Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I buy horse meat all the time, makes lean burgers and sauces, or its very good as sirloins too.

What's the "beef" here ? :confused:

How could you possibly be confused by the issue? It is no different than if I were drinking almond milk and instead of almond milk, it had traces of cow milk. Some who replace cow milk with something else aren't doing it for ***** and giggles. If I buy beef I expect beef. Not fillers, horse, cat, or even dog. It is wonderful that you seek out horse meat but if there happened to be traces of goat in there then would't you be slightly disturbed?

I don't and won't eat horse meat. Bison is another story though; that is straight delicious.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've always wanted to try horse, but if it tastes so close to beef then I probably won't bother.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The 'food' industry in the UK is appalling. Fatal E. coli outbreaks, condemned chicken being sold wholesale for pet food being put back into supermarkets, BSE, etc. Mind you, in my US primary school days I saw them unloading can meat to our school's cafeteria. The label read 'US Army Surplus. Grade E but edible.' Yummmmm.... [why are there no nausea smilies on MR?]

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
if the percentage of meat in the burger is higher for beef, they can still label it as beef burgers. The sad thing is, everyone kicking up a fuss either a) don't eat them or b) realise that with horsemeat they are probably healthier than without it.

Horsemeat is only taboo because they have pet status, infact they are high in protein and low in fat.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
if the percentage of meat in the burger is higher for beef, they can still label it as beef burgers. The sad thing is, everyone kicking up a fuss either a) don't eat them or b) realise that with horsemeat they are probably healthier than without it.

Horsemeat is only taboo because they have pet status, infact they are high in protein and low in fat.

I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure that there are some foods, like beef and milk, that need to be "pure" if labeled as "beef" for "milk". Foods like ketchup are made up of other raw ingredients, and therefore there is some lee-way in what goes in. But Beef is the raw ingredient.

Plus, whatever goes in needs to be listed in the ingredients panel. Some people are allergic to wheat, eggs, etc. And...

There are lot of people who find horse meat taboo because of the shape of the hoof.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Memorable quotes for "Mister Ed" (1958)

Mister Ed: What do you say we go out riding and pick up a couple of fillies?
Wilbur Post: I'm not a horse, remember?
Mister Ed: Too bad, we could have a ball double dating.

Mister Ed: You should never have told me horses sleep standing up, it gave me a mental block.

[Wilbur finds Mister Ed sleeping in his living room]
Wilbur Post: Oh no.
Mister Ed: If you had a dog, you'd let him sleep in the house.
Wilbur Post: A dog is different. A dog is a household pet.
Mister Ed: Then call me "Rover" and wake me at eight.

[repeated line]
Mister Ed: Holler, but don't hit.

Mister Ed: Don't yell at me, Wilbur, I'm not your wife.

Mister Ed: I love Christmas. Wilbur is so full of the spirit of giving, and I'm so full of the spirit of receiving.
Share this quote

[opening line of each episode]
Mister Ed: Hello, I'm Mr. Ed.

Mister Ed: Oh Wilbur! I want to play with my set!

Wilbur Post: [after Ed finds a straw hat] What are you going to do with a straw hat?
Mister Ed: I'll wear it till it goes out of style. Then I'll eat it!

Mister Ed: [impatiently] Let's Go Wilbur!
Wilbur Post: Go? You're on the bottom!
Mister Ed: Sorry! I forgot!

Mister Ed: Stop gabbin' and get me some oats!

Wilbur Post: [after Mister Ed makes a great shot in a ring toss game] Good throw, Ed! I bet you're also good at pitching horseshoes!
Mister Ed: No, Wilbur, I don't play horseshoes.
Wilbur Post: Really? Why not?
Mister Ed: Because Mom always taught us kids not to throw our clothes around!

Wilbur Post: Ed, you have run away for the last time! I'm going to lock you in your stall.
Mister Ed: Don't do that Wilbur! I suffer from claustrophobia!
Wilbur Post: Claustrophobia? You mean you have a fear of confined spaces?
Mister Ed: Sure, it runs in the family. I even get nervous when I put my nose in a small feedbag.

Wilbur Post: I've been meaning to ask you, Ed. Just how do horses sleep standing up?
Mister Ed: [Shocked] We Do?
Wilbur Post: Didn't you know?
Mister Ed: How can I? When I'm asleep my eyes are closed!

Mister Ed: Well, time to hit the hay... oh I forgot, I ate it!

:)

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Burger King drops supplier linked to horsemeat

Jill Lawless, Associated Press 12:05p.m. EST January 24, 2013

0d0e4bd3e8dc8702270f6a70670093a3-4_3_r536_c534.jpg

Burger King said Jan. 24, 2013, that it has stopped buying beef from an Irish meat processor whose patties were found to contain traces of horse DNA. (Photo: LM Otero, AP)

Story Highlights

• Traces of horsemeat were found in some patties
  • Silvercrest Foods recalled 10 million burgers in Britain and Ireland
  • Officials say there is no risk to human health
LONDON (AP) — British and Irish burger fans could face a Whopper shortage.

Burger King says it has stopped buying beef from an Irish meat processor whose patties were found to contain traces of horsemeat.

The fast food chain said Thursday that it had dropped Silvercrest Foods as a supplier for its U.K. and Ireland restaurants as a "voluntary and precautionary measure."

Last week Silvercrest, owned by ABP Food Group, shut down its production line and recalled 10 million burgers from supermarkets in Britain and Ireland after horse DNA was found in some beef products.

Burger King said the decision to drop the supplier "may mean that some of our products are temporarily unavailable." It stressed that "this is not a food safety issue."

The presence of horsemeat in beef is a sensitive issue in Britain and Ireland, which do not have a tradition of eating horses. The British tabloid The Sun reported the Burger King story under the headline "Shergar King," a reference to a famous racehorse.

Officials say there is no risk to human health, but the episode has raised food security concerns.

Products from another Irish firm and one in Britain also were contaminated by horsemeat. Most had only small traces, but one burger of a brand sold by the British supermarket chain Tesco contained 29% horsemeat.

Irish food officials say an ingredient imported from an unspecified European country and used as filler in cheap burgers is the likely source of the horsemeat contamination.

Burger King says its patties are made from 100% beef.

Lawmaker Mary Creagh, environment spokeswoman for Britain's opposition Labour Party, said Thursday that several horses slaughtered in the country last year had tested positive for phenylbutazone, an anti-inflammatory drug given to horses that can cause cancer in humans.

"It is possible that those animals entered the human food chain," she said.

The Food Standards Agency confirmed that meat from five horses had tested positive for the drug, but said none had been approved for sale in Britain. It said the relevant food safety authorities were informed in cases where the meat was exported to other countries.

The agency said no horsemeat in the current scandal contained phenylbutazone.

Very little horsemeat is sold in Britain, but the country sends thousands of horses a year abroad to be killed for meat.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

:D

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Not to be disrespectful but plenty of "Halal" meat shops have been under scrutiny in the USA. Seems they don't meet sanitary standards. I gather that the range burgers are probably better than some products in "Halal" butcher shops.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I hear Tesco are doing a new promotion. Triple Clubcard points on petrol and burgers.

It's called Only Fuel and Horses :p

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Wouldn’t be suprised... Those burgers you can buy in bulk at the supermarket are so cheap and crappy it’s not funny.

----------

Come to think of it, there’s no reason why we can’t eat horse meat... It’s a herbavore, just like the cow, so there can’t be THAT much different.

----------

And I'm sure they find a use for the feathers.

They do. White bread often contains feathers. How do you think they make it all soft and fluffy? ;)

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
With regards to the comments about jews and muslims not eating value burgers because they're not kosher or halal, im pretty sure kosher and halal extends to the way in which the animal is killed, which isnt commonplace in a standard abbattoir.

Very few fast food places are halal/kosher as far as im aware. KFC and southern fried chicken are though, hence their huge popularity in muslim conutries as opposed to the UK

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Not as bad a vegetarian lasagne but still not good.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Some of the initial reporting said horse meat costs was about 1/3 of what beef does.

around here quality horse meat costs actually more than beef ... but i suspect the problem here is the "quality" part ;)

i wouldn't have a thing against horse meat burgers (very likely delicious like the sausages) but false labeling of food is still something everybody should condemn

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Blargh, thats terrible. I now think almost all packaged food is bad - buy the animals, killem yourself and eat them. Or better yet, go veggie.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
around here quality horse meat costs actually more than beef ... but i suspect the problem here is the "quality" part ;)

i wouldn't have a thing against horse meat burgers (very likely delicious like the sausages) but false labeling of food is still something everybody should condemn

My understanding is that basically, people in the UK don't eat horse meat. Therefore there is no value in a dead horse. It would then seem to logically make sense that if you have a horse breeder with basically something with no value, getting something for it from a company looking to cut costs on buying (relatively) expensive dead cows is better than just putting it into the ground.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
My understanding is that basically, people in the UK don't eat horse meat. Therefore there is no value in a dead horse. It would then seem to logically make sense that if you have a horse breeder with basically something with no value, getting something for it from a company looking to cut costs on buying (relatively) expensive dead cows is better than just putting it into the ground.

Yes indeed. Since the final crisis, once wealth people have been trying to offload horses in the UK for below-market values. Obviously it may be different in the U.S., but horses are a very expensive hobby in the UK - particularly if you own them. Therefore horses can be purchased rather cheaply these days as they need to be quickly offloaded. According to people in the loop, people are purchasing horses in good faith from people previously rolling in it (if you don't mind me saying), and then sending it to the slaughterhouse. Obviously what people do with their "assets" is their own business, but buying something from someone in good faith and then doing a 180 degree turn is a rather cruel business.

It's obviously nothing to do with irresponsible suppliers but I thought it was rather interesting :)

Ctech80

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I've never understood why people are so squeamish about eating certain animals but not others. Does a horse/cat/dog have more rights than a cow/pig/sheep? Do we only eat animals we can't give a name to? I think it's to do with how we anthropomorphise certain animals.
Having said that, I think that you should be able to buy beef products and know exactly what's in them. It's hardly a surprize though when you buy things like value burgers, how did you think they made them so cheap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.