Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Just curious as I want this concern of mine covered before buying a 4th gen. Thanks in advance for your reply.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Yep. I originally had a white iPad 3 to match my phone, but found that the white bezel was a lot harder to "disappear" in to when viewing video content or playing games. For this reason, I went with the black iPad mini and love it. I'll probably always have a white iPhone, though. Best of both worlds! :cool:

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
My iPhone is white but prefer the iPad in black for the same reasons as above. Ideally visit an Apple store or a retailer who has both colours on display, so you can judge for yourself, after all it is you who is going to be using it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you mostly use the ipad for watching videos then yes it can be distracting, but I spend more time reading, emails, and surfing so the screen usually has a light colored or white background. So for me the white iPad is best.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I've had the white ipad 3 since it was first released. My ipad 1 and 2 where both black. I would agree that the white does take some getting used to. It doesn't disappear while watching a movie. That's probably why you never see flat screen TV's in white.

I've gotten used to it. I like the white for looks sake. But will probably go back to black when the ipad 5 comes out. Unless of course the bezel is a lot smaller like the mini.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I guess it's different for everyone. I have all white iOS devices and find them fine for anything, including watching movies.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I guess it's different for everyone. I have all white iOS devices and find them fine for anything, including watching movies.

Agreed. I've never had a problem watching any sort of video in any lighting on my white devices.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Having come from black iPads and being something of a home theater fanatic, I thought I might be bothered by the white bezel on my iPad. It took about a day to get used to it and now I don't even notice it.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
For movies, definitely black bezel.

There's a reason most televisions have a black bezel.

I tried a white iPad for a while, they look great when off and more distinct (though what is distinct these days? Everybody has an iSomething). And for web and email and stuff, the bezel size feels more justified and seamless.

I actually don't mind the big bezel though. I don't want my grip getting in the way of seeing things. For the mini form factor, it seems less an issue.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Switched from a black generation 1 to a white generation 2 and love it. As some others have said, I was aware of the white border when watching movies for about a day, then I became used to it and now it doesn't bother me at all. Overall, I've been very happy with the white iPad and may choose white again for my next one. YMMV.

Mactabulous

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2011
That's cool.. I've never seen any white Flat screens here in the States. That doesn't mean they don't sell them. I have a 47 and a 34 inch Samsung. Both in black.

Actually, it looks quite cheap-ish, but whatever floats your boat. My Samsung TV has a wafer thin metal bezel (high-end 8 series).

/end hijack :)

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I went from black to white just for a change. I figured I would swap it out within a week and go back to black, but actually I got used to it.
In fact, I think the white makes the mini look a bit larger.
I now think black looks boring like every other tablet out there.
The white is a very clean look. No distracting here.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
My wife has the white while I have the black. Black is so much more comfortable on the eyes (you don't have the presence of a white bezel glaring at you in dark scenes) to watch Videos on the black as it doesn't feel like you're watching a video in a white box. Yes you will get use to white like anything else but with black, well it just works.:p

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I went from a black iPad 1 to a white iPad 3. I don't really notice any change in how distracted my eyes are during anything (watching movies, photo viewing, web browsing, etc).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Another "yes" here. It's why I always go black bezel, always will if available. It's not a fashion item, it's a device. I'm going to look at it, not wear it. Who cares black is boring looking. Who stares at a device when its turned off?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks for your input.

I never owned anything but black electronics where applicable. The white would be a change of pace and I probably can get to use to it if it was distracting to begin with but why bother. If I ever bought an iPhone, it would be black also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.