Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
So if the ipad 5 shrinks in seize and gets a small bezel and is less weight will you still prefer the mini?

And would that change with a retina mini?
I would really be in doubt. I love the mini size but I also like magazines and comics on the bigger ipad.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
So if the ipad 5 shrinks in seize and gets a small bezel and is less weight will you still prefer the mini?

And would that change with a retina mini?
I would really be in doubt. I love the mini size but I also like magazines and comics on the bigger ipad.

I think if it was half the weight it is now, with almost no bezel, it would be very tempting. But I don't think that's going to happen.

And once the mini retina comes out, that would trump any full sized ipad. In my opinion.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
The mini is my idea of the right size tablet for me, so I'd probably not get the regular. It's almost the size of my air.

I love my mini, and will give it to my secretary when I buy the next mini.

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
I love the idea of a little smaller regular sized iPad. It will need to be lighter though. I have wanted to pick up the mini, but have held off as the screen isn't big enough for what I do.

So I really am looking forward to the iPad 5.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
I think a redesigned iPad 5 would be perfect. I really want the screen on my iPad 3 but it is very heavy and a little big compared to my wife's mini. Still I prefer it due to both the size and quality of the screen.

Shrink the bezel down and make it 33% lighter and I am all in.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Absolutely, I will definitely be purchasing it. That's my choice a thinner bezel on an iPad 5 or an iPad Mini Retina - both of which don't exist 'yet',

kzhlin

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
If the iPad 5 shrinks in size and weight, wouldn't it essentially become the "iPad mini with retina" that we've all been dreaming about? :p

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The reason people like the mini over the iPad is because its easier to hold because its lighter.

Not because you can hold it in one hand, but because it does not strain your hand to hold it You can still use two hands, see what I mean.

If the new iPad is very light because of the new screen it will be very easy to hold. and it will be a bit smaller around the bezel, but that dont matter.

The ease of holding it depends on how heavy it is because after awhile you get fatigue.

But if its light enough, that wont be an issue, and you will want the bigger screen.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
The reason people like the mini over the iPad is because its easier to hold because its lighter.

Not because you can hold it in one hand, but because it does not strain your hand to hold it You can still use two hands, see what I mean.

If the new iPad is very light because of the new screen it will be very easy to hold. and it will be a bit smaller around the bezel, but that dont matter.

The ease of holding it depends on how heavy it is because after awhile you get fatigue.

But if its light enough, that wont be an issue, and you will want the bigger screen.

YES.
IMO- They get it lighter and thinner and the normal size ipad will regain the lead. I see very very few business guys here in the city with a dainty ipad mini. They all have the full size.
In this case- Size does matter.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I'm an ex-full sized iPad owner (which I loved) and currently a mini iPad owner (which I adore). I'm not a "mini vs. full sized," "one is better than the other," "only idiots choose the one I didn't" kind of guy, that's simply silly. I love my mini, I will keep it until retina comes (at which point I'll upgrade it), the size is absolutely perfect for me and my needs. That said, I think the current iPad is gorgeous, it's a wonderful device and if it gets the mini treatment, it'll be even more beautiful a device than it is now. Will it replace my mini? No, not even with the mini treatment, but at some point in the future I'd sure like to be able to own a full sized iPad as well as my mini.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Slim the bezels dramatically, get it down to 0.75lb and I might consider it. The current one is just too damn heavy to use for long periods of time.

On the go, I still like the mini better. Smaller footprint is very convenient.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Yes I will. I use to own an ipad 2. Now I got a mini. And now whene I use my mom's ipad 3 it looks humongous to me. Way to big.

I think the mini is the perfect size. And it is much better for gaming.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Man I actually want a BIGGER iPad! More screen, less bezel and weight though.

I like reading comics and magazines on the iPad and more screen real estate would be awesome.

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
So if the ipad 5 shrinks in seize and gets a small bezel and is less weight will you still prefer the mini? And would that change with a retina mini? I would really be in doubt. I love the mini size but I also like magazines and comics on the bigger ipad.

I agree. If the ipad 5 is sufficiently smaller and lighter, I'll buy one and keep my 1st gen mini to carry around.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I tried the mini for a week and couldn't get used to the non-retina display. Now I've got a 4 and couldn't be happier. Extremely smooth, snappy, and great retina screen.

If the 5 has an even better screen, I might switch, but I doubt it. Even if it was a big bump in processor speed, I don't know if I will switch. Most of the apps available right now were made with the 3 in mind and don't take full advantage of even the 4's capabilities. I can't imagine there would be many apps that would push the 5 to the limit.

I might just wait til the 6 at this point.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Something tells me Apple will make it tougher this go round with what folks will choose to buy between the mini2 and 5th gen. So much so as to get a closer balance between the two for sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.