Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
So sad. :( just saw the video on the new S4. It's BEAUTIFUL!!!

So thin. Screen from end to end like those infinity pools.

I hope Apple makes the iPhone 5 S amazing. Can't wait to upgrade if it is :( :( :(

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I just looked over at my iPhone 5 after reading this and thought, "No, I love my iPhone 5 because I prefer iOS and iPhone over android." so no, I don't feel it's outdated.

To be honest, nothing about the Galaxy S4 "wowed" me at all. I've never once complained about those features not being on my iPhone.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
LOL. Android and especially those features are WACK!!!

I can see myself while I take a picture of someone else? WTF???? Hahaha!

But the phone looks SO clean. Love the white.

Infinity screen. (Edge to edge). SUPER thin. LOVE it.

Makes iPhone 5 look old IMO.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
Nope. Looks like a Galaxy SIIIs to me. A spec bump and a few new software options. Funny how Samsung is following Apples lead here. I honestly don't know what else could be revolutionary on a smartphone whether it is iPhone or Samsung etc. They have all pretty much caught up to each other and I really don't expect much anymore except spec bumps.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Nope. Looks like a Galaxy SIIIs to me. A spec bump and a few new software options. Funny how Samsung is following Apples lead here. I honestly don't know what else could be revolutionary on a smartphone whether it is iPhone or Samsung etc. They have all pretty much caught up to each other and I really don't expect much anymore except spec bumps.

I have faith Apple will still do something mind blowing then everyone will catch up.

Like I said the infinity screen just blows me away though and the thinness.

I would love to see the iPhone 5 S or 6 be ultra thin with a screen edge to edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Except the galaxy is made out of plastic and my phone is glass and metal.

Oh I don't know does galaxy run iCloud yet?

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
Most of those new features will not be even used and will probably take a big hit on battery life. Samsung build quality is terrible. They also still stuck with a super amoled screen and the horrible camera lens, just more pixels. That phone is over hyped just like the rest. You can also guarantee the states will not get the exynos processor.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I don't really know how to respond to such threads--are you grown up person ? S4 is beautiful ? With that plastic construction and a hybrid of a design between S3 and Note 2 ? If yes, well don't know what to say.
The one thing I can say about iPhones is that they look really classy and feel classy too.

K701

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Samsung have always lacked the design qualities that Apple has. The S4 looks good from face on, though I've never liked the corners. The back though, looks as ugly as their other designs. It doesn't say 'premium phone', which you will have to pay.

I have 2 phones, work and personal. Not wanting to have 2 of the same, I went with a Sony Xperia Z and after a week, I'm blown away and really liking Android and the bigger screen. It has struck me on many occasions now, when picking up the iPhone 5 that it looks really dated. When I use it, it seems old fashioned- the shape of the phone and OS.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products and have had iPhones for 5 years and praised them highly- I even turned my nose up at those that used other phones; snooty some may say. But, I do feel Apple is struggling to keep up with the competition and I yearn for them to pull something out the bag. There's some serious lag going on. They will bring out a larger screen at some point and should have done so with the 5. I just hope the 6 doesn't bring out the same tech other companies were producing a year beforehand.

I'll probably feel a little embarrassed when the 5S comes out this summer when it is faced with such strong competition.

So I guess I'm another mover to Android. I would have been much happier spending my money with Apple for similar spec tech. I never thought I'd prefer another phone to whatever is the latest iPhone. Oh, how times change.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Joke topic?

The S4 is that "minor spec bump" upgrade that iPhone critics claim Apple does. Samsung really does want to be Apple it seems.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I just looked over at my iPhone 5 after reading this and thought, "No, I love my iPhone 5 because I prefer iOS and iPhone over android." so no, I don't feel it's outdated.

Agreed, I prefer iOS over Android as well.

No because I'm not a 12 year old. I buy a device that I like to use and that works for me, I don't buy the "newest" kid on the block.

Agreed. I buy what works for me, and let others do the same.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
The distance from the edge of the screen to the edge of the phone on the S4 is the same as the iPhone 5.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The Samsung S4 doesn't make me feel my iPhone 5 is outdated--but the HTC one does. The S4 is full of cheap gimmicky featues most people won't use all wrapped in a chintzy plastic body. If youve got no taste this is the phone for you. The One is stunningly beautiful with *mostly* well thought out practical and elegant features.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
The killer 5'' 1080p HD display and LTE that makes it a world phone does.

Other software/gimmicks...kinda. They look cool but its basically like Siri, FaceTime, etc. you wont be using them after a week.

Build quality...eh HTC One is better.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
No. They are just phones. Your quality of life will not improve just because you have the latest phone. It will not cure cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Joke topic?

The S4 is that "minor spec bump" upgrade that iPhone critics claim Apple does. Samsung really does want to be Apple it seems.

Samsung ran out of patents it could steal. Now we see that it can't come up with anything new on it's own.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The AMOLED screen is one major reason I can't use it. For all the complaints and endless threads everyone havew about "OMG my iPhone X screen is too warm/cold/green/orange/purple! I CAN'T STAND TO LOOK AT IT!" and yet every fandroid seems to think that off-color, green-cast OLED screen is the best thing ever. The color is so off it actually makes me feel slightly ill if I look at a screen with a lot of "white" on it for too long.

Other than that, 5" is just way too big.

i can't help but laugh at the "Saumsung didn't innovate/there's no wow" type commentary though. So Samsung is now getting hit by the same fanboy-fatigue that Apple is, where they psych themselves up with unfounded rumors and get disappointed when Samsung doesn't "bring it" (whatever that means).

There was even some fool who was bellyaching that the US version of the GS4 "only" gets a quad-core processor, while the international version gets an 8-core. Really?? 8 cores on a smartphone?! I still have yet to max out the 8 cores on my old Mac pros! Exactly what are we expecting to do on a battery-powered device, which will be on a capped cellular data network most of the time, that can be done so much better on 8 cores that just can't be done on 4, or 2?

This isn't Prozac or some mood-altering drug, people. It's just a hunk of metal and glass (or plastic and glass) that sits in your hand and does computerish-things. There are realistic limits to the "magic" and it's time to acknolwedge that.

From here on out, it's evolution, not revolution.

And if you are truly counting on consumer electronics vendors to give you your endorphin rush, from here on out, you WILL be disappointed. I would strongly suggest you make an appointment with your local psychiatrist, who can replace your dependency on product unveilings with a dependency on mood-altering prescription drugs. The effects should be more consistent.

The rest of us in realityland will continue to evaluate our smartphones and tablets based on practical workflows, and what works for us, consistently.

(tl;dr: The Galaxy S4 is a fine phone, but nothing so groundbreaking that it would overcome the things I don't like about Samsung smartphones, and definitely not enough to make me disrupt my life and switch ecosystems.)

jumpmandds

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Ohio
Yeah I guess the only innovation anymore happens by our imitators...

I'm not a fan of android at all tried it its not for me been using every iPhone since the beginning but I have to admit since Steve Jobs passed away its just not the same especially with the phones and the direction apples going I say do away with the whole S releases and just give us a brand new phone every year

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
It amazes me the lemmings here who think that Apple is right all the time. And, just because someone doesn't bow down to the Apple logo they are called a 'troll'. What happen to these forums?

I have tons of Apple products, but I'm not ignorant enough to think other companies can't make better products. Sorry, but if you think the Galaxy S4 isn't a better overall smartphone than the iPhone 5 then you're walking with blinders on.

And, I own the following Apple products:

2 iMacs
2 iPads
2 iPhones (also two 3, 3S, 4, and 4S)
5 MacBooks/MacBook Airs
4 iPods

Competition is good and Apple is falling behind. I see more and more Galaxy products each day. Just because a company is great does not mean it's right all the time. Apple has launched products that bombed. Remember Palm and how they refused to change. Remember RIM and how they refused to change. Apple needs to step up. Some of the posts here resemble posts on CrackBerry.com...

I'll be sticking with Apple until the next iPhone, but I'm smart enough to give a thumbs up to Samsung for creating a great looking and operating smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.