Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rMBP13

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
I recently lost my iphone 5 earphones in the library and I am looking to buy a new one. Apple store sells the new one for $35+tax, whereas on craigslist they're listed around $20-$25... I just want to know how can I possibly be sure that they're authentic with so many fakes out there?

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
Stay away from Craigslist and eBay. There are plenty of fakes there. Best to buy from an authorized Apple seller. Amazon has the Apple Earpods for $24.95 right now.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Dunno man, those eBays look identical to the real thing.

Pssshhh... U serious about ur music, get something close to $100.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I would go this route if you are set on getting the Apple Earpods. Personally, I would try something else as you can get headphones that sound much better for around the same price.

Any suggestions what kind?

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Klipsch earbuds are excellent. I tried my Apple ones once and promptly put them back in the box.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I dig the earpods. I'm not an audiophile and mostly listen to podcasts with them so it doesn't make sense to spend $100 on a better pair. They stay in a little better than previous ones and I even found a add on clip called the Earbudi that helps them stay in even better. I ordered a set of iphone accessories from google offers that included what claimed to be "real" Apple earpods, but they weren't. Everything looked the same, even the square box the earpods were packaged in, but didn't have the Apple logo on the back. The feel of the earpods was noticeably inferior and the volume button was noisy, unlike the real ones. They're wearing out quick and the sound quality is cheap. So yeah, beware. I learned my lesson and only buy from reputable sources now. Not sure I'd even trust the ones on Amazon. In America they are $29.95 from Apple. Where do you live that they are $35?

Sh00tingStar

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I've purchased three sets of the iPhone 5 Earpod type from SW-Box for $6.37 each, and that's with free shipping. I keep one in each car and one to carry in a pocket. They are every bit as good as the genuine Apple sets at 1/5th the cost. One set arrived in 7 days, and the others took 2-3 weeks each.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Klipsch earbuds are excellent. I tried my Apple ones once and promptly put them back in the box.

I second this. I bought my Klipsch Image S4i headphones a couple years ago and have been nothing but satisfied. In fact, the earpods that came with my iPhone 5 have not even been opened. There's no point in using them if I have the Klipsch S4i. The price tag might be a turn off for most though.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Am not golden ears either but a good pairs of passive noise blocking phones... Should be on ur bucket list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.