Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I know this may sound like a stupid question but how do i show the desktop when i'm in other apps without closing all the windows. What i'm looking for is a shortcut like the one in windows xp or windows 7 where you click the icon to show the desktop. Thanks in advance!

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2011
BC
system preferences >> keyboard >> keyboard shortcuts >> Expose & Spaces >> Desktop >> assign an unused key.

shift-command-d is for mac mail send, and when I assigned command-d it still seemed to want to go to desktop instead of sending... so you may have to play around with it.

on my other systems I don't use mac mail and command-d works like a champ...

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
There isn't anything i can click on to do the same thing? I'm not used to all these keyboard shortcuts. I just came from windows 7 and while this is my second stint with macs, this is the first time i've migrated my main pc to mac.

My previous mac was a mac mini of which i had for about 3 months before selling it, it was overkill for what i was using it for and the extra money went to a netbook. So i'm having to relearn most of what i know when using mac osx.

Don't get me wrong i love using my iMac and wouldn't change it for the world, but i'm just used to clicking on something to show the desktop.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2011
BC
like this?

oh - I see... just re-read... you want a show desktop ICON or button like in 7....

hmm - apart from a 3rd party program to do that, I think the simplest would be to use a shortcut keyboard combo...

or maybe use hot-corners... although I find them annoying when you use mouse acceleration (always triggering them).

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Yeah i was looking for a shortcut icon or something similar but i think i've found something easier. I setup my hot corners in mission control to show desktop, so when i mouse into the lower right hand corner it shows the desktop. I also found using Function + F11 and Command + F3 works too. I just put a sticky note on my desktop to remind me of it :)

Joos24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
My previous mac was a mac mini of which i had for about 3 months before selling it, it was overkill for what i was using it for and the extra money went to a netbook. So i'm having to relearn most of what i know when using mac osx.

Don't get me wrong i love using my iMac and wouldn't change it for the world, but i'm just used to clicking on something to show the desktop.

A Mac mini was overkill?? Wow! You must've had some extremely light tasks that you needed to perform at the time. :D

As far a simple click to Show Desktop, you did the right thing in setting up a hot corner. I understand that you are concerned that this feature is already set up in Windows 7 without any changing of settings but it's actually already set up in Lion as well. Lion is very multitouch-based and if you were using a Magic Trackpad with you iMac or a Macbook then you would just do a 4-finger swipe UP and it would Show Desktop.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Yeah well the problem with it was i had it on my main television so i couldn't watch tv and surf the web at the same time, but as a HTPC it was a little overkill. So instead i just sold it and bought a netbook so i can browse the web and still watch tv. Yes i'm that lazy ;)

iWind130290

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2011
Ha Noi, Viet Nam
I know this may sound like a stupid question but how do i show the desktop when i'm in other apps without closing all the windows. What i'm looking for is a shortcut like the one in windows xp or windows 7 where you click the icon to show the desktop. Thanks in advance!

Use "Hot corner". I save right-bottom-side to active Show Desktop on Lion. Just need to move mouse to right-bottom side. Faster than using hotkeys so much.

Daschund

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
New York Citeeeeeeyyyy!

You can also Command+Option click on any visible part of the desktop. It will go to the desktop and hide all the other ones.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Two options I use:

Hot Corners - I've set lower left corner to automatically show desktop

Gestures - If you have a touchpad, you can enable it so that there's a gesture to go straight to desktop

Cyberhec

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
I also just came from Win 7 to Mac. Is there a way to show desktop and then open only ONE application window? Say I want to drag something from the desktop into an application but too many windows are open. So I SHOW DESKTOP, then when I right-click the app (in the dock) that was previously on top, and open it, ALL OTHER app windows repopen as well.

Or how do you actually get to a file on the desktop in order to drag it to the app you're currently using?

Thanks in advance!

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a multi-button mouse that allows me to perform "show desktop". I also have "mission control", "app exposè", and "dashboard" assigned to the buttons on the side of my mouse.
It's a Logitech G700 if anyone wants to know.

SCSI Cat

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
I also just came from Win 7 to Mac. Is there a way to show desktop and then open only ONE application window? Say I want to drag something from the desktop into an application but too many windows are open. So I SHOW DESKTOP, then when I right-click the app (in the dock) that was previously on top, and open it, ALL OTHER app windows repopen as well.

Or how do you actually get to a file on the desktop in order to drag it to the app you're currently using?

Thanks in advance!

If I'm not missing anything, you would simply 'show desktop' and drag the item to the application's icon in the doc.

hailhail

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks in advance!

There is nothing as good as the show desktop button on PC... That's why i did not migrate to Mac...

If mac put EXACTLY the same thing, i will go to mac. not without it.

John44

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
Yes it can be done. So go buy a Mac.

Show Desktop - View Desktop
Command + F3 will show the desktop.
For other OS X keyboard shortcuts see also http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

"Say I want to drag something from the desktop into an application but too many windows are open."

Open a "New Finder Window":: press [Command N] or Click on the top menu File>New Finder Window. Select "Desktop" as your new finder window. Now you have the desktop in its own window.

You can select how you want to view (4 ways) & arrange (9 ways) the desktop files & folders. You can change the size & move the Desktop Finder Window wherever you want. Leave it open or minimize it into the dock. It contains all the files & folders that are on the desktop. And you can drag things from that Desktop Finder Window into an application.

Show desktop button? Oooooo

You can open any application in another desktop. The same files & folders will be available.
With a Mac you are not limited to one desktop:
I use a track-pad. With a track-pad you can quickly swipe left with three fingers to see new blank Desktops (up to 5 separate desktops). There you can do anything you normally do on any other desktop. You can swipe back and forth between each desktop window without having to close the programs you have opened in each of the 5 desktops. Any changes made to files & directories in one desktop will be applied to all the desktops & those same files will be available in all desktops.

Also swipe up with tree fingers will separate all open programs, finder windows, etc on that desktop.
Then swipe up with two fingers will separate all windows of a specific program. Makes finding things on a desktop easy.

I could go on. Better stop there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.