Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I think the trend is less updates now, which in theory would mean the product is more mature and requires fewer and less frequent updates.

For the end user this should be a positive.

it did mature for the best... SL pretty much resolve most, if not all, problems.

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
DUDE!!! This has made my day! The Cut and Paste option alone is simply awesome! This was something I was very used to do in Windows a few years ago and I always thought it was stupid that I couldn't do it in OSX...well technically, I still can't, at least out of the box, but with this app now I can! And the tabs are awesome!

THANK YOU for posting this!

Oh holy ScheiBe - what a cool app ! Just what I was looking for. Finder is a turd as it is, but this is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

----------

Same, I had the same experience and I use XtraFinder too.

I was super disappointed to find that, after 25 years of using windows, OSX out of the box actually lacks way more functionality than windows does, in all areas! It's silly... I know there is a mill apps to fix all sort of things.. but seriously? sometimes (really often) its not THAT bad an idea to borrow and do what the competitors do.... there is usually a reason why they do it. Apple's philosophy seems more about what they dont want to do.

Another simple thing I had to fix with an app, maximize window..... just saying :p

Anyway... Xtrafinder is a must have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3nt
just use XtraFinder.
Tabs, auto-adjust columns after name length & best of all: cut & paste

couldn't believe that cmd+x didn't work when I switched from PC/windows about 8 months ago to mac hehe

- http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/

sorry for OT

Great App, guys! Thanks so much, this is just what Finder needed.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
As others have mentioned, Apple has not fixed shutdown delays with 10.8.3. Argh! Does anyone happen to know the real cause(s) of this issue?

When I went to SSD on Lion, reboot times were very impressive; however, now I'm getting HDD-like reboot times with a new SSD / rMBP :confused:

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
As others have mentioned, Apple has not fixed shutdown delays with 10.8.3. Argh!
Why are you shutting down your Mac so often anyway? Unless I'm going away for a few days, my MBP and iMac are never shutdown. Just close the lid on your rMBP!

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Why are you shutting down your Mac so often anyway? Unless I'm going away for a few days, my MBP and iMac are never shutdown. Just close the lid on your rMBP!

Yeah I never really got why people do that. I never shut down any of my computers unnecessary wear and tear on the circuitry, and inconveniences me every shut down and boot up. They're designed to be put to sleep when not in use. There are no pros to shutting down your computer when not in use, only cons.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah I never really got why people do that. I never shut down any of my computers unnecessary wear and tear on the circuitry, and inconveniences me every shut down and boot up. They're designed to be put to sleep when not in use. There are no pros to shutting down your computer when not in use, only cons.

ok i think we've had enough with this topic. people can choose to do what ever they want. YOU choose to put it to sleep. OTHERS choose to shut it down.

and how do you know they were "designed to be put to sleep when not in use?" did you talk to the engineers yourself? then why is there a shutdown option. cmon man don't blindly make assumptions like that.

for all its worth. every feature should perfectly everytime. why does shutdown time is so fast in lion, and not in M.lion? even if you don't shut down your computer....those few times that you do, don't you want it to work properly?

if you think putting it to sleep then i'm cool with that. just let people do what they desire, and stop with the comments about "i dont get people...."

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
ok i think we've had enough with this topic. people can choose to do what ever they want. YOU choose to put it to sleep. OTHERS choose to shut it down.

and how do you know they were "designed to be put to sleep when not in use?" did you talk to the engineers yourself? then why is there a shutdown option. cmon man don't blindly make assumptions like that.

for all its worth. every feature should perfectly everytime. why does shutdown time is so fast in lion, and not in M.lion? even if you don't shut down your computer....those few times that you do, don't you want it to work properly?

if you think putting it to sleep then i'm cool with that. just let people do what they desire, and stop with the comments about "i dont get people...."

Nothing wrong with educating people.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
As others have mentioned, Apple has not fixed shutdown delays with 10.8.3. Argh! Does anyone happen to know the real cause(s) of this issue?

When I went to SSD on Lion, reboot times were very impressive; however, now I'm getting HDD-like reboot times with a new SSD / rMBP :confused:

Nobody knows the cause of your slow shutdown. Shutdown times depend on numerous factors, and not just the OS. The worst thing that could happen is if OS X just powered off without cleaning things up like open files, devices, network connections, etc.

Do a restart.
Open the console application: Spotlight search 'console'.
Click All Messages.
Enter 'shutdown_time' in the console search.
Click on the last entry. Clear the search filter. You will see a lot of shutdown events going on.
If you see any lengthy gap between events, that might provide a clue as to the part of the shutdown process that is taking most time.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
Nothing wrong with educating people.

it's not education when you don't know the facts. other then that it's an opinion.

if someone thinks 1+1=3, and you say "no, it is 2" then that's education.

in this case you like to sleep your computer, while others like to shut down their computers. there's no education in that. it's a preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.