Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Law360 reports (via 9to5Mac) that a Retina MacBook Pro owner has launched a would-be class action lawsuit against Apple, alleging that the widely reported ghosting issues are the result of defective LG screens and that Apple has been "tricking" customers into buying these by not distinguishing them from models sold with Samsung screens.

Ghost images of previous content have been widely demonstrated on some Retina MacBook Pros, as in the above video. A support thread on apple.com on the issue currently runs to over 7000 posts across almost 500 pages. Apple uses displays manufactured by both Samsung and LG in its Retina laptops, and it has been strongly indicated that the issue affects mostly machines with LG screens. Apple has so far made no statement on the issue beyond a support document in which it describes "image persistence" as a characteristic of IPS displays and gives some advice on minimizing the effects.

retina_macbook_pro_display_ghosting-500x288.jpg

The lawsuit has been filed in a Federal court in California by Retina MacBook Pro owner Beau Hodges, who says that Apple should have disclosed the issue and allowed customers to choose between machines with LG and Samsung screens.
The electronics giant must know about the differences between the two versions because it spent a considerable amount of time testing the products during research and development and has been inundated with complaints from customers about the LG screen's problems, according to the suit.

"The performance disparity between the LG version and the Samsung version is particularly troubling given that Apple represents the MacBook Pro with retina display as a single, unitary product, described as the highest quality notebook display on the market," the complaint said. "None of Apple's advertisements or representations discloses that it produces the computers with display screens that exhibit different levels of performance and quality."
A class action lawsuit is one in which an individual or small number of people file a claim representing a larger group of individuals in similar circumstances.

Article Link: Apple Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Screen Ghosting on Retina MacBook Pros

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can't say that I'm really surprised but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a Samsung screen and no problem

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Sigh, another stupid lawsuit. Just take the thing back, I'm sure Apple will refund you.

Everyone wants a piece of the Apple pie these days.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Read about this yesterday. Finally! A shame it doesn't have to do with the displays themselves. Just Apple not acknowledging it.

Wormwolf

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
This always sucked. It's like rolling a dice. I rememeber buying an iMac and praying that i get a better LCD panel, because there was one better PVA and another TN panel.

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
Sigh, another stupid lawsuit. Just take the thing back, I'm sure Apple will refund you.

How so, they are selling faulty equipment. Not sure why so many people give Apple a pass on these type of things.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
I do hope this action will help Apple refrain from utilizing poor quality panels from LG for the succeeding generation of Macs.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012

You must not have read the entire article. Apple does not acknowledge this as a problem. And will gladly show you the door out.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
I'm sure Apple will just end up refunding him his cost. Waste of time lawsuits are a staple of the American way of law!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
A lawsuit I finally agree with!

I don't have a rMBP, but if I were to buy one and end up with an LG display, I'd exchange it. But then I might end up with another LG display. It's clearly a defect, and isn't acceptable on a machine where the selling point is the display.

Unfortunately Apple supply chain demand means Apple has to use the crappy LG display.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
I have a LG panel in my 15" rMBP & I am running 100% flawless... How come?

Its only when you are on 100% brightness and on a static screen for a while...it goes away pretty quickly when you go to another website/app.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I have a LG panel in my 15" rMBP & I am running 100% flawless... How come?

Doesn't affect them all. But predominantly the LG display. I was having screen flicker issues with mine. Got a Samsung replacement. No issues in over 3 months.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Its only when you are on 100% brightness and on a static screen for a while...it goes away pretty quickly when you go to another website/app.

Is that true? Why is there such a long thread about it? Are that many people doing that? Good it sounds like the whole, hold the iPhone a certain way you have problems thing...

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Legally, Apple should indicate externally what brand panel is used so customer's are informed. Its morally wrong to hide this information on the basis they are all identical - picture says a thousand words. Apple should only use Samsung for displays as they are better and don't have the yellow tinge that all LG panels seem to have. Im surprised Apple still buy from LG, considering this issue, and the same issue on the iMac's. Only Samsung should be used, and anyone that has an LG display should get it swapped for a Samsung model instantly - no questions asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.