Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the base storage be bumped up to 32gb?

• Yes, the base model will be 32GB

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • No, it will remain 16GB

Votes: 34 60.7%

• Total voters

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I hope the base moves to 32 16 is just not enough but I would never use 64 or 128 makes doing a restore nearly take hours to restore, other phones with 16 have the ability to use sd and micro sd storage so I hope so

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I'm not disagreeing with you, but most iPhone users nowadays are light users in that they have an iPhone, just to have an iPhone.

Then they can get the older model. The newer model can come with 32 GB by default.
I just think it's ridiculous that Apple charges $100 for a $10 upgrade. Then everyone thinks storage is so expensive that Apple couldn't afford to give us 32 GB. If they want to charge an extra $50 for 32 GB that would be reasonable, but this inflated pricing has to stop or they will lose customers that want more storage.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Then they can get the older model. The newer model can come with 32 GB by default.
I just think it's ridiculous that Apple charges $100 for a $10 upgrade. Then everyone thinks storage is so expensive that Apple couldn't afford to give us 32 GB. If they want to charge an extra $50 for 32 GB that would be reasonable, but this inflated pricing has to stop or they will lose customers that want more storage.

But where will they go? Samsung and HTC are the same way.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
But where will they go? Samsung and HTC are the same way.

Many people may skip upgrading. I skipped the iPhone 5 partly because of the high price of the 64 GB model. I have lots of upgrades available, and would love a new phone. But there is no way I am spending $500 (64 GB price with AppleCare) every year. That sounds more like the price a 128 GB model should be.

I think I should be able to get slightly more storage on the phone I buy this year than the one I bought two years ago for the same price. Is than unreasonable? Why should Apple improve everything else and not the storage? I really don't get why the majority opinion doesn't even seem to want more storage since it would really be a very minor price increase on Apple's part.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan

That's a nice point there's one other thing I would like to add, there's no reason that apple shouldn't give us 32gb for $200, that 16gb will allow me to buy more music and apps from apple which would quickly make up on the $10 it cost them for that extra 16gb.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
That's a nice point there's one other thing I would like to add, there's no reason that apple shouldn't give us 32gb for $200, that 16gb will allow me to buy more music and apps from apple which would quickly make up on the $10 it cost them for that extra 16gb.

There is no reason to give it to you for $200. You are already buying 16gb for $200. Apple would loose.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This thread seems to be less about what people think and more about the OP convincing everyone that Apple needs to make their base model phones come with 32GB of storage. :D

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
OP doesn't get it. Sure they can do it, but why would they?

It's been made clear as day as fear as I can tell. But yes, I agree with you. This seems like a want vs need situation. I would love to see 32gb base. But 16gb has proven sufficient for most. I am sure apple has statistics on how much storage the average phone user actually uses.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
There is no reason to give it to you for $200. You are already buying 16gb for $200. Apple would loose.

The reason to give it to you for $200 is the fact it will be one category that is better than the s4 since every other category is behind the s4, camera, screen, processor. Apple can boast double the storage than our rival for the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.