Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
For those still with issues, check out posts #92 & #96. This has been fine for me for over a couple of months now.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I had the same problem on my MBA runing OS10.8 (and Lion)

I found this solution on another site

navigate to the Macintosh HD on your desk top open it go to libary and delete the Java folder then empty the trash can

You dont need the Java files and if you do visit a site requiring them you will be prompted to down load them and they will be the new ones.

Result - INSTANT SHUT DOWN!

Try it it works

regards

Nick

This help me down to 1 sec on my rMBP, further more since java is need for the people of Denmark (goverment gave a job to some people who were lazy and used java for our security protocol for connecting to banks, goverment and much more. talk about stupidity!) i changed the settings for how much space java could use on the disk.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Deleted the java file, and guess what...instant shut down. Great work! Was previously taking about 25-30 seconds to do so
Page 1 for the tip. .
Mac Mini late 2012, i7 2.6, 256GB SSD

Worked for me twice than back to the 20 second shut down, with a 3 second shut down from time to time. Not a good fix. Need Apple to address this at their end :(

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
I spent HOURS on this issue, unsintalling programs, dragging crap to my trash, etc, etc, etc... Then I uninstalled Google Chrome using app cleaner and my shutdown went from about 40 seconds to 1 second.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I spent HOURS on this issue, unsintalling programs, dragging crap to my trash, etc, etc, etc... Then I uninstalled Google Chrome using app cleaner and my shutdown went from about 40 seconds to 1 second.

Just curious, how do u explain the 30 second shutdowns with a "fresh Mountain Lion" install?

Google Chrome isn't part of ML?

Just trying to find the problem myself... :(

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Just tried shutting down, no visible improvement.

bugger.
I wrote another feedback thing to apple. So annoying they don't fix this. How hard can it be.
Windows 7 shuts down faster then OSX, thats not right!

just downloading 10.8.3 anyway

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Why obsess about shutdown time?

10.8.3 did not improve my shutdown time much but I do not give a damn. It's a non-issue to me. Also, I shut down infrequently.

10.8.3 installed and runs flawlessly (so far) and Safari runs faster.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Just updated and now my screen is flashing with second monitor connected. restarted, unplugged, nothing.

Any ideas?

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
10.8.3 did not improve my shutdown time much but I do not give a damn. It's a non-issue to me. Also, I shut down infrequently.

10.8.3 installed and runs flawlessly (so far) and Safari runs faster.

I've been running Webkit since I got my new Mac. It's been smoother than Safari for months now, and it seems to still be smoother even after today's update.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Looks like people have a lot of success with this code. What does it actually do to speed up shutdown?

These terminal commands should also fix the problem then and kill the services after 2 seconds:

Code:
sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents.plist

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents.plist

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Looks like people have a lot of success with this code. What does it actually do to speed up shutdown?

All it does is wait 2 seconds for that process to stop and it it hasn't it kills it. This process sometimes hangs on shutdown which delays a shutdown until it is killed by the system. This code just speeds up the killing of the process.

HarCees

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
When I restart or sleep the macbook, its instant. But when I shut down the computer it sometimes takes forever, or sometimes pretty fast. What is the computer doing while shutting down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.