Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Umm.. Today i received a MacBook Air from a customer, he said the MBA can't power on and wanted to sell it as parts. So i bought the laptop from him. I tried to plug the MagSafe in and attempted to boot it, it shows no sign of life. MagSafe shows orange. Upon inspection, i see nothing odd about this MacBook, thinking that its a 2010 model since it doesn't have the backlit button. But then once i opened up the bottom case, i was shocked to find the board wasn't a C2D board, it has a thunderbolt controller on it and the SSD is 256GB, the battery is damaged/bloated. When i dig deeper, i found that the back panel has no serial number, and EMC number is left blank. Im in the process of replacing the battery. Ill update with pictures later. The logic board is black in color.

UPDATE!!!!!

I MANAGE TO START THE MACBOOK AIR WITH A REPLACEMENT BATTERY AND AFTER A SMC UPDATE & SMC RESET!
However, the original SSD seems to be dead. EFI showing can't find boot drive, and i can't boot ML installer, don't know why. It just showed a prohibited sign, and so i replaced it with another SSD(that has ML already on it) I WAS NOT ABLE TO BOOT IT DIRECTLY, it shows a prohibited sign, so i had to remove PlatformSupport.plist (like my hack guide) to get it to boot. Apparently, the board ID wasn't on the platformsupport.plist.

Booted it up. and wtf?! It has a i3 1.5GHz, never seen it on a Air before, and has NO SERIAL NUMBER. See pictures.

The Backlit keyboard looks crappy comparing to a standard 2011 MacBook Air. Again, see the pictures.

About This Mac.
IMG_1549.JPG

Screenshot
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-03-13%2520at%25201.40.44%2520PM.png

Backlit keyboard compared to standard 2011 MacBook Air.
Standard one on the left, unknown one on the right.
IMG_1542.JPG

Different angle showing the backlit keyboard. I have NO way of adjusting the backlit, it doesn't have the backlit keys. I turned off the lights to take this picture.

Close up on the keyboard, looks similar to the one on the 2010 MacBook Air, except this has backlit.
IMG_1546.JPG

Apparently it shows its a Core i3 1.5GHz. I don't think that processor was ever used on a standard 13" MacBook Air. Only i5 or i7.

UPDATE! March 14 2013.

I took the board out for inspection, at first glance it look similar to a 2011 i5 MacBook Air, but then at close examinations, some of the connectors are not exactly the same. Keyboard flex connector is larger then a normal i5 one.

No serial number on the inside too.
IMG_1550.JPG

Motherboard pictures. (I haven't put back all the screws yet)
IMG_1551.JPG

Last edited:

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Given your location, I'd say its more likely to be a Chinese knockoff than a prototype. The quality issues you see do not "ring true" for a genuine Apple product ... especially one as critical to Apple's laptop line than the 2010-generation MBA.

mike5411

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
When you had the machine open, what color was the logic board? Was it green or red?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
To pour some water on it - it's identifying itself as a 4,2 which is a mid 2011 MacBook Air. By that time, the keyboard would have had brightness controls.

Also, it has a 1.5GHz i3 with Intel HD 3000 graphics, this can be one of two chips:

- i3-2375M (launched Q1 '13)
- i3-2377M (launched Q2 '12)

Which would make it impossible/impractical to be a prototype. If you have a closeup photo of the MLB we can check it.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
Was the i3 available as an "upgrade" when they had the dual core?

I don't know enough to say they weren't but it might have been an upgrade at the time.

But it is odd that yours doesn't show a serial number is very suspicious.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Has the Serial Number been blanked out from the screenshots, or does it actually not have a serial number? If it does have one, I may be able to check whether it validates as a recognised serial and if it has any listed specs or details at the time of manufacture. (I'm an Apple Repairer by trade, but not working for Apple.)

EDIT: Oh, right. No serial number. I'm taking a quick glance at this over lunch so I missed that part.

If you managed to install Mac OS X with no other modification than to remove or tweak PlatformSupport.plist, I'd be inclined to think it's a genuine Apple board at this stage.

A photo of the board may also be useful in identification. A screenshot of the "Memory" section of System Profiler may also be useful in checking whether the on-board RAM identifies as Apple supplied memory.

If I can be of assistance just let me know.

Heres the memory section of System Profiler
Screen%2520Shot%25202013-03-13%2520at%252011.03.32%2520PM.png

----------

It's from Malaysia, enough said.... (Fake)

Title changed. Im in the process of contacting the previous owner asking him where this this thing come from.

----------

When you had the machine open, what color was the logic board? Was it green or red?

Board is black. Ill take some pics now

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

If the board is black (or very dark grey/green) - then it isn't a prototype. Apple's prototype boards are red.

Also, that RAM is identified as being made by Samsung. I believe (may be wrong since I'm going by experience here), I've never seen Apple use any soldered-on ram that wasn't Hynix.

mike5411

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Heres the memory section of System Profiler

----------

Title changed. Im in the process of contacting the previous owner asking him where this this thing come from.

----------

Very interesting that the board is black (or maybe a very dark green?). Typically prototypes have red logic boards from Apple. However, maybe this is a very very late prototype that Apple actually cut at the last minute?

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Very interesting that the board is black (or maybe a very dark green?). Typically prototypes have red logic boards from Apple. However, maybe this is a very very late prototype that Apple actually cut at the last minute?

See pictures. I posted the board pics

----------

If the board is black (or very dark grey/green) - then it isn't a prototype. Apple's prototype boards are red.

Also, that RAM is identified as being made by Samsung. I believe (may be wrong since I'm going by experience here), I've never seen Apple use any soldered-on ram that wasn't Hynix.

See board pic

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Does it have USB 2.0 or 3.0?

Forgot to mention it has USB 3 but its MagSafe 1

----------

To pour some water on it - it's identifying itself as a 4,2 which is a mid 2011 MacBook Air. By that time, the keyboard would have had brightness controls.

Also, it has a 1.5GHz i3 with Intel HD 3000 graphics, this can be one of two chips:

- i3-2375M (launched Q1 '13)
- i3-2377M (launched Q2 '12)

Which would make it impossible/impractical to be a prototype. If you have a closeup photo of the MLB we can check it.

It has USB 3.0. 2011 MBA doesn't have that

mike5411

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Forgot to mention it has USB 3 but its MagSafe 1

----------

It has USB 3.0. 2011 MBA doesn't have that

I had a feeling it was going to be USB 3.0. Although the logic board isn't red, I am still thinking this is a prototype in a 2010 shell. Very interesting. Have you heard anything back from the seller regarding where they acquired this machine?

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I had a feeling it was going to be USB 3.0. Although the logic board isn't red, I am still thinking this is a prototype in a 2010 shell. Very interesting. Have you heard anything back from the seller regarding where they acquired this machine?

At first when i tried to contact him, I asked him where did he get this unit, was it a fake or what. he picked up and said he don't know much history about this unit, he got it from a friend for cheap, then he said he got another Air so wasn't interested in fixing this unit. Now when i tried to contact him, he's unreachable. Quite suspicious.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Wouldn't it be a tremendous amount of effort and talent to make a 'fake MBA'?

'fake iPhones' are very easily distinguishable from the real deal.

Still, maybe just maybe he stopped replying because aren't there legal implications involved with selling a prototype?

Like I dunno, the whole iPhone 4 at the bar sold to a jouranlist-type fiasco?

Even though this is well beyond the announcement of the 2010 MBA re-design and didn't become the end all leak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.