Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple announce anything to counter Galaxy S4 event?

• Nothing

Votes: 126 81.3%
  • iOS 7 preview

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • OS X 10.9 preview

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • iPad 5 or iPad Mini 2 event

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • iPhone 5S event

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • OS X 10.8.3 release

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • WWDC 2013 dates/tickets

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
GS4 got released.

Seen mixed reactions so far.

Some clearly are bored as hell with their iPhone and are going to switch asap, other GS3 owners are holding out for the Note 3.

Would be interesting if Apple announced an event say a couple days after the hype dies down.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
GS4 got released.

Seen mixed reactions so far.

Some clearly are bored as hell with their iPhone and are going to switch asap, other GS3 owners are holding out for the Note 3.

Would be interesting if Apple announced an event say a couple days after the hype dies down.

I don't think many S3 owners are holding out for Note 3. If the Note 3 is the same size as Note 2 with spec bump (like S3->S4), still it is too big for many. Anyway we can expect the Note 3 to have similar spec to S4 anyway (like Note 2 to S3).

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
This is my experience with Samsung products. A few years ago I was a fan but then I got screwed on updates, specifically to my Samsung Blu ray player where Samsung put out an update that knocked the audio out of sync and then did nothing to fix it for months despite complaints. I took the player back, it was replaced with one with an older firmware, I tried to play a disc, it insisted on updating and pulled in the same faulty update and knocked the sound out of sync. I gave them 6 months to fix it and it never worked right and they had already released a new model so they simply didn't care about my older machine. When you buy a box and it works from day one and does what you need, that is fine, but when the box has to be updated just to perform its intended function because, well, blu ray needs updates to play newer discs, and you don't support it well you're off my preferred manufacturer list. To Samsung, updating means you buy a new device and throw the old one away. When the S4 is out, the S3 will be on the **** list and won't get anything more shortly afterwards.

Wait what? You bought a blu-ray player with a bad firmware update and returned it for a new one, that you promptly updated to a known bad firmware and then kept it....for reasons unknown for 6 months to see if Samsung would magically fix it....and this has WHAT to do with the S4?

The S3 is fine, perfect actually, it doesn't need any updates or critical fixes, so yeah, attention goes to the newest device....and BTW Samsung did commit to bringing the latest JB to the S3.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Wait what? You bought a blu-ray player with a bad firmware update and returned it for a new one, that you promptly updated to a known bad firmware and then kept it....for reasons unknown for 6 months to see if Samsung would magically fix it....and this has WHAT to do with the S4?

The S3 is fine, perfect actually, it doesn't need any updates or critical fixes, so yeah, attention goes to the newest device....and BTW Samsung did commit to bringing the latest JB to the S3.

No, what I did was put up with audio being out of sync for months waiting for an update to be pushed out which never came. I eventually got sufficiently pissed off that I returned the player to the store who sent it to Samsung for repair. It came back 'repaired' by having another machine given to me which didn't have the latest firmware. As soon as I tried to play a recent disc, the disc refused to play because I needed a firmware update, the player downloaded the firmware and the sound went out of sync. So, the issue wasn't the hardware, it was the firmware and Samsung didn't see fit to fix it over a period of 6 months from when it was issued to the point at which I gave up and simply returned the player to the store with a letter saying I was rejecting it having given Samsung the chance to repair it and they failed. I don't know if any update ever came out that fixed it, and I don't care since I won't give Samsung any more money. I switched to a Panasonic player which has been flawless and is frankly much better built.

What does this have to do with the S3? Well, a company that drops support for software on an older model will do the same with other products in their range. I'm simply not going to give them the chance, and this isn't an isolated incidence. A colleague in my office has a Samsung TV which has a faulty PSU and because it is outside of their warranty, they don't want to know. It is a design issue and the TV won't turn on reliably as a result. I've told him to reject it (NZ law allows you to do so regardless of manufacturer guarantee if the product has a manufacturing fault and is still within a reasonable use window so a TV failing within three years of purchase fits that perfectly)

People are perfectly at liberty to continue to give Samsung their money and ignore those of us who have had bad experience with them. However, contrast my experience with Samsung versus my experience with Apple when I had a battery failure on my MacBook Pro after only 180 cycles. Apple happily replaced it even though the machine was over two years old, no questions. In addition, I continue to get updates to my iPhone 4 and another person in the office is running a 3GS which is working happily with iOS 6 too. I know that iOS 7 will likely run on my iPhone 4 and not on the 3GS but that is a pretty long support window for a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.