Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattxi

macrumors member
Original poster
I have and love my rMBP, fully spec'd 15in blah blah blah max stats.

Before I bought it I was seriously considering getting the 27" iMac...and now I'm reconsidering it.

I would get the fully spec'd 27", 32gb, the 768gb ssd, 2gb VRAM, all that to bring it up to a good 4k.

And I want to be able to move it in a pelican case, which sounds perfect.

But I've been told this is stupid.

I love the new iMac, I love the screen, I love the specs I get for nearly the same price I paid for my laptop...but I'll be moving it plenty. Pelican case yes, but it'll be moved.

I plan on selling my rMBP and purchasing this iMac as well as the cheapest MacBook Air.

So is this feasible or am I stupid?

*side note, all work done on these machines are 4k video, photo, and intense gaming.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States

Before I bought it I was seriously considering getting the 27" iMac...and now I'm reconsidering it.

I would get the fully spec'd 27", 32gb, the 768gb ssd, 2gb VRAM, all that to bring it up to a good 4k.

I love the new iMac, I love the screen, I love the specs I get for nearly the same price I paid for my laptop...but I'll be moving it plenty. Pelican case yes, but it'll be moved.

I plan on selling my rMBP and purchasing this iMac as well as the cheapest MacBook Air.

*side note, all work done on these machines are 4k video, photo, and intense gaming.

Depends. Is performance OR portability more of a concern to you?

The iMac is clearly a better machine, but the rMBP is (obviously) portable.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
It's silly in terms of lugging such a large device around. You also need to find a power point to be able to use the iMac. There's also a good chance that the iMac will get damaged while travelling.

Don't be THAT guy!

Why not just earn the extra money, keep the rMBP and purchase an iMac?

That way you've got the best of both worlds.

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets

wait for TB display and use that with your rMBP.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If you buy 32GB of RAM for $600 from Apple on a user-upgradeable machine, then the answer is yes, you are considerably crazier than most people.

If you replace the 768GB SSD with a 3TB Fusion Drive and order the least amount of RAM possible, you're at $2,749, plus $250 for 32GB of RAM = $3,000.

Last edited:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I'd prefer a hard case but it all depends on how much it's moved.

Remember this is not a laptop and even with SSD there is a chance that a wrong bump can damage something.

You could be better with the MBP and a decent LED or 2 for more screen space.

IDK, I think with the right Pelican case and custom foam the iMac will be well protected and at 15 or so pounds, it is a heck of a lot easier to move around than a MBP plus LED montior, cables, etc.

I wouldn't do it personally, but if I HAD to do it, I think an iMac in the right case with wheels and protection would be the easiest way.

Last edited:

corpfan1

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
This.

If you buy 32GB of RAM for $600 from Apple on a user-upgradeable machine, then the answer is yes, you are considerably crazier than most people.

If you replace the 768GB SSD with a 3TB Fusion Drive and order the least amount of RAM possible, you're at $2,749, plus $250 for 32GB of RAM = $3,000.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Yeah with the 27" NEVER buy the Apple RAM. I got after-market, installed in minutes and now for less than $200 I have 32Gb of RAM and will sell the Apple RAM shortly.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
or you can do exactly like i did, i had both also, the maxed out retina and maxed out iMac, after some heating issues etc with the retina i brought it back traded it in for the 15 in macbook pro, opened it up, put in a samsung 840 pro ssd and put the stock hd in the cd drive slot, and 16 gb ram ....now i have even faster read and writes than i did with the retinas stock ssd, and a back up 500gb hd and i put a couple thousand bucks back in my pocket..win win

----------

or you could trade it in for the macbook pro like i said and upgrade it yourself like i did and just buy a tb display with the money you saved and now you basically have an imac and a laptop wheneva you need and even more money in your pocket

robbiemc

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Sounds a bit..unusual, but I suppose it depends how long you're staying at your destinations?
If you've got a 'home' base that you spend the majority of your time, then just put an iMac there and take a smaller device on the road with you. That's what I do.

If you genuinely split your time between multiple locations then it might work, but don't be surprised if something fails through handling (and don't rely on Applecare to support you in this situation). Pelican cases are all very well and good, but the device itself still needs to have been designed to be movable. Pelican cases are often used for expensive camera gear, but of course those devices are designed to be moved.

corpfan1

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Out of curiousity...what is the best option for selling the 8GB or RAM? What is it going for and where is the best place to sell it (ebay or other)?

Just trying to decide whether it is worth holding onto in case I have to send my MAC in for service or something goes wrong with the 32GB of Kingston HyperX I am installing.

Yeah with the 27" NEVER buy the Apple RAM. I got after-market, installed in minutes and now for less than $200 I have 32Gb of RAM and will sell the Apple RAM shortly.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'll probably sell mine on eBay at what every price they are going for.

Because of a mix up my 27" came with 16Gb (2x8Gb) and I only paid for 8Gb, thanks Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.