Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Just upgraded my 2011 MBP to 10.8.3 (combo updater), and having a weird problem: whenever the system switches from integrated to dedicated GPU, the color shifts significantly (I'm using a hardware-calibrated profile, and the color goes extremely cool).

It's not that it's switching profiles on me; the pref pane and ColorSync Utility both show the correct profile selected, and if (while on the dedicated GPU) I switch profiles, they all look funky--very, very cool. It does appear to be responding slightly to different profiles, so it's not just stuck on the wrong profile, either.

Trying a quick manual calibration with the GPU running produced a semi-workable profile, but as soon as it switches back to integrated graphics that profile is so far out of whack the screen is almost unviewable.

Did a "verify profile" with ColorSync Utility, which did show a bunch of minor errors (none of which had been a problem under 10.8.2 or any previous OS), but doing a Repair fixed all of them, and didn't help.

I'm assuming nobody else is seeing this, or there would be a bunch of complaints--but it has to be a software issue, since everything was fine an hour ago. Any suggestions about what I should mess with?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
ColorSync is broken in 10.8.

At this point, the only thing I can say is "deal with it". I've filed many, many bug reports on every single 10.8.3 beta. Not a single one was acknowledged by Apple.

They simply don't care. It sucks, but that's the truth. Maybe they'll fix it in 10.9.

-SC

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Well, there may or may not be problems with ColorSync in 10.8, but after deleting the ColorSync cache and user prefs, then rebooting, my issue was fixed. (The reboot was necessary--deleting the files alone didn't fix it.)

And honestly, that's the only ColorSync issue I've had so far with 10.8.

sfxguy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Los Angeles
Well, there may or may not be problems with ColorSync in 10.8, but after deleting the ColorSync cache and user prefs, then rebooting, my issue was fixed. (The reboot was necessary--deleting the files alone didn't fix it.)

And honestly, that's the only ColorSync issue I've had so far with 10.8.

Mine just started doing the same thing after updating to the latest version of the spyder elite software. (Although I never could get the correction to stick when only running on the rMBP screen and not connected to the Thunderbolt Display.)

Where did you find the cache to delete?
Thanks

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The cache isn't easy to get to manually; the easiest way to delete it is to download Onyx and check the box for ColorSync cache.

This Cnet article is for a different problem, but it describes the necessary terminal commands, if you want to do it manually. Short form, this terminal command should do it:

Code:
sudo rm $(getconf DARWIN_USER_CACHE_DIR)com.apple.colorsync.profiles.`id -u`

...but I'd probably still use Onyx to be safe.

Note that I didn't do a reboot between deleting the cache and deleting the user prefs, so it's possible that it was actually the prefs that did it; if you delete your cache and reboot, and it's still not fixed, go into your user ~/Library folder and find the two or three prefs with ColorSync in the name and delete those as well, then reboot again. The only thing it might screw up is you'd need to re-select your profile in the prefs pane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.