Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Some background...

Used to do alot of mountain biking, but stopped about 7 years ago due to time considerations (most good places to ride are at least an hour away from me by car), and switched to road riding using a circa 1980 Fuji Royale that was too large, too heavy, and too uncomfortable to ride. I stuck it out with that bike for the past five years riding about 100 miles a week during the spring/summer/fall months.

Finally broke down and decided to buy a new bike, with an intended budget of $1000.00. I did a little bit of research, just enough to get a feel for what is currently out there and what bikes were getting what reviews...

Visited a couple of different shops, and settled on one that seemed to have a friendly, knowledgable staff...

End result, after riding 5-6 different models over two days I walked away with a Specialized Roubaix Sport Compact.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/roubaix/roubaixsportcompact#specs

It was more than I had intended on spending, but the ride was so superior to the bikes in my price range I said **** it, plus I was able to negotiate a little bit (Got it for $1899.00 out the door).

Im happy with the purchase, and I am sure there are a gazillion other bikes to choose from at that price. Interested in hearing opinions from the cyclists on this forum about this bike though...

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Awesome bike! I bought a Specialized Secteur some time ago, so I'm quite envious.

It really doesn't matter what we think of your bike, if you like it and it feels right, you made an excellent choice!

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
^^ easy to spend that and more on a good bike. The specialized site is being a bit odd right now though.

It's not my personal style but looks like it'll go the distance, and if it's a better ride than what you've had it was a good buy. A hundred miles a week on a poorly fitting bike is no fun. Good time of year for a new bike.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Damn, almost two grand for a bicycle?:eek: I'd like to check it out but your link isn't working.

^^ easy to spend that and more on a good bike. The specialized site is being a bit odd right now though.

It's not my personal style but looks like it'll go the distance, and if it's a better ride than what you've had it was a good buy. A hundred miles a week on a poorly fitting bike is no fun. Good time of year for a new bike.

Yup:) I am saving for a nice road bike as well. Most "good" ones are easily in the multiple thousands

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
My experience is that once your budget allows you to buy good wheels and a good drivetrain, it comes down to weight and personal preference. For me, and I think for most halfway serious riders, the adjustment of a properly sized frame to the riding style and dimensions of the rider makes far more difference than anything else. After you're in cycling shape and have been riding the bike regularly for a couple of weeks, take it to a shop with an experienced and trained fitter. I think you may be surprised how much difference small tweaks make. You may also get some suggestions for altering your position on the bike as your fitness improves and as you develop more particular interests, like sprinting, climbing, endurance, or competing.

Specialized is well-regarded brand, and you certainly didn't go wrong. Different people look for different things from a bike, have different budgets, different riding positions, and different aesthetic sensibilities; at this level there isn't a lot of worthwhile arguing about taste. For most of us on a bike that fits well, the amount of pressure in the tires makes more difference in the ride quality than would switching to another brand in the same price range.

From now on it's a matter of making the bike yours, taking good care of it, and finding a way to consistently motivate yourself once the excitement of a new bicycle fades. Just like mountain bike riding, finding a compatible group to ride with on a regular basis is a great way to keep yourself in the saddle, to learn more about the sport, and to make yourself feel a lot better about what you spent to get a good bike.

Use it in good health.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Damn, almost two grand for a bicycle?:eek: I'd like to check it out but your link isn't working.

You totally know where that extra money went when you ride it.

----------

e.g.: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/projectone#model/madone7seriesteamedition

$12,389.98, plus tax...plus pedals, a bike computer, bottle cages, a saddlebag, lights, car rack, shoes and cleats, a helmet, cycling clothing for all seasons, and a divorce lawyer.

It adds up.

No PEDs included.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah, that what I was saying, trust me. This bike is equal to one mortgage payment for me, so financially its significant to me, I'll be eating lots of ramen for some time to make up for this. They had bikes on the wall that were $14,000.00

When I walked in with a top most budget of $1000.00, I thought that was overspending, I really only wanted to pay $800 or so, but than I started test riding the different bikes and realized I needed to make some adjustments to my budget if I wanted to get one that offered a good ride.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
can't access the link but if remember correctly I have see in it in a shop last week when I went to get new tyres.. Is that the full carbon fiber model (both frame and forks)? in that case you made a good deal, you will definitively enjoy it!
I wish I could afford one as expensive as yours...

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

Mate, that's nothing. :D

Don't ask how I know that.... ;)

glocke12: Make sure you get a good fit done on the bike. That will make your riding a lot more enjoyable. And the fit will change too, as you do.

Cool bike - enjoy riding it. I nearly went Specialized myself when I was starting off, but got a Trek, thanks to the persuasion powers of a very well known Sydney bike store in Clarence Street. ;)

People who see me can't believe how much I've changed - they are shocked that I'm weighing only 62kg now.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
can't access the link but if remember correctly I have see in it in a shop last week when I went to get new tyres.. Is that the full carbon fiber model (both frame and forks)? in that case you made a good deal, you will definitively enjoy it!
I wish I could afford one as expensive as yours...

yes, full carbon fiber model....

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
nice bike!

i love my Trek 520 more than i love my car.
it's easy to pay a lot for a bike... i think i only paid about 1200 for my Trek new - but then i replaced the seat and rack and bought new Arkel panniers to go with it... so i definitely topped 2k at the end of the day.

but the bike changed my life...small price to pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.