Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update 1.1, addressing an issue with frame rates while playing graphics-heavy games and fixing several other bugs.
About MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update v1.1

This update resolves a rare issue where users may experience slow frame rates when playing graphics-intensive games on the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It also includes bug fixes for Power Nap, wake from sleep and fan control.
retina_macbook_pro_hand.jpg

Retina MacBook Pro owners will no doubt be testing the update to see whether the fan control bug fixes mentioned in the release notes address the widespread complaints with fan speed spikes under relatively low loads.

Article Link: Apple Releases Retina MacBook Pro SMC Update to Address Gaming Frame Rates and Fan Issues

Last edited:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Seems like a long time for something that should have been a priority since the get go for a machine of this caliber.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I just downloaded it. Everything went flawless, except for one thing. Restarting. The fans blasted as the computer started up again, lasted a second or two but other than that, it was fine.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
great news! I hope it works and i no longer have to reset the SMC before playing WoW

schmidp

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2006
Vienna, Austria
I just downloaded it. Everything went flawless, except for one thing. Restarting. The fans blasted as the computer started up again, lasted a second or two but other than that, it was fine.

This is the expected behaviour. The fans run on full power to protect your components during the update.

mstrshikadance

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2008

if you read the installation instructions, it said to expect that.

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012

fans going full on happens at firmware updates,that's normal.

Michason

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012

Same here. Never had any fans issues before though. I think this was intended.

ChadMobley

Jul 12, 2012
Florida
It tells you before you restart that the fans will do that, that was meant to happen.

dannyp1996

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
United Kingdom
Seems like a long time for something that should have been a priority since the get go for a machine of this caliber.

Any piece of technology will be improved over time with driver/software/firmware updates. It happens all the time. Just look at the latest graphics drivers for windows from AMD. They improve performance greatly in many games. This doesn't necessarily mean that the associated GPUs weren't great in the first place, it means that they have just got even better.

Same goes for the Retina MacBook Pro or any other device.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Been a lot of complaints about lags from Retina MacBook Pro owners in the 10.8.3 beta forums. I wonder if this will resolve a lot of their difficulties. Now just waiting for 10.8.3 itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.