Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'd rather wait for a great game, than get a garbage one right away.

AFA Rayman, seems like 3rd parties are looking for DRM enabled games, which is rumored for the next gen of Sony and MS.

I think the Wii U will win out if the others come in at around $400 launch and be download or DRM only...

Eh? How can Ubisoft be justifying the launch of Rayman Legends in September as being DRM related when it's going to be a PS3/360/WiiU title, which means no additional DRM? Whatever rumours are flying around about the new consoles, it has literally nothing to do with Legends.

I personally think Nintendo have shot their bolt. Yes, the new Xbox and PS will be $400, but they'll be far more powerful and have the critical third and first party support. Download only isn't going to happen either - it'll be BluRay discs for both game and film, just 50GB capacity rather than the current 25GB.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Eh? How can Ubisoft be justifying the launch of Rayman Legends in September as being DRM related when it's going to be a PS3/360/WiiU title, which means no additional DRM? Whatever rumours are flying around about the new consoles, it has literally nothing to do with Legends.

I personally think Nintendo have shot their bolt. Yes, the new Xbox and PS will be $400, but they'll be far more powerful and have the critical third and first party support. Download only isn't going to happen either - it'll be BluRay discs for both game and film, just 50GB capacity rather than the current 25GB.

I don't know, if Nintendo time a price drop just before the PS4 launch it will take a lot of wind out of Sony's sail (see PSVITA launch). The sad thing is, I am pretty sure that is what is going to happen. Fair enough, that is business, but I really don't want the new gen to be crawling for 2 years because no one has bought a machine.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1539490/

I'm just saying game publishers would rather look towards a DRM future, than invest in the current stuff.

I don't know, if Nintendo time a price drop just before the PS4 launch it will take a lot of wind out of Sony's sail (see PSVITA launch). The sad thing is, I am pretty sure that is what is going to happen. Fair enough, that is business, but I really don't want the new gen to be crawling for 2 years because no one has bought a machine.

Yes, Nintendo, I think, will drop the price of the Wii U by $50 when Sony and MS release their consoles.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

I'm just saying game publishers would rather look towards a DRM future, than invest in the current stuff..

Agreed, but broadband infrastructure isn't at the place where we can all happily download 20GB+ of data per game. There's people still on 1-2Mbit connections out there, and lots of them at that.

DRM is going to be around, because piracy is rampant in certain parts of the world. As for cracking down on second hand sales, that I'm less convinced about due to the backlash that would result.

BD is also a film format. Sony will include it, as they invented it, and Microsoft will include it to increase the Xbox's media chops (and as they bet on HD-DVD for the 360).

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I think the most interesting thing in today's Nintendo Direct presentation was the announcement of the New Super Luigi U DLC.

luigiwiiudlc2.jpg

I wonder how much it'll cost, considering it sounds like an entirely new game?

:apple:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-07-wii-u-exclusive-rayman-legends-to-go-multiplatform

Oh dear, the WiiU loses an exclusive and it gets pushed back in terms of launch. Not good...

Anybody else download the Rayman Legends Demo?

Wow, just wow.

I didn't like the older Rayman games - too cartoonish, but the newly rendered worlds are just incredible. The 2D gameplay is great! The music spectacular!

The only thing I didn't like was that sometimes you had to look down on the touchpad for gameplay. Maybe the PS3/XB360 will not have this annoyance?

Anyone else?

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I'm just saying game publishers would rather look towards a DRM future, than invest in the current stuff.
Yes, Nintendo, I think, will drop the price of the Wii U by $50 when Sony and MS release their consoles.

I hope they drop the price. This article though in an interview states otherwise, however this is now and not at the launch of the ps4. To be honest a reasonable price cut and Super Smash Brothers might be all I need, but we'll see if they are able to pull it off. Till then I wait.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-5...ng-demand-nintendo-rules-out-wii-u-price-cut/

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Anybody else download the Rayman Legends Demo?

Wow, just wow.

I didn't like the older Rayman games - too cartoonish, but the newly rendered worlds are just incredible. The 2D gameplay is great! The music spectacular!

The only thing I didn't like was that sometimes you had to look down on the touchpad for gameplay. Maybe the PS3/XB360 will not have this annoyance?

Anyone else?

Have you played Origins? It was my GOTY for both 2011 (PS3) and 2012 (vita!). Loved it, aiming to get the platinum trophies on both. But the new rendering on Legends is incredible too.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No, I played the older one on PS1 - which platform do you recommend it on?

Ps3, Xbox 360, PC all play the same and vita is great version too looking pretty much identical to its console counterpart.

It's a great game no matter what system to be honest, though the 3DS version is the worst....

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Ps3, Xbox 360, PC all play the same and vita is great version too looking pretty much identical to its console counterpart.

It's a great game no matter what system to be honest, though the 3DS version is the worst....

Does the Wii version require a ton of controller waving? If so, I'm more old-school and will go with the XBox or PS3. Will stop somewheres on the way home and pick up a copy. :D

Just wondering as I've been playing Wii U and that's what I have easy to get to/set up right now.

Saw the trailer for Rayman Origins - totally hysterical - what are the developers on? I want some... :eek:

Thanks....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Does the Wii version require a ton of controller waving? If so, I'm more old-school and will go with the XBox or PS3. Will stop somewheres on the way home and pick up a copy. :D

Just wondering as I've been playing Wii U and that's what I have easy to get to/set up right now.

Saw the trailer for Rayman Origins - totally hysterical - what are the developers on? I want some... :eek:

Thanks....

I don't know if it does have 'wiggle' on wii, but I'd say go for ps3 or xbox as the game really looks pretty at 1080p rather than 480p max you'll get on wii....

:)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No, I played the older one on PS1 - which platform do you recommend it on?

If you have a PS3 go for that one. It's got a better colour range (in general) than the Xbox 360, there's less black crush. And on a game like Rayman you want to see as many of those colours as possible - it's luscious! The PS3 dpad is great for it too. But content wise all versions are the same.

It's good on the Vita too, it just looks beautiful with that OLED screen.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
The Lego City: Undercover reviews are rolling in and it's looking very good so far. It generally seems to be getting an average of around 8/10, which is what I sort of expected going by the rest of the series. That's not to say it isn't without its problems, like ridiculously long load times, but the game itself seems a solid experience overall.

Rejoice fellow U owners, there's finally something unique worth playing other than Mario and ZombiU!

Last edited:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
The Lego City: Undercover reviews are rolling in and it's looking very good so far. It generally seems to be getting an average of around 8/10, which is what I sort of expected going by the rest of the series. That's not to say it isn't without its problems, like ridiculously long load times, but the game itself seems a solid experience overall.

Rejoice follow U owners, there's finally something unique worth playing other than Mario and ZombiU!

Yeah and unlike zombieu, I can play this one with the kids!

----------

Just read a review. No I can't. It's single player...

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

Rejoice fellow U owners, there's finally something unique worth playing other than Mario and ZombiU!

I guess this is doubly good news:
a) they didn't embargo the reviews (unlike Aliens: CM), and
b) the news/reviews are good!

I've been waiting for this...I should have pre-ordered it, but I like walking into the store, being surprised by seeing a new game on the shelf, and buying it. It's hard to get that feeling in the age of downloads!

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
good news! my kids have been into playing lego videogames recently.

anyone see any reviews for Monster Hunter 3? I've never played any in the series but i see it comes out tuesday and target is having a "buy 2 get 1 free" sale

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
good news! my kids have been into playing lego videogames recently.

anyone see any reviews for Monster Hunter 3? I've never played any in the series but i see it comes out tuesday and target is having a "buy 2 get 1 free" sale

MH3 shows its age, not that it isn't fun but its a bit old in the tooth and it shows in the gameplay.

I may pick up Lego City just so I can use the Wii U again, its doing a great job collecting dust and Nintendo seems to be content on not releasing any software...

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I picked up Lego City Undercover today, its supposedly a 30-40 hour game if the Gamespot review is correct.

We shall see, but considering there is nothing on the horizon that looks AAA or even AA for the Wii U its pretty pathetic.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Lego City Undercover is great, it really uses all the Wii has in a very well put together way. The Wii control pad isn't a 2nd thought addition, its a very active and very well placed part of the game, even the sound plays a part in it.

Short of Mario which wasn't the greatest this is a great game, if not the best game I've played on the WiiU thus far. It deserves the good reviews its getting.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Such an incredible shame, the Wii U. I was a big Wii fan and waited in line at launch to get one. Truly some great gaming times on that machine, but I realized Nintendo had jumped the shark when they kept coasting with the Wii hardware long past its expiration date. They really needed new hardware (and a decent online service) 3 years ago. Now it all just seems too-little too-late.

The pseudo-tablet controller just seems weird, and the software catalog is underwhelming and apparently unlikely to change anytime soon. My original Wii gathers dust and my PS3 gets all the gaming time, even with the kids. Looks like my next console will be the PS4.

Nintendo has such great IP too. Here's hoping they eventually ditch the hardware business and get their Mario and other franchises on the other platforms (including iOS).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.