Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KYBOSH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
When clean installing Leopard you have option to customize your install to include or omit over 2GB worth of language support.

If I installed it but now rather have my 2GB back (since I wont be computing in Russian anytime in the near future) how can I do this?

I really don't want to reinstall Leopard to accomplish this and there should be a way to do this easily.

TIA

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
delocalizer or monolingual.

if you use mono, make sure you DO NOT remove any of the architecture files (uncheck them ALL).

KYBOSH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
That XSlimmer seems to be just what the doctor ordered!
I didnt know you could strip a program of unwanted/unneeded code?!

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
When clean installing Leopard you have option to customize your install to include or omit over 2GB worth of language support.

If I installed it but now rather have my 2GB back (since I wont be computing in Russian anytime in the near future) how can I do this?

I really don't want to reinstall Leopard to accomplish this and there should be a way to do this easily.

TIA
What is 2 Gigs worth of stuff on the average HD today? Hardly a fart really.
If you need 2 Gigs that badly, you probably need a new computer.

The only really annoying thing about the localisation files IMO is the cluttering of the font menu with dozens and dozens of fonts that you will never use and all look similar to the ones you will use. Those are easy to get rid of though. The part of localisation that controls the multi-lingual support on the other hand is hidden deep in the system and never bothers anyone other than using a bit of space.

PatrickC

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Be sure to back up everything first...I used monolingual with Leopard and I was doing a clean install the next day when it wouldn't start up. Tread cautiously...

KYBOSH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
What is 2 Gigs worth of stuff on the average HD today? Hardly a fart really.
If you need 2 Gigs that badly, you probably need a new computer.

I have a 250GB internal HD and a 500GB External one.
I bought the EX when the IN started to get crowded.
Only 20gb is used on the internal and the external is less than half full.

2gb is a lot to me.... Especially if it being used for rubbish.
And if a program like XSlimmer can get my program files down to 70% of what it normally is (unneeded languages, codes and fonts).... I might not have to have had to spend the $$$ on the external drive in the first place.

And my computer is new (refurbished actually).

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Clone your system to an external HD. Erase and install leopard with the custom options you want. Migration assistant to transfer files and apps from the external HD clone. All better. And you know what, 2GB actually IS a lot of space.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Be sure to back up everything first...I used monolingual with Leopard and I was doing a clean install the next day when it wouldn't start up. Tread cautiously...

I bet you removed the architecture files (architecture tab), didn't you.
:D:D:D

KYBOSH

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Damn you guys are good!

I ran Xslimmer and cleared 1.93GB from 93 app and another 2gb using DeLocalizer.

Thanks a lot

cshuman

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2003
Goddard, KS
Don't Use Monolingual

I know this is an old thread, but I just used Monolingual last night and had to do a clean install. It is NOT a safe application. I did not heed the above warnings. Don't make the same mistake I did.

I double and triple checked my settings and selected only to keep English. Started Chrome before the process was complete only to find English had been removed.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know this is an old thread, but I just used Monolingual last night and had to do a clean install. It is NOT a safe application. I did not heed the above warnings. Don't make the same mistake I did.

I double and triple checked my settings and selected only to keep English. Started Chrome before the process was complete only to find English had been removed.
Monolingual is safe to use IF you pay attention to what you're doing, as you should with any such app. You should also make a current backup before attempting to use any such app. You should check the items you want to remove, not the ones you want to keep.
ScreenCap 2013-02-01 at Fri, Feb 1,4.20.50 PM .PNG

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

suelay

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2006
Removing Architecture files

So let me get this right - people are finding that it isn't even safe to remove PowerPC files if they are on Intel??

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Disk storage is cheap. Hacking (in the butchery sense) your files up just to squeeze a couple of gigs more free space is not worth the inevitable aggravation.

Am I ever going to use those Chinese resource files on my computer? No.
Does it matter if they stay there? No.
Might it matter if they are removed? Yes.

With Code-signing of apps, invasive alteration to package contents may cause an app to stop working.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Disk storage is cheap. Hacking (in the butchery sense) your files up just to squeeze a couple of gigs more free space is not worth the inevitable aggravation.

Am I ever going to use those Chinese resource files on my computer? No.
Does it matter if they stay there? No.
Might it matter if they are removed? Yes.

With Code-signing of apps, invasive alteration to package contents may cause an app to stop working.
It is important for those who want to maximize their internal storage space to avoid having to carry an external drive, especially those with MBA or MBPr models. It's not a problem at all if unused architectures are removed. As far as languages, there have been a few instances where an app didn't perform as expected if a certain non-English language was removed, but such cases are extremely rare and none involved removing the Chinese language. If you run a backup before using Monolingual (as you should before performing any such operation), it's perfectly safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.