Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple please stop.

They fired that HR guy for performing badly, can they do the same for their current advertising guy?

You assume because you think the ads are crap, Apple agrees. Maybe they don't. Maybe they think the ads are awesome, which is why they approved them in the first place and why they approved continuing the series.

Don't confuse your personal opinion with a universal one or with fact

vampyren

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
How are they obnoxious? They show the greatest apps available to a neat beat. They're great!

Some people can only find wrongs in things, i also think its a great ad that actually shows the product and what it can do and that to a good music/beat.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
The problem with showing a dozen apps in 60 seconds is that most people think those apps are available on Android as well, thanks to clueless and lazy bloggers and journalists who simply write about the number of apps on each platform.

I disagree, I find it much more likely that the average Joe would assume that, since this is an Apple commercial, these apps are only available on iPhone... if anything.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
You assume because you think the ads are crap, Apple agrees. Maybe they don't. Maybe they think the ads are awesome, which is why they approved them in the first place and why they approved continuing the series.

Don't confuse your personal opinion with a universal one or with fact

Those same opinions greenlighted the "Genius" ads. Apple needs iconic, not moronic. Less Borg shouting in unison and more silhouetted dancers.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
They should move on to a new style of iPhone ads now. All their ads are too similar to one another now.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Those same opinions greenlighted the "Genius" ads. Apple needs iconic, not moronic. Less Borg shouting in unison and more silhouetted dancers.

And some folks thought those ads weren't as bad as others screamed.

We are allowed differing opinions are we not. Or are we only allowed our opinions if they agree with yours

----------

They should move on to a new style of iPhone ads now. All their ads are too similar to one another now.

or maybe they want the ads to be similar so they are recognized as an Apple Ad before it gets to the end title plate

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Apple needs to come back with something strong. They just let Samsung make a mockery out of the iPhone 5 and the Apple fans. Usually it's Apple doing that.
Even their product release events have become predictable and boring. I hope this is just the calm before the real Apple is back.

I used to despise Samsung's mockery tactics against Apple users but Apple isn't even doing anything to defend against the attacks. It seems they are just sitting there rewriting good apps turning them into bad ones and tweaking stuff gently. I am losing respect for Apple and I think they've run out of ideas while the competition is booming with them. I'll take an iPhone any day over a Samsung phone but the Android OS is so far ahead of iOS it will take drastic measures for Apple to survive the phone market. My 3GS is slow as hell right now and the battery life has decreased to a charge per day level so I will be needing to buy a new phone soon. Apple better hope HTC or Google don't bring out something that kicks ass before that time comes.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
And some folks thought those ads weren't as bad as others screamed.

We are allowed differing opinions are we not. Or are we only allowed our opinions if they agree with yours

Well, shucks! Everybody gets to have an opinion, Charlituna, but the value of individual opinions varies drastically.

If you were the executive whose opinion leads Apple to waste money on one bad advertising campaign after another, others would rightly question your taste, judgment, and yes, opinion.

The jury is in on the "Genius" ads and they were a failure. In a fairly short time, the "Yes! We're all individuals!....Yes, we ARE all different!" campaign ("Brilliant", "Discover", etc., etc., ad nauseum) will also be acknowledged to be disasters.

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This ad campaign is the major driver that makes me think some people are right when they say Apple has lost its luster. I have been ardently defending Apple since the 90s. I buy just about all of their products and I just got myself the new 27" imac. However, everyone knows that part of the magic that is Apple was in the way the package was delivered. I'm talking about Steve Jobs being excited about a new product. I'm talking about the way that Apple painted its competition as old and boring (IBM, Microsoft, etc). This commercial campaign is AWFUL.

I recently attended campaign management school in Washington D.C. A presenter who has designed some of the most famous political ads in the last 25 years had only TWO ads to show us to make his point about really GREAT political advertising. To my surprise, they weren't political ads at all. They were the "think different" and "mac v. pc" ads. He said they were among the greatest ads of all time. Specifically, "mac v. pc" slammed the competition, but did it (he said) in a fun way that everyone had to admit was true.

Advertising at apple has shifted away from edgy and fun ... and morphed into boring, dull, and forgettable. This makes me think that the things people are saying on here about Apple "losing its touch" might just be true. If I was to write an ad for apple ... it would be the easiest thing in the world. Something funny... and yet true. "Hello, I'm an iPhone ... And I'm an Android." Then one of them falls on the ground and says, I just cracked myself because I'm made of cheap plastic.

I respectively disagree with you and the speaker you quote. An ad that has artistic and substantive merit does not necessarily make it effective as a rule. Some of the most effective ads are the a tad annoying, off key or off tempo, because these minor imperfections make them stick in your mind.

I believe apple's most effective ads were the ones that have a double purpose of selling the product's features at the same time as educating the user on how to use those features. The Mac v. PC ads weren't effective because they slammed the competition in a clever way, they were effective because they explained how great OSX is and provided real world examples of where it's great; it gave context. It's the same reason those switch ads were effective. As to the iOS device ads, they're effective because they display usefull apps and functions, and have a hand there to actually visually show you how to use those apps and functions. They sell, and they teach. That duality is the key.

n0m0n

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
HERE
For anyone else who is interested, this is the iPhoto app

Thanks I've been search all over the place for the past few days tying to find out what app that was.
But if it iPhoto how did they get the time, and other options at the bottom?

Are you saying its just a picture?

Thanks

supbilly07

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
Thanks I've been search all over the place for the past few days tying to find out what app that was.
But if it iPhoto how did they get the time, and other options at the bottom?

Are you saying its just a picture?

Thanks

Hi, it's not iPhoto, it's an app called Magic Window. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.