Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
I want to buy an iPhone 5 and I have the iPhone 4 right now. Should I buy one now or next month or wait?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
If you buy one next month it will be the iPhone 5, not like they're coming out with the 5S before summer.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
If I were you I would wait for the new phone which should come out by the fall. If you really can't stand your 4 however, buy the five, because two generations is a significant upgrade. You will probably be happy with it anyway.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
If I were you I would wait for the new phone which should come out by the fall. If you really can't stand your 4 however, buy the five, because two generations is a significant upgrade. You will probably be happy with it anyway.

I really.. REALLY can't stand my iPhone 4. I hardly use apps like facebook, games, twitter, tumblr etc. anymore because it's so slow and annoying to use. I just a new phone now and since todays presentation by Samsung, I know it will most probably never be a galaxy.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I really.. REALLY can't stand my iPhone 4. I hardly use apps like facebook, games, twitter, tumblr etc. anymore because it's so slow and annoying to use. I just a new phone now and since todays presentation by Samsung, I know it will most probably never be a galaxy.

iPhone 5 is leagues apart compared to the 4S, let-a-lone the 4. You should go and do it - you'll easily be waiting 5-7 months for the 5S to come along and it won't be much of an update - certainly not the difference you'll see coming 2 generations like you would be now.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

your mind will be blown if you get the iphone 5.. such a huge upgrade from the 4

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
iPhone 5 is leagues apart compared to the 4S, let-a-lone the 4. You should go and do it - you'll easily be waiting 5-7 months for the 5S to come along and it won't be much of an update - certainly not the difference you'll see coming 2 generations like you would be now.

I love the iPhone 5! Most beautiful phone Apple has ever done yet. I don't know if I would have picked a white or black one. I love the white one a bit more. I get tired of black phones sometimes.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
buy it from the apple store. apple gives you 30 days to mull it over. if you don't like it, return it, and get the different color.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
I love the iPhone 5! Most beautiful phone Apple has ever done yet. I don't know if I would have picked a white or black one. I love the white one a bit more. I get tired of black phones sometimes.

I've had both - the black chamfered edge scratches far too easily for me but now I have white and you get a small build up of dirt around the home button and edge which is nigh on impossible to remove. Can't win :mad:

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
buy it from the apple store. apple gives you 30 days to mull it over. if you don't like it, return it, and get the different color.

I'm in Sweden so we don't have an official Apple Store. Actually, we have one but it's too far from me!

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Just a quick question...I also have a 4 (which works quite well). Battery is still good too. Approaching 2 years and 4 months. Can somebody explain me (briefly) how the 5 is better than my current 4 apart from the larger screen? It's a honest question...I'm just wondering and very curious. My plan is to keep the 4 for another year or so.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
I've had both - the black chamfered edge scratches far too easily for me but now I have white and you get a small build up of dirt around the home button and edge which is nigh on impossible to remove. Can't win :mad:

I have a white iPad and the homebutton is shiny white. I'm not that dirty :) I wash my hands if they're dirty because of food if I want to use my ipad.

----------

Just a quick question...I also have a 4 (which works quite well). Battery is still good too. Approaching 2 years and 4 months. Can somebody explain me (briefly) how the 5 is better than my current 4 apart from the larger screen? It's a honest question...I'm just wondering and very curious. My plan is to keep the 4 for another year or so.

You are the one who decides if you think it's worth it. Not us. I think it's really worth it. :)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-4/specs.html

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012

More responsive, better screen quality (IPS), faster loading times whilst browsing in Safari, gaming, loading movies, using the OS etc. Lightning dock is much quicker at transferring over the older pin connector. That's just a few things. The phone is also a lot lighter and slimmer than the 4.

----------

I have a white iPad and the homebutton is shiny white. I'm not that dirty :) I wash my hands if they're dirty because of food if I want to use my ipad.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iPad yes - I have a white 3rd gen and it is spotless. The iPhone (mixed with my outdoor job, handling whilst drinking and eating, sweat at the gym etc) does not hold up so well to dirt unfortunately.

Last edited:

3GEE

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009

My wife's 3G had pretty much worn out so she just got her 5 yesterday. I have the 4 so this was our first experience with a couple of upgrades.

The 5 is fantastic, we are blown away with the performance. Even though I am more than tempted to upgrade now, my 4 stills runs very well. I will likely wait for the next version but if my 4 was acting up I would jump at the 5.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
If you need to upgrade, go for it now. Getting the 5 after a month will only delay you getting a new phone, it wont save you any money. However, if you can wait, then wait for the next gen (5S or whatever) in a few months.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I upgraded to the 5 today. I don't always need the latest and greatest. Somebody else on my plan wanted my 4s so I obliged. Otherwise I'd have been content with the 4s.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN

If you can't stand your iPhone 4 anymore I would go ahead a pull the trigger on the iPhone 5, you won't regret it. The 5S will be an "S" update so it won't be much different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.