Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ibooks_icon.jpg
A U.S. District Judge has ordered Apple CEO Tim Cook to sit for a deposition in the antitrust lawsuit filed by the Justice Department against the company over alleged e-book price-fixing, reports Reuters.
U.S. District Judge Denise Cote in Manhattan granted the Justice Department's request to compel Cook to testify for four hours in the lawsuit, which accuses Apple of conspiring with five publishers to raise e-book prices.

The government had argued Cook likely had relevant information about Apple's entry into the e-books market. It also said Cook likely had conversations related to e-books with former Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who died in 2011.
The lawsuit was originally filed in April of 2012, and has focused on the so-called 'agency model' for pricing ebooks that Apple attempted to negotiate with a number of publishers.

The Department of Justice has settled with all of the book publishers initially accused, while Apple remains the main target of the suit.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Ordered to Testify in E-Books Antitrust Lawsuit

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
That sounds like a good use of the CEO's time.

He needs to be putting the iPhone 6 and iOS7 together, not worrying about some alleged e-book price-fixing.

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Good. It will be nice to hear Apples official opinion on the matter.

And perhaps while he is under oath they can as him for the release date for the new Mac Pro.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So when is the court date or whatever?

I think we can count on Apple not doing any announcements that day... then again, who knows. Tim Cook isn't really necessary... he doesn't have the same presentation skills Jobs had... and even if he is, 4 hours isn't all day... he'll still have plenty of time to do a 2 hour presentation in the morning, have lunch, then testify in court for 4 hours in the afternoon.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004

He needs to be putting the iPhone 6 and iOS7 together, not worrying about some alleged e-book price-fixing.

Not like he's actually doing anything productive over at Apple... How much has that stock dropped? :D

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I wish Steve Jobs were alive, he was good at handling this kind of ****.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Right - because Tim Cook is putting the iPhone 6 and iOS7 together. Really?

I think the order is warranted. And given the case - very appropriate for him to spend time testifying.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Wild guess here... the plaintiff couldn't give a rat's A Tim Cook has better things to do. Clearly Judge agrees. Also it's a CEO's job to worry about every aspect of the company; that's the whole point of "chief" preceding "executive" in the title, no?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I really hope they are all told to lower ebook prices because in most cases the printed book is around 5 dollars cheaper.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I really hope they are all told to lower ebook prices because in most cases the printed book is around 5 dollars cheaper.

I'm curious. Can you name actual books and who sells them where the ebook is $5.00 more than the same paper book ? In my experience, the ebook is the same price or maybe a little cheaper than the paper book. I have never seen an ebook $5.00 more then a paper book.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I'm curious. Can you name actual books and who sells them where the ebook is $5.00 more than the same paper book ? In my experience, the ebook is the same price or maybe a little cheaper than the paper book. I have never seen an ebook $5.00 more then a paper book.

nbot infrequent.
Take a browse around the Kindle store at amazon for example. in "kindle books" ( do not have access to Apples store right now to do comparison)

from best sellers section

Alex Cross, Run: Paperback 12.27, Kindle 14.99
Jodi Picult, The Storyteller: Hard Cover 16, Kindle 15.99
Will Fergusen, 419: paperback 14.44, Kindle 16.99

Heck. THE HOBBIT, an old book, is 9.99. You can find paperback versions of this book for a couple dollars.
also: LOTR box set (including box for all 3 books). $18.80 in paperback. Kindle price of 29.99 *BUT WAIT, BUY NOW THIS CAN BE HAD FOR A LOW LOW PRICE OF 24.99!

here's the thing that i think is the most troublesom with ebook pricing. is their is a tremendous difference in every price. There's no consistency to it.

there are cheaper ebook prices, there are equivelant and there are more epxnsive ones. I've seen ebook's go for 5-10 less than paper copy, and then I've seen them go for $5 more than hardcover.

In the reality of the market, for what epublishing does, the E-cost associated with distribution of ebooks should be significantly reducing the costs associated with the books. Finding ebooks that are priced equal or more than their paper copies make absolutely no sense from a logistical point of view.

There are no store front costs (employees, rent, overhead of running a brick and mortor store). There's no papermill production costs of producing the paper. no ink costs, no printing costs, no shipping costs (books are very heavy, and require a lot of energy, gas and space to ship), no warehousing costs at distributors or retail centres.

There is NO way, that retailing a book on amazon.ca and having it distribute the product over it's own digital means costs anywhere near the same as those above costs.

So why are the savings not being passed to the customer? if you told me that 90% of those additional margins go directly to the author, I'd be less hesitent, but we all know thats not how media distrubution works. The fact is that these increased margins are being directly put into profit for the distributors like Amazon and Apple and B&N and Hobo.

Don't get me wrong, you can find some amazing deals online for ebooks, if you look, and wait for them to hit. .99c for 1984 is a steal, same with 2.99 for Brave New World (buying now lol).
but the rest of the pricing is so inconsistent with anything that makes any logical sense

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Heck. THE HOBBIT, an old book, is 9.99. You can find paperback versions of this book for a couple dollars.
also: LOTR box set (including box for all 3 books). $18.80 in paperback. Kindle price of 29.99 *BUT WAIT, BUY NOW THIS CAN BE HAD FOR A LOW LOW PRICE OF 24.99!

Hmm, I was thinking of getting the Hobbit for my Kindle so I just checked Amazon when you said it was $24.99. The kindle version is listed for $7.29 (not $24.99) and is cheaper then the paper version.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hobbit-eb...TF8&qid=1363208709&sr=1-1&keywords=the+hobbit

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I'd pay a dollar to see Tim take the 5th a couple of dozen times in the courtroom.

Or to see him breakdown during his testimony, throw his hands up the in the air
and scream at the top of his lungs 'I'm sorry, I'm not Steve Jobs, so sue me'.

Or shout at the judge, 'Do you know who I am, well do you?'

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Why did Tim go to the State of the Union, when Obama (and this is the Obama administration, this kind of BS does not happen without the presidents consent, he could end it with a phone call) is persecuting the company for the crime of trying to break Amazon's monopoly by lowering prices? (ironic they would claim Apple tried to raise prices for requiring that the lowest prices be used, and also ironic that it would be called "anti-trust" when it was apple that was breaking the "trust"-- amazon.)

But then, government is nothing more than a bunch of mafia thugs who think the "rule of law" makes their crimes legitimate.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Hmm, I was thinking of getting the Hobbit for my Kindle so I just checked Amazon when you said it was $24.99. The kindle version is listed for $7.29 (not $24.99) and is cheaper then the paper version.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hobbit-eb...TF8&qid=1363208709&sr=1-1&keywords=the+hobbit

when I click your link "pricing not available"

this is part of the problem. Online sellers are super inconsistent in prices. Setting regional prices that vary, and blocking others from getting the same deals arbitrarily.

when I go to my kindle store it's 24.99. Maybe acuse i'm registered in Canada?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
when I click your link "pricing not available"

this is part of the problem. Online sellers are super inconsistent in prices. Setting regional prices that vary, and blocking others from getting the same deals arbitrarily.

when I go to my kindle store it's 24.99. Maybe acuse i'm registered in Canada?

That is the reason and now I'm understanding why you are seeing higher prices for your e-books. From my experience of buying e-books in the US, the e-books are either the same price or cheaper than the paper books.

Just to make you feel even worse about the e-book prices in Canada :D

Prices in US:
The Hobbit is $7.29.
Alex Cross Run is $11.99.
Jodi Picult, The Storyteller is $12.60.
Will Fergusen, 419 e-book was not being sold on Amazon.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Why did Tim go to the State of the Union, when Obama (and this is the Obama administration, this kind of BS does not happen without the presidents consent, he could end it with a phone call) is persecuting the company for the crime of trying to break Amazon's monopoly by lowering prices? (ironic they would claim Apple tried to raise prices for requiring that the lowest prices be used, and also ironic that it would be called "anti-trust" when it was apple that was breaking the "trust"-- amazon.)

But then, government is nothing more than a bunch of mafia thugs who think the "rule of law" makes their crimes legitimate.
Actually no... the president can't "end it with a phone call".
He would risk impeachment for judicial interference.
Apple's model didn't lower prices for anyone but Apple.
It raised prices for consumers across the board and eliminated retailer's ability to provide discounts.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Actually no... the president can't "end it with a phone call".
He would risk impeachment for judicial interference.

Really? The president can't call the AG and ask him not to prosecute a case?

It raised prices for consumers across the board

Not completely true, but it did raise prices on average.

and eliminated retailer's ability to provide discounts.

Only because retailers were no longer setting prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.