Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Just not the right the of materials. This Tube amp looks much better, with very little effort.

Attachments

• Cary 1 copy.jpg
    Cary 1 copy.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
This looks pretty damn good.

Shame about the Emotiva, though. I still think you should come back to it once you have a better grasp of materials and rendering effects.

Here's the latest Emotiva

Attachments

• Newest Final RSP2A.jpg
    Newest Final RSP2A.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135

Renzatic

Suspended
It's not bad, but still looks too rendery for it to be photorealistic.

The model itself is good, but the material itself still looks kinda fake. You're going for that brushed metal look, but it pops too much, it's too stark. I found this shot to compare it against...

emotiva.jpg

This one has a curved face, and it's obviously seen some use, but still. Look at how the light reflects off of it. It's not completely uniform. The brushed scratches are just barely noticeable and blend into the surface more subtly. It wouldn't hurt to fade those out a little bit, maybe throw in a light specular to break up some of the reflection along the front.

I'm hardly a pro myself here, but I think the biggest thing that separates a decent enough render from a photorealistic one are the tiny imperfections. Nothing is ever perfect or completely uniform. Right now, your stuff is a little too perfect and a little too uniform.

Last edited:

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
It's not bad, but still looks too rendery for it to be photorealistic.

The model itself is good, but the material itself still looks kinda fake. You're going for that brushed metal look, but it pops too much, it's too stark. I found this shot to compare it against...

This one has a curved face, but still. Look at how the light reflects off of it. It's not completely uniform. The brushed scratches are just barely noticeable and blend into the surface more subtly. It wouldn't hurt to fade those out a little bit, maybe throw in a light specular to break up some of the reflection along the front.

I'm hardly a pro myself here, but I think the biggest thing that separates a decent enough render from a photorealistic one are the tiny imperfections. Nothing is ever perfect or completely uniform. Right now, your stuff is a little too perfect and a little too uniform.

Ok. Here is a real photo of the preamp. I Own it. Depending on the light the brush effect can look pretty rough. I will try backing off on though.

Attachments

• P1040568.JPG
    P1040568.JPG
    901.8 KB · Views: 119

Renzatic

Suspended
Ok. Here is a real photo of the preamp. I Own it. Depending on the light the brush effect can look pretty rough. I will try backing off on though.

Yeah, you're close, but still just missing that je ne sais quoi that separates the good from the great.

Like I said, really pay attention to how the light plays across the surface of your amp. How it looks faded and barely there on one side, and how it almost looks like it's scratched into the surface on the other. Ask yourself why it does that, and try to figure out how to replicate it.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, you're close, but still just missing that je ne sais quoi that separates the good from the great.

Like I said, really pay attention to how the light plays across the surface of your amp. How it looks faded and barely there on one side, and how it almost looks like it's scratched into the surface on the other. Ask yourself why it does that, and try to figure out how to replicate it.

I need to put a controlled point light just to the front right side of the preamp to produce a highlight. I think that will do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.