Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cramazing

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2012
All the old tricks in terminal just give "Colour LCD" Used to give you the serial number which you could then Google....No luck I'm afraid.

----------

A word about battery life here too. I know that it comes out on top of the list for battery hours, but I've been using the newbie on battery power for 4 hours now...Nothing intensive, but I still have 50%. Very good considering the retina screen. Makes me even more confused as to why MS can only get a measly 3-4 hours out of their "Surface Pro" I'm guessing I'll get around 6-7 hours in light use. That's impressive.

I guess just try to do the Checker broad test, i did the same thing on the 15"

in my first test with an LG screen, the IR was there after the 1st test it was noticeable, then i return that and got a 2nd one and it turned out to be a Samsung screen, ran the test a few times and nothing, no IR.
did the same with my 13" ran the same test, same way as the 1st two, and no IR, ran the test a few times too

Nov 28, 2010
located
After almost two months of usage, do you still think of the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display as good replacement for your 17" MBP?

I am about to purchase a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display to complement my i7 Hackintosh (the iMac is not for me due to many factors and the Mac Pro is too powerful for my needs), as my 2009 17" MBP comes a bit long in the teeth and rarely use it anymore.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
After almost two months of usage, do you still think of the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display as good replacement for your 17" MBP?

I am about to purchase a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display to complement my i7 Hackintosh (the iMac is not for me due to many factors and the Mac Pro is too powerful for my needs), as my 2009 17" MBP comes a bit long in the teeth and rarely use it anymore.

I honestly do. I was prepared to buy the 15" if I felt the smaller 13" was inadequate...after 5 weeks use I am sold completely.....I don't miss the 17" at all. It does depend on what you are doing, and you do have to adjust to the settings, finding out what's best for you, but I'm working it and am very pleased indeed with it, particularly it's speed....the large SSD and the 3GHZ CPU, coupled with the retina display really does work.

If you are in any doubt, see if you can get hands on with them, the only reason I didn't buy the 15" was that I wanted the smallest possible form factor with enough power to do real work....it fits the bill 100%. I sold my MBA to help fund the rMBP, but don't regret the sake of my 17" at all.....and I was very skeptical at first....left it a long time before I took the plunge.

jjblinky

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
I sold my MBA to help fund the rMBP, but don't regret the sake of my 17" at all.....and I was very skeptical at first....left it a long time before I took the plunge.

In terms of form factor - How do you find the rMBP compares the MBA? Is it noticeably larger/heavier, in a bad way?

I switched from a MBP15 (circa 2009) to an MBA13 (2011) a while ago. I'd never go back to the MBP15 as its too big. I love the light weight MBA and I 've been waiting for the rMBA, but this could be while and serious money. I'm now considering a decent spec'd rMBP13. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
In terms of form factor - How do you find the rMBP compares the MBA? Is it noticeably larger/heavier, in a bad way?

I switched from a MBP15 (circa 2009) to an MBA13 (2011) a while ago. I'd never go back to the MBP15 as its too big. I love the light weight MBA and I 've been waiting for the rMBA, but this could be while and serious money. I'm now considering a decent spec'd rMBP13. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The first thing I did notice was that compared to the MBA it's thicker, and heavier, but not in a bad way, and it does have a much bigger battery and cooling system. It's not that heavy though, but there is a big difference in thickness. When you get used to carting a 17" cMBP around though its like a breathe of fresh air....perfectly comfortable on my laptop tray...unlike the beast which weighed a ton. When you consider the power of the rMBP it still astonishes me they managed to get it as small and light as it is.

agenda893

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
Based on info from here and a couple of other boards, the attached is the proposed spec for the 13" Only concern I have is 8GB of RAm is the only option on the 13" range....Only way to get 16GB is to max out the 15" which I'm trying to avoid

Ideas?

16GBs of Ram on a dual core CPU is overkill and wouldn't make much difference in real world performance. 8GBs is perfectly fine in the 13". I've got the 2.6GHz i7 15" rMBP with 16GBs of ram and only need it in rare instances where I'm doing a lot of work in multiple virtual environments.

macnehal

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
Hello there, thanks for posting your experience with the 13rMBP. Besides the IR/Ghosting problem, which may be prevalent (and widely discussed) - did you have any issues with webpage scrolling? Did you notice a small time delay in the image correcting itself to be sharper (even text) after you re-size windows or use gestures to scroll web pages? In summary - do you feel any lag on the graphics side in general? Kindly share that. Thanks.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
To OP,

Do you scale your resolution to 1680x1050 for more screen real estate? If so, any noticeable lag/issues? That'd be my main reason for going for the 13in rMBP, as a 1680x1050 resolution is higher than the 11in MBA, 13in MBA, 13in MBP, 15in MBP, equal to the 15in MBP with AG, and higher than the 15in rMBP (in retina mode). So it'd be a lot of screen in a small laptop.

Currently have a 13in MBA, but would love a higher resolution.

Nov 28, 2010
located
To OP,

Do you scale your resolution to 1680x1050 for more screen real estate? If so, any noticeable lag/issues? That'd be my main reason for going for the 13in rMBP, as a 1680x1050 resolution is higher than the 11in MBA, 13in MBA, 13in MBP, 15in MBP, equal to the 15in MBP with AG, and higher than the 15in rMBP (in retina mode). So it'd be a lot of screen in a small laptop.

Currently have a 13in MBA, but would love a higher resolution.

Thanks for asking, as I have the same intent.

Coincidentally, I just have seen the 1,500 € base 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display model on eBay for 2,100 €. Strange sellers.
Anyway, I will probably just go with the base 128 GB model, as an additional 128 GB is not worth 200 € for me, even if I get another 100 MHz out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.