Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
I tried to love the mini, really I did.

I had it for a week and loved the weight and feel of the device. But I just couldn't get past the non retina. I know some people don't notice it, but I just couldn't get past it.

So now I have a new beautiful iPad 4 and am patiently awaiting the retina mini whenever it decides to drop.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Welcome back to Retina goodness :)

Have no idea how some people don't notice the difference, the very 1st thing that struck me with the Mini in store was the pixilated screen, I loved the look and feel, but for me the screen, both size and quality, just didn't do it for me.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
It's not the best. But not bad by any means.

I am fortunate enough to own an iPad 3 and was gifted the mini, so am not biased. But the mini has it's own merits, where the 9.7" iPad is not 100% practical (for example, reading books and playing games).

Just my opinion that the mini is easier to hold for certain tasks.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
once you've been spoiled by retina, the bar for displays is raised. It has for me

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010

I had it for a week and loved the weight and feel of the device. But I just couldn't get past the non retina. I know some people don't notice it, but I just couldn't get past it.

So now I have a new beautiful iPad 4 and am patiently awaiting the retina mini whenever it decides to drop.

Make sure you do your light bleed, discoloration and stuck pixel tests. Oh, and good luck!

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Make sure you do your light bleed, discoloration and stuck pixel tests. Oh, and good luck!

Yep, put it through its paces and all is good! I had some light bleed on the mini and it drove me crazy. This one is sealed up tight.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK

I'm doing the same tomorrow. I love the size/weight/portability of the mini but after being spoiled with retina goodness it's hard to settle with anything less for long. I'm picking up a white 64GB LTE version. I'm definitely excited to see that wonderful screen again.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Lol, must be something in the drinking water today cause I have a buyer for my mini and I am buying the 4 in a few hours

No regrets with the mini really except I am watching more tv shows and movies now and playing games more too and want the bigger display.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Lol, must be something in the drinking water today cause I have a buyer for my mini and I am buying the 4 in a few hours

No regrets with the mini really except I am watching more tv shows and movies now and playing games more too and want the bigger display.

You won't regret it. I love the 4. I don't even think a retina mini would be enough for me to switch.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I did the opposite, actually. The retina display is unquestionably awesome, but the iPad feels like a brick. I'm too used to the mini's svelte form factor now. So easy to just throw in a briefcase or bag and go. I barely even notice it's there.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Have no idea how some people don't notice the difference, the very 1st thing that struck me with the Mini in store was the pixilated screen, I loved the look and feel, but for me the screen, both size and quality, just didn't do it for me.

Maybe everyone's eyesight is not 20-20.

I can see distance 20-20, but when something is upclose to me, less than 2 feet, it's 'slightly' blurry. Not enough to need glasses, just slightly not there. I think this accounts for me not being able to tell the difference.

I tried a pair of over-the-counter reading glasses, and lo-and-behold, I COULD see the space between the pixels on my monitor at home, and I CANNOT see the pixels on my iPhone.

So, the difference is there, but only if you have great eyesight - which is probably mostly for the younger crowd or those who wear glasses.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
I did the opposite, actually. The retina display is unquestionably awesome, but the iPad feels like a brick. I'm too used to the mini's svelte form factor now. So easy to just throw in a briefcase or bag and go. I barely even notice it's there.

Lol. Yes, it does weigh like a brick, you're not wrong there. In my opinion, though, the display more than makes up for it.

But how cool, that we have the option to choose.

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Lol. Yes, it does weigh like a brick, you're not wrong there. In my opinion, though, the display more than makes up for it.

But how cool, that we have the option to choose.

Then there are those of us who chose both. I find the LPS mini ideal for out an about as well as a nice GPS while the wifi 4 is great for a laptop replacement at home as well as for schoolwork for the kids. Now if I can only get Apple to replace my broken mini with one that is not defective :rolleyes: If they don't do it quick my wife and kids may never get the 4 back :D

Last edited:

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Maybe everyone's eyesight is not 20-20.

I can see distance 20-20, but when something is upclose to me, less than 2 feet, it's 'slightly' blurry. Not enough to need glasses, just slightly not there. I think this accounts for me not being able to tell the difference.

I tried a pair of over-the-counter reading glasses, and lo-and-behold, I COULD see the space between the pixels on my monitor at home, and I CANNOT see the pixels on my iPhone.

So, the difference is there, but only if you have great eyesight - which is probably mostly for the younger crowd or those who wear glasses.

Suggesting you need 20/20 vision to fully appreciate and notice a retina display?

Using an iPhone 4, 4S, or 5 for one day then looking at a 3GS is night and day.

And if you can't see things within 2 feet of you properly you DO need glasses.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Other than weight I really don't find the mini to be all that much more portable than its bigger brother.

The retina display definitely has spoiled me as well.

I'd like to see a weight reduction of the iPad 4 next round, I really didn't notice how heavy the device was until I put it in my bag and took it to work the other day. Also better charge times would be nice.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Well it's definitely good to be back on the Big Boy. The screen and godly horsepower of the 4 is refreshing to say the least. Very fun.

I will say this, if the mini goes retina as expected it will be the perfect tablet, even if it's A5X based.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Other than weight I really don't find the mini to be all that much more portable than its bigger brother.

The retina display definitely has spoiled me as well.

I'd like to see a weight reduction of the iPad 4 next round, I really didn't notice how heavy the device was until I put it in my bag and took it to work the other day. Also better charge times would be nice.

Couldn't agree more, I have been saying it since I picked up my iPad 3 on launch day, the weight of the iPad 3/4 is horrible. On the iPad 2, I would read iBooks with one hand hours at a time. 10 minutes with the iPad 3 and my hand is straining.
I know it isn't ridiculously heavy, but for its' use, it is simply too heavy.

I am holding out in hope that the iPad 5 is lighter, if not, I might give it a miss and get a mini.

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Couldn't agree more, I have been saying it since I picked up my iPad 3 on launch day, the weight of the iPad 3/4 is horrible. On the iPad 2, I would read iBooks with one hand hours at a time. 10 minutes with the iPad 3 and my hand is straining.
I know it isn't ridiculously heavy, but for its' use, it is simply too heavy.

I am holding out in hope that the iPad 5 is lighter, if not, I might give it a miss and get a mini.

Ever since I put ours in one of these (for the kids)

http://www.medgestore.com/products/ipad2-supershell.psp?device=ipad4

I don't notice the weight since it is so easy and comfortable to hold. I have even been taking it to the gym while I await my replaced mini.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
i wonder what people with Ipad 1/2 are thinking right now. when it was released nobody even care about the display. to them it was an awesome piece of technology. we had the old iphone and we're totally satisfied with the display. people get spoiled, and are spoiled - now it's retina or not. i did the same thing, went to Apple so many times. i have an Ipad 3 with retina display and an Iphone 4S but i still went back and forth to apple store and finally i got myself an Ipad Mini. the display is OK with me. it's not like i will not function without the retina display. the mini to me is still a nice alternative to an Ipad 3 when you want less realty. i can bring it anywhere i go and the Ipad 3 stays at home all the time. i like the mini for it's convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.