Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nerdy Keith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
What is the best printer to get for printing high color images?

I am a web design student and from time to time we are required to print hard copies of our work for our portfolios.

Going to Internet cafes all the time for projects is becoming too expensive so I would like to invest in my own high quality color printer suitable for iMac

Any suggestions of a good brand and or model? Thanks in advance

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I have found....

that the Officejet 6100 ePrinter as an affordable solution for color printing. Only downside is I am only able to use it without problems in Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)....

:):apple:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

I am a web design student and from time to time we are required to print hard copies of our work for our portfolios.

Going to Internet cafes all the time for projects is becoming too expensive so I would like to invest in my own high quality color printer suitable for iMac

All depends on what kind of cash flow you have. We use Epson printers at work (printing company) and does a really good job at proofing for us. But they are large format (48") and expensive machines to operate. Upwards of $5000. Personally I use a Hewlett Packard Photosmart Series printer at home. It is 6 colour and does a professional job as long as I use the proper paper for the job. Only draw back is size. I am limited to 9 x 12. Inexpensive and great results for the small things I design at home. $300-400. I think the most important thing to remember, is to have the proper paper for the job. Cheap paper does not work. Even a cheap printer can do a decent job with the right mediums. Look at Epson, Fuji, Xerox and Hewlett Packard. They all make good printers but it depends on what the cash flow is. Also try to find one that is six colours or better. Printer will have a bigger colour range that way. Laser printers will be able to print on a larger variety of mediums than an injet. All of the printers I mention will work with a mac and usually come with the software required.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
There are.....

drivers/software in the HP website. Only thing is I have my setup done in a machine with Snow Leopard. But maybe are worth a look before buying anything. Also, I suggest this printer based in my uses and experience. But maybe you need/want another kind of printer, based in your needs, as a wide format or a color laser printer.

Still, seems to me an affordable solution.

:):apple:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

It sounds like you are budget constrained. If this is only for occasional use those Kodak printing kiosks put out surprisingly nice quality prints and the cost is not too bad. I see them everywhere around here... Target, Walmart, grocery stores etc. You can just pop your USB key in the kiosk and print away.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If you need something rather professional, then the Epson Stylus Photo R2000 wide-format printer is pretty much what you're looking at.
With its seven high-capacity ink cartridges (Photo Black, Matte Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Orange, Red) plus gloss optimizer, it prints in a quality that's unheard of on All-In-Ones. Reviews from photographer magazines praise it for both photos and graphics.
816qbwt2UiL._AA1500_.jpg

Most of all, it's unusually affordable for its level of output quality. For the moment at least, there is nothing else in its price class that even comes close to challenging it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.