg
Staples' curriculum description for iPhone 5 training reads:
At the end of this curriculum, associates will be able to describe key features of the Apple iPhone 5, and suggest attachments that compliment the iPhone 5.
Notably, all of the training modules addressing Apple products carry completion due dates of March 26 or 27, suggesting that the rollout of those products to Staples stores is likely to occur very soon after.

staples_apple_training_1.jpg
Staples operates over 1,500 retail stores in the United States, marking a significant expansion of Apple's distribution chain. The new outlet also offers an appealing channel for businesses that may already have billing accounts and other existing relationships with Staples for their office supply needs.

Article Link: Staples Associates Training to Support iPhone, iPad, and Mac Notebook Sales by Late March

timoplatt

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Staples Associates more effective

Staples associates become more effective, and engage users across all channels, by using a #CEM (consumer engagement-mobile) platform on Android and iOS devices: http://amex.co/13rIN5K

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Ha. I think aquariums can train goldfish better than Staples does its employees. But lots of small biz have Staples accts so net good for Apple's bottom line. I doubt individuals will be attracted to buy Apple products from Staples so not much training really needed. Likely scenario is companies ordering in bulk.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
So, does this include instructions on not tying the HANDHELD Apple products to MOTION SENSING screamer theft deterrent cables?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Sweet, I like Staples because of their 14 day return with no restocking fee. I have a Staples closer to me than Best Buy.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Staples is the worst. I got a gift card from for a return and you can't even use their gift cards online. Not to mention they never have stock of the item you want.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Well, Staple's isn't great but there sure are a lot more of them than Apple stores. Getting more hands on access to the quality of MacBooks compared to Dell, Acer, etc. should make for more converts.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... Apple accessories have already been making their way to some brick-and-mortar Staples stores, with our sources indicating that at least some locations will also be selling a broader range of products, including Macs, iPads, and iPhones. ...

Haven't been to a Staples this year, but last time I went I saw some iPad clones on display.
They had huge X-braces over them to prevent theft, going right across the screen.
I can't imagine Apple letting their products be displayed like that by Staples or anyone else.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Shopping at Staples is like shopping at FYE for your entertainment.
Over priced and lack of selection.

I always assumed fye stood for "eff you everybody" in reference to changing corporate branding to evade following through on the Wall Lifetime Music Guarantee.

----------

Haven't been to a Staples this year, but last time I went I saw some iPad clones on display.
They had huge X-braces over them to prevent theft, going right across the screen.
I can't imagine Apple letting their products be displayed like that by Staples or anyone else.

Okay, that's actually worse than the motion sensing nuisance alarm that put me off my curiosity to try a Microsoft Surface at Staples.

----------

Staples product training is an absolute joke. I speak from experience.

They're a very rigid and inflexible conservative corporate entity. I had an interview for a job at a Staples once. The interviewing employee couldn't make eye contact. How professional and service like. They also told me I'd have to cut my hair. Pony tails on males goes against their corporate wage slave uniform. A few weeks later I heard similar stories about other conservative traits that continually shoot themselves in the foot in terms of customer experience and employment. It's like the corporate culture is one of an inability to think critically; certainly not creatively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.