Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManUtdFan44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Hey there,

So I've been reading quite a few threads in this forum to give myself a grasp of what sort of purchase I wish to make. From what I have gathered the Pro has been recommended as the better one to have for CS6 and overall video/image ussage where as the Air is the quicker of the two and easier to get around with. My shortlist is now down to two and I really cant decide, I hope some advice can help.

The options are as follows:
(Bare in mind both laptops will have an already purchased USB 3.0 1tb harddrive complimenting it, and both models have been upgraded from their bases.)

Option 1) The MacBook Air 11inch
Specs:
2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage
Intel HD Graphics 4000
= £1,129.01

vs.

Option 2) The MacBook Pro 13inch
Specs:
2.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Intel HD Graphics 4000
=£1,079.00

So as you can see my budget is between £1,000 to £1,150. The uses undertaken on this computer will involve mostly browsing the web, writing documents and presentations, and amateur cs6 and iMovie use. I imagine both can undertake my needs to some degree.

I would say my priorities, in importance, are as follows, (1 - most, 5 - least):
(1) General fastness, in the sense of opening and closing applications.
(2) Best programme use capabillities, i.e. Pages, CS6, iMovie.
(3) Longevity.
(4) Screen size.
(5) Portability.

Any advice or help would be truly appreciated. What do you think?

Briax

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
I would go for the MacBook Pro and then add an SSD myself..
It would be around the same as the air you've configured.
Furthermore you'll be able to upgrade it to 16GB ram when you want to ^^..
Soo.. yeah.. MBR would be my choice out of the 2 :)

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
The 13incher MBP, why? Because you can it adapt to your future needs, whenever your needs change. Are you in an educational establishment, or are you working for business?

ManUtdFan44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
The 13incher MBP, why? Because you can it adapt to your future needs, whenever your needs change. Are you in an educational establishment, or are you working for business?

I'm a student at the moment but graduating very soon. Something that currently annoys me with my current laptop, a 3 year old Sony vaio, is the lack of speed when opening programmes. This is something that attracts me to the air and ssd. Along with its design. Would I with my uses, e.g; essays, surfing the net, amateur cs6/iMovie, really notice the difference between an air i5/i7 to a pro i5? I understand more ram is the most important aspect to add.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Are in you university then? If so you can get 15% off Macs. For example the 13inch you quoted in your OP is 927.60 on the educational store(looking at my uni right now). The rMBP 13 is £1074

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
General quickness

For general quickness, an SSD is integral. No processor will come close to impacting opening and closing apps, transferring files or anything similar like an SSD will.

Either get the MBA or upgrade the MBP's HD to an SSD.

No question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.