Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiveoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
I got my iphone 4 unlocked by ATT and did a backup and restore to factory settings. I got the your phone is now unlocked messgage. Can I now restore from backup to get all my old info or will that lock the phone again?

hungryteresa

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Everyone,

I contacted AT&T on Friday regarding unlocking my iPhone 4. I received the email saying I just need to just backup my iPhone and restore. I went through the entire process of backing up and restoring from backup. However, I don't see any message on iTunes confirming that my iPhone is unlocked. So, do I need to restore back to factory settings and then restore from my backup? Or do I need to reach out to AT&T again?

TSKY74

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I contacted AT&T on Friday regarding unlocking my iPhone 4. I received the email saying I just need to just backup my iPhone and restore. I went through the entire process of backing up and restoring from backup. However, I don't see any message on iTunes confirming that my iPhone is unlocked. So, do I need to restore back to factory settings and then restore from my backup? Or do I need to reach out to AT&T again?

I was in the same boat. I never got the message, but when I used a website (http://dev.mk/) to check my IMEI status, it showed it was unlocked. Simply go buy a $10 t-mobile micro sim and put it in and it should work.

hungryteresa

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the advice! I actually decided I had nothing to lose so I restored to factory settings and after my iPhone restarted, I saw the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked." message! For other people who are unlocking their iPhones via AT&T, just backup your iPhone and then restore to factory settings and then you can restore to your most recent backup after.

I was in the same boat. I never got the message, but when I used a website (http://dev.mk/) to check my IMEI status, it showed it was unlocked. Simply go buy a $10 t-mobile micro sim and put it in and it should work.

mariosarry

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
1.Download and install the latest version of iTunes. Open iTunes. Plug your iPhone into your computer. If this is the first time you are connecting the iPhone, you need to wait as it is installed in your computer.

2.Select your iPhone from the list of devices on the left side of iTunes.Click the Summary tab on the top of the window.

3.Select Restore, which is about halfway down the page. You will be asked if you want to backup your iPhone. Select Backup, as you might need to restore the iPhone to this backup later on. When the backup is finished, you will be prompted to confirm your restore. Select Restore when asked once more.

4.Allow your iPhone to restore and install all of its default factory software. Leave your iPhone plugged into your computer until the process is complete. You will see a prompt that says Connect to iTunes, so do not touch the phone until that goes away. When the prompt goes away, the installation is finished.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.