Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noticed by Macworld UK, Apple today introduced a new configuration option for its 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs, allowing customers to choose a VESA mount adapter instead of the standard foot. The $40 option allows users to mount their iMacs to walls or other vertical surfaces, but must be configured at the time of purchase.
The iMac with Built-in VESA Mount Adapter is ready to pair with your favorite VESA-compatible wall mount, desk mount, or articulating arm (sold separately). This iMac doesn't include a stand, so a mount is required. If you don't already have a mount, you can purchase one when you configure your iMac.
imac_2012_vesa.jpg
Apple is currently quoting shipping estimates of 7-10 business days for VESA-equipped iMacs, compared to immediate availability for standard models.

Article Link: Apple Now Offering iMacs Equipped With VESA Mount Adapters as $40 Upgrade

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
The fact that later on you can't go with the stock stand is a huge turn off for me (and that I already have one without the VESA adapter too...)

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
iMac TV's

This is the true beginning of Apple's foray into actual TV sets. Here it comes.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Isn't it a bit cheeky charging for this, as it is offered instead of the foot, not as well as?

Agreed. They're just swapping one piece of aluminum for another.

I currently have my 2010 iMac wall-mounted and I'm really happy with that setup. This makes the new iMac a more attractive prospect for me, but first I'm going to wait to see what the new MacPro is like.

amm203

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Finally...

Hey Apple finally showed what the iMac looks like in profile view on their website!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

this would be awesome if it could have the stand also. Can the regular iMac be wall mounted or does it require this one?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Finally! To me this is the precursor to "Apple TV with display". To be an AppleTV at all you only need an A5 processor, but an integrated Mac and ATV will provide far more capabilities, and the higher cost of the Mac is folded into the higher value of a retina display screen.

On the Mac rumors Mac-Mini forum you see threads like Mini as a Plex server and Home Theater. This is the first step to designating one of the TV's in your home as the server and content storage unit. Other users (displays) can be streamed to or be connected for computing with a wireless or wired network. I for one have had enough wifi dropouts I wired my place.

I would like to see a thread/forum for the physical layout and hardware choices for multi-room multi-purpose media and compute environments in the home or office.

Rocketman

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16991936/

Last edited:

mariocapo

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Las Vegas
Wow. This is a disappointing way for Apple to go about handling things. So if you bought one already, too bad. And if you want to buy one, you're committing to not being able to use a pedestal stand? I don't mount mine, but that's still a crappy way to handle it.

amm203

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
this would be awesome if it could have the stand also. Can the regular iMac be wall mounted or does it require this one?

You can buy aftermarket ones and have the stand removed and replaced with a wall mount pretty easily. Quick google search for "iMac wall mount" will show ya what I mean. Also, Apple sells VESA mount adapters for the same price as this upgrade option. This must mean that either the new iMac's don't support the mount adapter or Apple's just trying to make it simpler for the consumer by taking out the work of installing the mount yourself.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I don't see why contributors are suggesting this move points towards a TV set. VESA mounting iMacs and ACDs has been possible, and officially supported by Apple in the form of supplying the needed accessories for a long time, over many iterations of the designs.

This move today simply brings the VESA mount possibility of the current iMac in line with past models.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
I for one am happy to see this but agree it would have been better as a "either or" no cost option. As for once I'm passing this on, I expect someone by then will be selling a "stand" to which the vesa mount can be attached.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
It's probably a totally different back, not a cool way of doing it, but I'll reserve judgement until detailed photos are available. at least there is the option though. Once I mounted my monitor, I never went back to a stand so not sure I really care, but options are nice, especially for resale.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Wow. This is a disappointing way for Apple to go about handling things. So if you bought one already, too bad. And if you want to buy one, you're committing to not being able to use a pedestal stand? I don't mount mine, but that's still a crappy way to handle it.

There will be 3rd party stands soon, not apple no but there's a market.

Or from the configuration page you can choose the following options

Bretford MobilePro Wall Mount [Add $139.95]
Bretford MobilePro Desk Mount [Add $179.95]
Sanus Swivel Column Clamp Mount VMD2-B1 [Add $179.95]
Bretford MobilePro Desk Mount Combo [Add $239.95]

Edit: enlarged screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 20.20.22.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 20.20.22.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Isn't it a bit cheeky charging for this, as it is offered instead of the foot, not as well as?

Not really. They had to engineer this for very few people who will buy them. They cost more. Who knows, maybe the $40 price IS the subsidized cost after they keep the stand.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I hope I'm being pessimistic, but my first thought was "ugh, this is their first step towards trying to convince us that the iMac is a suitable Mac Pro replacement."

I do think I'm wrong, but that was totally my first thought.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Ordered.

Yep, this was the ONLY issue keeping me from buying an iMac, as I have a really neat desk-clamp VESA stand that I absolutely love.

I'm glad Apple realized that this was a need in their customer base. They have been going so consumer-centric lately that it feels like they've had no consideration for those of us with unusual needs. This is a big step for them to regain that trust.

Now if they can only get their Mac Pros updated. I don't personally need one, but I know many people do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.