Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Not really. iOS has its pros, most definitely, but isn't so good that it makes Android look like an unusable mess in comparison. Hard as it is for some people to believe, there are some things Android phones do better than the iPhone.

Agreed.

iOS is nice. It's solid and proven and well integrated with everything.

But Android OS is quite nice too: it has some features that I wish Apple would adopt, and the UI is a bit more customizable.

I'm not saying Android OS is better or worse than iOS. But some people I talk to in r/l think Android OS is as ugly as using the Linux Command Line. They need to either grow up or try one without the Apple Reality Distortion Field activated: the difference isn't that great anymore.

Also, Android has been incrementally upgrading the UI over the years while iOS hasn't changed the UI much since the original iPhone. So honestly, I think Apple needs to step up their game before they're left in the dust.

Last edited:

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
I have an iPhone and I know Apple is going to find a way to ruin this app. It's a god send on my friend's Nexus 4 since most of the work is done in the background something Apple doesn't really allow.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Also, Android has been incrementally upgrading the UI over the years while iOS hasn't changed the UI much since the original iPhone. So honestly, I think Apple needs to step up their game before they're left in the dust.
But Apple has pushed simplicity and ease enough that their "simpleton" owners may not welcome drastic changes<cough>innovation</cough>.
I mean Grandma is now onboard.:p

Change, be innovative and require the Apple consumers to adopt to change appears to be something Apple is fearing to do.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
----------

[/COLOR]

True, but Im pretty sure bots don't read your emails from me.com/icloud.com, and when you delete your email, it's really deleted and not kept forever in a database. I could be wrong, but gmail is proven that they do this and I've never heard anyone claim that Apple did this.

If no bot reads your email can you explain how anti spam filters can work in icloud?

Any source about Google not deleting the emails? If you say it is proven you will have at least one

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I do not think it is a good idea to be served personalised results. I believe that people should be exposed to information outside of their "box".

I sell books for a living and it gives me a chance to discover a large scope of various information-streams. It often bothers me that the bestsellers are usually the ones advertised the most. There are other truly great books out there. You know, the essential reads. But as a consumer/google-user/facebook-subscriber, you are simply not made aware, if you are not searching directly for that specific information, in the first place. It seems to me that you are made aware of what someone wants you to sell and what you are most likely to buy, figuratively speaking.:)

I try to maintain an open mind and I believe google helps many people, but since it's all free, at what cost?:)

Thanks for you explanation

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I find it utterly appalling the ease at which people pick up a weapon and battle on greed's behalf without even being asked. You say realist, I say mouthpiece of greed. FFTFY.
The invasion of privacy is already here. I'm merely benefiting from it. You're sticking your head in the sand, hoping it's not real if only you don't use Google apps.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
The invasion of privacy is already here. I'm merely benefiting from it. You're sticking your head in the sand, hoping it's not real if only you don't use Google apps.

If you pick an iPhone, your life is no longer private, same with Android or any other phone. Your phone, no matter what brand or OS, knows every place you have been.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If you pick an iPhone, your life is no longer private, same with Android or any other phone. Your phone, no matter what brand or OS, knows every place you have been.
Exactly. Unless you have no phone, are homeless, always use cash, only access the Internet at the library and without ever logging in, and so on, your privacy is non-existant.

No, wait, because public cameras would still be watching you whenever you weren't inside your cardboard box.

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA
Seems to me people are running out of cool things to invent, and now reaching down to the bottom of the barrel to grab at something...

Nothing I'm interested in

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
that's just wishful thinking

Could be. The increasing pace of Android adoption may be due to factors other than the great software and services offered by Google.

Likely the better hardware from Android manufacturers is another one of the factors leading to Android's rise and iOS's fall.

----------

Well, my opinion is that the typical Android user is not who you'd think it would be. It's not a sophisticated user, but a value seeking user. "I need a smartphone, but I don't need a fancy one, just something cheap." That person I bet is the overwhelming majority,

Maybe that is true, But it is likely true that the typical iPhone user is someone who is afraid of technology."I need a smartphone, but I don't need a fancy one, just something that I can figure out how to play fart noises [or Angry Birds or browse Facebook] with. " That person I bet is the overwhelming majority.

Indeed, that is Apple's current target market.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Maybe that is true, But it is likely true that the typical iPhone user is someone who is afraid of technology."I need a smartphone, but I don't need a fancy one, just something that I can figure out how to play fart noises [...]

How to disqualify yourself in a discussion and show that you're just another troll 101...

Oh, and too bad that Samsung never releases official sales numbers, but seeing that they sold a 100 million Galaxy S (their premium brand, competing directly with the iPhone) in the 2 and a half years from June 2010 to January 2013, 10+x million of the Galaxy Note and 5+ y of the Galaxy Note 2 for a combined number of 115 + x + y (lets say 125) million devices in the premium segment and Samsung being the one Android manufacturer with a real impact, Apple fares quite well^^

Apple sold at least 260 million iPhones in that timeframe (i was too lazy to doublecheck my calculations and i also rounded down numbers (even with x.76 million or similar numbers, was too lazy to type the decimal places), each of them costing more than a comparable Galaxy S of the same generation (SGS 1 - iPhone 4, SGS II - iPhone 4S, SGS III - iPhone 5), especially long after the release, when you can get the SGS 1 for 250€ and the iPhone 4 still costs 400€.

Do you really think that Samsung - and other manufacturers - sold more iPhone-class devices than Apple?
That there are more HTC One X and SGS II than iPhone 4S in the hands of users?

Android marketshare comes from sub-100$ to 250$ devices.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Exactly. Unless you have no phone, are homeless, always use cash, only access the Internet at the library and without ever logging in, and so on, your privacy is non-existant.

No, wait, because public cameras would still be watching you whenever you weren't inside your cardboard box.

What you speak really is the truth. People want privacy like they always seem to talk about yet in this day and age, yes even in the United States you're not going to get your privacy.

If you don't trust Google you should get rid of all your devices then, especially your Apple devices also.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
hahahahahahahahahahaha thanks, your post is so hilarious I had a right good laugh at you! hhahahaha.

It's so full of FUD, yeah got any PROOF that android users never browse or buy apps then? Or IAP's?
Then again your comment about 'giving menus away to the homeless' pretty much sums up your total lack of knowledge of Android and it's users.

yeah, all the web browsing stats. How come if Android is winning, that stats always show IOS has a MASSIVE lead
http://phandroid.com/2012/12/04/ios-vs-android-web-traffic/

http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/03/07/tablets.slightly.more.popular.than.smartphones.for.paid.internet.service/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/dec/04/ios-android-revenues-downloads-country

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
i am really hopeful for this since more often than not Google Now works faster and better than Siri.

I hope this will push apple to make siri better.

----------

Because most iPhone users use their phone as a smartphone.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Those people don't buy apps, don't surf the web and probably don't really know they are running Android.
They are using their devices as feature phones or dumbphones.

Sources? Too many and all of them have been linked to in this forum in the last few days a hundred times.

Marketshare is worthless if those people are included, because they are not benefitting the owner of the ecosystem or the other people who earn profits in the ecosystem (aka developers) in any meaningful way.

If you think of game consoles, those companies often touting how high their marketshare and the game consoles sales are.

Because a higher marketshare means more developers will develop games for the system and all the people who have bought that system can then play those games.

Now think of someone who bought the Playstation 3 ONLY because it was one of the cheapest BluRay players around at the time of its release.
Someone who is not interested in games, doesn't have children or a partner who's interested in games.

Should he be counted in the marketshare?

If you were a developer, would you want him to be counted in the marketshare?

A more recent example will be the Ouya game console, which is running Android.

Many Android fans see it as the second coming of youknowwho and say how it will be a total success.

Total sales of the device have been (as far as i know it, the numbers are about a month old) 70k devices sold.

70k is absolutely NOTHING for a game console.

Whats making it worse is, that the Ouya is also one of the cheapest available Tegra 3 devices and many people in the boards mentioned how they are going to buy it to use it as a media player in the living room.
Like the Raspberry Pi, a very cheap developer board meant to be used by children. The full initial supply was bought by 30year old people who wanted to use it as a media player.

Will the Ouyas which will never see a game, because they are being used to stream the ripped bluray collection to the TV be counted as marketshare in gaming devices?

If you were to develop a game, would you want those devices to be counted as devices sold to gamers?

There are Android users who use their devices as much as the regular iOS users, there are also Android users who use their devices much more than the regular Android user - but both of them are in the minority and the majority of Android users don't use their devices as smartphones.

What other explanation is there, to explain why Android dwarfs iOS in "marketshare", but is even more dwarfed by iOS in statistics like web usage (please don't say that all Android users switch their browser agent), buying stuff online, paying for in-flight-wireless, app revenue etc.?

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
How do you know? It's not on iOS & this is just a rumor.

As far as I know, Google Now can't even do those sort of things (send texts, etc) on Android...let alone the possibility of an iOS derivative. Google Voice Actions have been able to do that for quite some time...but Google Now is a different service.

----------

Google Now can all of that and more.

You're confusing Google Now with "Google Voice Actions"...but I'd really like if you can you send me a link/video where it talks about Google Now (not Google Voice Actions) sending a text? Launching Apps? Playing Music?

I'm almost 100% that Google Now cannot perform those actions. Google Voice Actions is a totally separate service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.