Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage3.png
Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller went on the offensive against Android in a unusually forthright interview with The Wall Street Journal.
Mr. Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of world-wide marketing, also said that Android users are often running old operating systems and that the fragmentation in the Android world was "plain and simple."

He added that "Android is often given a free replacement for a feature phone and the experience isn't as good as an iPhone."
In addition to the above comments, Schiller said that Android devices and the operating system "don't work seamlessly together" because they come from different vendors, unlike Apple which makes both the software and hardware in its devices.

Samsung is expected to announce an update to its flagship Galaxy S smartphone line tomorrow.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Goes on Offensive Against Android and Samsung

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The usual stuff. And I agree.

Although its hard not to feel as if I'm sitting by watching as these new android phones keep adding more and more features which I don't have. But his comments about "seamlessness" are true.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
Yes and thats why your getting your ass kicked by Android.

I have owned the S3, Nexus 4 and the Note 2 and i can tell you fragmentation hasnt hurt my experience one bit.

PC's are fragmented to hell and they dont suffer. In fact OSX cant perform a single benchmark better than PC in any games.

Dont tell consumers its for their benefit you make the hardware and software. Its for your profit only

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
It's true there's no way around it.
The second problem that android has is piracy, I only know 1 person that doesn't pirate android apps all the other users that I know either use only free stuff or pirate away.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2010
Its just a shame apple wont update their software... it looks the same as it did on day one.

The new HTC one looks great and the software looks really good.

But as Phil said, they don't offer the level of integration. Im not prepared to give up the integration between my iPad, iPhone and Mac. Well done Apple you have managed to create a winning business plan with minimal work on your behalf.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Well, he's not wrong.

My iPad 2 went to iOS6 the day it came out. My GS3 has never been on the latest OS.

sciwizam

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
WSJ Article Headline: "In Rare Move, Apple Goes on the Defensive Against Samsung"

Macrumors Headline: "Phil Schiller Goes on Offensive Against Android and Samsung"

:rolleyes:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Mr. Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of world-wide marketing, also said that Android users are often running old operating systems and that the fragmentation in the Android world was "plain and simple."

He added that "Android is often given a free replacement for a feature phone and the experience isn't as good as an iPhone."

I wouldn't expect Apple's top shill to say anything different.

Funny thing is, that stuff doesn't bother consumers any more now than it did when Apple's former top shill was alive. Android just continues to outsell iOS, and continues to widen the gap.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
He Would Be Right If Speaking 2 Years Ago

After Android 4.0 ICS came out, Android improved vastly and Samsung has been selling like hotcakes in every segment. Old versions of Android are there because of a lot of older devices sold in the developing world never intended to be upgraded.

Android 5.0 KLP will be out in May and Samsung has become much much better about pushing out updates to its devices than in the past.

This interview by Schiller is to keep morale up and perhaps Apple stock. It isn't just going to be the Galaxy S4 tomorrow, but HTC One, Nexus and Motorola devices that are going to be hitting the market in the next few months.

iOS is getting stale in features and with iPhone you only have one choice. With Android there are several choices.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002

I have owned the S3, Nexus 4 and the Note 2 and i can tell you fragmentation hasnt hurt my experience one bit.

PC's are fragmented to hell and they dont suffer. In fact OSX cant perform a single benchmark better than PC in any games.

Dont tell consumers its for their benefit you make the hardware and software. Its for your profit only

Thats a lot of phones for the small time Android has been readily available on the market not to mention those phone models themselves are not very old. Why do you change so much? Not happy with your experience I would imagine or you just love cycling through junk phones.

Last edited:

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Really Jordan? What does the last paragraph have to do with this post? Absolutely nothing! Here's what we'll probably be seeing from you next...

"New pope elected!

Samsung is expected to announce an update to its flagship Galaxy S smartphone line tomorrow.

-Jordan Golson"

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
I call BS. I used an iPhone for over 5 years and recently switched from an iPhone 5 to the Note 2. Love the Note 2 and the whole Android experience. I have a deep respect for both platforms. There is no need to say one is better than the other. They are both great in their own way. Period.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Sounds like someone is fearful of Samsung and Android and the features they have that are useful, that iPhone does not. I'm guessing iOS 7 is more the same. Just because your software/hardware "work together" means squat.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA

Who makes more money? Google or Apple? Who's getting who's ass kicked?

Google makes $0 from Android. They are actually helping foreign companies and hurting American companies in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
What do you mean? :p

He means that android is wining the race mobile os, the cheap part of the market is filled with androids. I need to develop an android app and I got an samsung ace for just 50€ new, granted that it is slow and outdated but I will use it only as a dev device, probably chained to my workstation.

And I do see many people buying new iPhones and they won't notice any difference from the previous gen, it means that people are getting bored.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
"iOS devices don't work seamlessly together" and they come from the same vendor. An Analyst said.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Sounds like someone is fearful of Samsung and Android and the features they have that are useful, that iPhone does not. I'm guessing iOS 7 is more the same. Just because your software/hardware "work together" means squat.

Sounds like you like giving 100% of your money to Korea.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK

Enough of that gaming patter, it's the everyday stuff that Macs do well in. In terms of useful stuff out the box, the Mac PISSES on the PC. Also, you haven't noticed fragmentation because because you've not been on stable platform.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I really can't see what features a Android phone has that really make me think "Gee, I really wish I had an android phone."

but there are plenty of things that make me think

"Gee, I really am glad I don't have an android phone."

but that's just me :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.