Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cbs.jpg
CBS has a new app that allows U.S. viewers to watch full ad-supported HD episodes of television shows from the network, typically one week after they air.

The company launched an app earlier this year that shows second-screen content synchronized with whatever the user is watching.
Watch full episodes of your favorite CBS shows with the CBS app for iPad and iPhone! Enjoy primetime, daytime and late night episodes from America's Most Watched Network.

Catch NCIS, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, How I Met Your Mother, Survivor, Elementary, The Young And The Restless, The Late Show with David Letterman and many more. Use the 'My CBS' feature to be notified when episodes of your favorite shows have been added to the app.
CBS is a universal app available free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: CBS Releases Streaming App for iPhone and iPad, Full Episodes Delayed One Week

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
I just wish the Big 4 networks would offer ad-supprted live streaming like ESPN does for their family of networks.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
AWESOME! Some of my fav shows are on CBS. Elementary, Good Wife, Person of Interest, Big Bang Theory NCIS etc

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
If it is adsupported it should be live like ESPN or next day like most of the networks. One week is ridiculous.

Luckily with my DirecTV dvr and my Slingbox, I can watch pretty much anything at my discretion.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
"delayed by one week" and those stuck in the 90s execs wonder why ppl download illegally when said eps r avab online 5 mins after having aired

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Torrents show up two hours BEFORE broadcasting Pacific time, since the torrent shows up right after the Eastern broadcast.

I get why movies aren't released on iTunes, etc. as they are in the theaters (because one purchase could be viewed by many) but that rationale doesn't apply to TV broadcasts (as it is, one person could share it with many).

Networks, and premium channels, should simply make their stuff available immediately, as it's broadcast, on services like iTunes.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
It doesn't seem to require verification of a cable subscription, so it's a good step forward.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Yeah, one week's delay is ridiculous. If they're going to have unskippable commercials there's no reason to not have it either next day or within an hour after it airs. Hell, I'd be willing to pay a small monthly subscription fee for that as well, similar to how some of the anime streaming sites do- non-subscription users would have a bit of a wait, and for $5/month or so you could watch the shows an hour after they aired (either with no commercials or with minimal ones at the beginning)...

Pklink04

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
It doesn't seem to require verification of a cable subscription, so it's a good step forward.

I dont think any nationally broadcasted channels (i.e. ABC, NBC) require cable verification, because you can just pick it broadcasts for free (rabbit ears). It's the channels that already require a cable subscription to watch on TV (i.e. TBS, HBO, ESPN etc.) that require it on the ios app as well.

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Just don't get it, do they?

One week delay? Really?
Anyone who doubts the existence of dinosaurs only needs to watch the decision-makers at the three networks flounder. They provide all the evidence needed to back up the (continuation of the) fossil record.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Networks, and premium channels, should simply make their stuff available immediately, as it's broadcast, on services like iTunes.
To be fair, network programmings are subsidized by cable/satellite carriers and network affiliates. So offering shows online immediately (with fewer commercials to boot) would undermine network's ability to negotiate.

Although one week seems a bit long (ABC and NBC apps offer shows the next day), it is an encouraging trend nevertheless. Fox is now the sole holdout among major US networks as ABC, CBS, CW, and NBC all offer primetime shows on mobile. And frankly, I am in no hurry to watch any of the shows on CBS.

This move also undermines Hulu, which is largely dependent on Fox, international programmings, and strong device support to sustain its value.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Something tells me that Warners will block Person of interest from this just like they have blocked it from being in iTunes to purchase (not even season one is up)

I agree with those that say these tactics encourage rather than discourage torrents etc. within a couple of days with perhaps 2-3 commercials at the too might go over okay but a week with embedded ads isn't going to change anyone's mind when they can get a torrent same night and no ads

engbjm

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
One Week is a long time?!

I'm always playing catch-up with my DVR.

I would never notice. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.