Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
We are all aware of the inconvenience of having all your music and videos on something like Synology.

So say you have a 400$ NAS with close to 3TB of movies and shows, you dont want to have to go into your iPhone to select what you want to watch, nor do you want to turn on a computer so iTunes can run.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119056

That is my solution, have that little guy hidden in a closet somewhere. Configure it with the absolute minimum of Windows, load iTunes on there and properly configure it so that its wakes only when the Apple tv calls.

I can install something like "https://secure.logmein.com/products/ios/" to go in and remote control if I need to do updates or anything and I am set.

Its MAX power is rated at 65W, and I am sure it will be a LOT less with just iTunes running and a stripped down Windows.

What ya think? Yes it is a bit expensive at 150$ but I am sure I can find a cheaper one at my local store or a refurbished one.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I like it.

You'd have to add RAM and storage for the OS (which runs on what, an SD card maybe?) plus a license for Windows (XP?) so not exactly cheap but you're probably looking at under $300 all-in if you have the NAS already.

Amazon reviews run hot & cold, some complaints about lack of support & reliability issues.

Alternative would be an older model Mac Mini, you could pick up a C2D model in that price range.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
I like it.

You'd have to add RAM and storage for the OS (which runs on what, an SD card maybe?) plus a license for Windows (XP?) so not exactly cheap but you're probably looking at under $300 all-in if you have the NAS already.

Amazon reviews run hot & cold, some complaints about lack of support & reliability issues.

Alternative would be an older model Mac Mini, you could pick up a C2D model in that price range.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think you are right :p

Found a 2007 Mac Mini on Kijiji here for 100$, gonna persue it a bit

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
That's basically what I did. I got an Acer AR3700-U3002. It was $300 even on Amazon at the time. It came with all the licensing and everything. I use Splashtop Remote from my iPad when I need to do anything to it, but that's a rare occasion. It's set to auto-install updates once a week, and I have a script set up to restart iTunes every day at 4:30am just to force it to check for updates and download any Season Pass TV episodes at that time.

iTunes has my library stored on a Drobo FS, and another script backs up my actual library files to the Drobo, just in case that little machine decides to die on me.

I've had that setup for about two years now without any real problems. The only problem I have is that I have to buy HD Season Passes from my iPad as iTunes 11 won't let you buy HD on anything with less than a 2.5 Ghz processor, I think. It wouldn't let me buy the last time I tried, at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.