Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Well, I got my new Retina in yesterday. Installed Webkit immediately. All of the same issues persist. Now I suppose I'm supposed to use a non-Apple browser, right? That's my fault for using a flawed browser, right?

Or, don't complain and return my $2799 laptop. Or jump off the ledge.

I know, I know. Let's do this thing. Let the beatings commence!

New to this thread, so bear with me (I don't know what's already been said). Have you tried 10.8.3 yet? It should help with facebook and zoomed in scrolling. Let me know how it works for you.

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
At OP, I am experiencing the exact same symptoms with my 2013 MBP classic 15 inch. I sent it back to Apple and I was planning to order the MBP retina. But now I don't know. :(

thirty7alpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Indiana
New to this thread, so bear with me (I don't know what's already been said) Have you tried 10.8.3 yet? It should help with facebook and zoomed in scrolling. Let me know how it works for you.

I'll give it a go. Thanks.

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
The new Safari included in 10.8.3 is much smoother on my rMBP 15", though still not as smooth as the webkit nightlies. I'd highly recommend checking them out.

thirty7alpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Indiana
At OP, I am experiencing the exact same symptoms with my 2013 MBP classic 15 inch. I sent it back to Apple and I was planning to order the MBP retina. But now I don't know. :(

I don't know what to tell you. The form factor/user experience of MacBooks is unmatched, and I've been an Apple apologist for a long while. However, this issue is really irritating. It's not a minor inconvenience as you well know.

----------

The new Safari included in 10.8.3 is much smoother on my rMBP 15", though still not as smooth as the webkit nightlies. I'd highly recommend checking them out.

I figured Webkit nightlies were my best bet.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I don't know what to tell you. The form factor/user experience of MacBooks is unmatched, and I've been an Apple apologist for a long while. However, this issue is really irritating. It's not a minor inconvenience as you well know.

----------

I figured Webkit nightlies were my best bet.

While Webkit nightlies provide better framrates than 10.8.3, it seems, the new Safari 6.0.3 is more stable. It says it improves performance on facebook and zoomed in scrolling on every website right in the update info. Hope it helps you, because Apple hardware is the best, but their software can be a bit behind.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Or, don't be an early adopter. Maybe you should have stuck with a non-retina MBP.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
:mad::mad: Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with these machines.......
Tell me I'm not alone. I'm one more replacement unit away from leaving the Apple family.

Wow..... just wow. I say move on now and save yourself future heartbreak.

And of course us from your over the top drama filled posts.

No issues with my 15" rMBP.... well I did have some of the same issues you are having but I'm not thick and simply use another browser.

Last edited:

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
I am kind of on the OP side of thinking here, $2799 for a computer and it doesn't work right ? and thats ok ? not to me. What on earth is Apple saying about this.
It looks like you are on your 3 or even 4th unit.:eek:

iancflam

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks OP for the post. I have been a PC user and ordered my first MacBook Pro 13 retina last week. I found the same issue earlier and thought there was a problem with software/ hardware. Honestly, I expected there should be no problem from a new Mac, especially we're talking about a basic and simple task like browsing sites such as NY Times.

After days I noticed the screen would freeze and a beach ball coming up and spinning, even when browsing without "tapping to zoom" while scrolling. Moreover, when I opened and viewed PDF files, the scrolling of screen was so LAGGY that I couldn't work at all. This is really frustrating and I doubted if my laptop was defective, and I ended up returning it.

Before return I read through lots of threads in this forum and also in various sites, in hope of finding similar problem and solution, I was deciding if I should buy 15" with GPU.... Now it seems to me that it's indeed NORMAL?? The problem running Safari is dealt with the solution installing WebKit. But what about PDF?? @OP do you have similar problems if you zoomed and scroll with a PDF File?

I was about to order a 15" rMBP and give it another try, until I read this thread today....... Can you or any other users elaborate their experiences on that? I mean besides Safari, any similar "zooming and viewing PDF document" scrolling problem like mine while viewing with a 15" rMBP?

Many thanks on that and I appreciate very much for other comments.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Thanks OP for the post. I have been a PC user and ordered my first MacBook Pro 13 retina last week. I found the same issue earlier and thought there was a problem with software/ hardware. Honestly, I expected there should be no problem from a new Mac, especially we're talking about a basic and simple task like browsing sites such as NY Times.

After days I noticed the screen would freeze and a beach ball coming up and spinning, even when browsing without "tapping to zoom" while scrolling. Moreover, when I opened and viewed PDF files, the scrolling of screen was so LAGGY that I couldn't work at all. This is really frustrating and I doubted if my laptop was defective, and I ended up returning it.

Before return I read through lots of threads in this forum and also in various sites, in hope of finding similar problem and solution, I was deciding if I should buy 15" with GPU.... Now it seems to me that it's indeed NORMAL?? The problem running Safari is dealt with the solution installing WebKit. But what about PDF?? @OP do you have similar problems if you zoomed and scroll with a PDF File?

I was about to order a 15" rMBP and give it another try, until I read this thread today....... Can you or any other users elaborate their experiences on that? I mean besides Safari, any similar "zooming and viewing PDF document" scrolling problem like mine while viewing with a 15" rMBP?

Many thanks on that and I appreciate very much for other comments.

It is sad to say it, but these machines are in BETA. Apple improves the situation update by update, but I just think the GPU and the software is not ready for 2880x1800p.

It's a computer from the future, so we are not ready for it.

If you can, try a common MBP with high resolution screen. OR wait until this summer to get the 3rd generation of Retina MBPs.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
No. Fix the issues with my $2799 laptop so that I can perform basic tasks (e.g. surf the web) without relying on a third-party's product.

Crying maybe...but this is not how it should be.

If you would have searched, or even LOOKED at this forum, you'd realize you are not the only person with these problems. Everyone has these problems. That means that it is a software issue with Safari. Download Webkit, profit. Scrolling is BUTTER in Webkit, although I do occasionally get graphics flickering after exiting a program which uses the discrete graphics. 10.8.3 fixed a few bugs and more will continue to get fixed. Nothing remains that irritates me too much, besides slow shutdown and Safari flickering. A pretty small price to pay for a gorgeous machine. Not that these problems are acceptable in my mind either, but you are not alone.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
It's not your computer. All the rMBPs do this. Just install the webkit nightly and you'll be much happier. It's written by Apple developers.

Safari hasn't been updated in months so the fixes have not been pushed through yet.

I don't get why so many people suggesst nightly builds. They are NOT meant to be used by normal people in a normal day use! They should only be used for testing (by developers), as they can contain serious flaws!

thirty7alpha

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Indiana
If you would have searched, or even LOOKED at this forum, you'd realize you are not the only person with these problems. Everyone has these problems. That means that it is a software issue with Safari. Download Webkit, profit. Scrolling is BUTTER in Webkit, although I do occasionally get graphics flickering after exiting a program which uses the discrete graphics. 10.8.3 fixed a few bugs and more will continue to get fixed. Nothing remains that irritates me too much, besides slow shutdown and Safari flickering. A pretty small price to pay for a gorgeous machine. Not that these problems are acceptable in my mind either, but you are not alone.

I downloaded both Webkit and 10.8.3, same song and dance, but less frequent occurrences.

It is a gorgeous machine; too bad it doesn't work like it should. I apologize for the redundant post, if that's what really irritates you.

I think you summed it up best: "Everyone has these problems."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.