Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Simply the best case all around that I've found over 4 years.

I still like the Magul Executive Field Case that I had for my iphone 4 better, but I haven't found anything better than the Tones for the iphone 5 yet. I was really hoping that I would like Magpul's Field Case for the iphone 5 but it lasted all of a day on my phone before I went back to the Tones (I found the Field case to be a bit too bulky and it felt a little rough in my hands).

I'd like something thinner than the Tones and with all of the same features, but that seems to be impossible to find. I like the fact that the Tones covers all 4 sides of the phone (and the buttons) and that even though it has a slight lay on the table design, the case doesn't overlap onto the screen. It's a lot like the Magpul Executive Field case in that way, but I think the Executive was a thinner case.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Just discovered something incredibly annoying about my Tones case: none of my headphones or aux cables fit! Seems like they designed the recessed headphone port for the super thin, super flimsy apple headphones. Anyone have any ideas of how I can make the case work with my headphones, other than just drilling a larger hole? I'm thinking of just buying a short headphone extension cable. Very annoying though. :(
All of my Sony, Skullcandy, and Sennheisers fit.

And of course the Apple ones. It's a pretty standard sized hole.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I still like the Magul Executive Field Case that I had for my iphone 4 better, but I haven't found anything better than the Tones for the iphone 5 yet. I was really hoping that I would like Magpul's Field Case for the iphone 5 but it lasted all of a day on my phone before I went back to the Tones (I found the Field case to be a bit too bulky and it felt a little rough in my hands).

I'd like something thinner than the Tones and with all of the same features, but that seems to be impossible to find. I like the fact that the Tones covers all 4 sides of the phone (and the buttons) and that even though it has a slight lay on the table design, the case doesn't overlap onto the screen. It's a lot like the Magpul Executive Field case in that way, but I think the Executive was a thinner case.

I had the Magpul exec field for my 4S as you know. I liked it, but I like the Tones better. The exec has some give and play which made me wonder how much lip protection it might really give.

I agree the two are very similar. I think the Tones is superior, the fit is better and more lip height without using screen area. So I didn't even take the iPhone 5 Magpul too seriously.

Just my opinion.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I had the Magpul exec field for my 4S as you know. I liked it, but I like the Tones better. The exec has some give and play which made me wonder how much lip protection it might really give.

I agree the two are very similar. I think the Tones is superior, the fit is better and more lip height without using screen area. So I didn't even take the iPhone 5 Magpul too seriously.

Just my opinion.

I think you're right about the Executive being more flimsy and maybe not quite as protective. The Tones really is a great case. Other than the paint on the ring around the flash peeling off, I really haven't had any issues with it. The buttons could be a little easier to press maybe (or provide a little more feedback), but that's nitpicking when it hits the mark in so many other areas for me.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I think you're right about the Executive being more flimsy and maybe not quite as protective. The Tones really is a great case. Other than the paint on the ring around the flash peeling off, I really haven't had any issues with it. The buttons could be a little easier to press maybe (or provide a little more feedback), but that's nitpicking when it hits the mark in so many other areas for me.

We agree.

On my Exec, I had flash back problems...so I had to use a sharpie to blacken the flash ring opening to fix it....now on my tones, when the black peels off...I use the same sharpie to touch it up.... LOL ;)

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Received a white/grey Switcheasy Tones I ordered from Amazon today, very disappointed to be honest. I have read so many reviews praising this case and can not understand why. The fitment of the case is very good but it just feels and looks cheap on my white iPhone 5. Not sure if the Spigen Slim Armor I received earlier in the week is impacting my thoughts on the Tones but this case is going to to Amazon Monday morning.

DMB1

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I have this problem with both my Tones and the one I bought for my girlfriend. They agreed to replace them for me but they wanted me to send the defective ones to them first (not gonna happen because I'm not carrying my phone naked). I tried to get them to just send out replacements and put a hold on my credit card but they wouldn't do that. I ended up ordering two replacement cases and they're going to refund me when they receive the defective cases back from me. Not ideal but it's good enough.

not ideal but at least its something. what cases did you order?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Received a white/grey Switcheasy Tones I ordered from Amazon today, very disappointed to be honest. I have read so many reviews praising this case and can not understand why. The fitment of the case is very good but it just feels and looks cheap on my white iPhone 5. Not sure if the Spigen Slim Armor I received earlier in the week is impacting my thoughts on the Tones but this case is going to to Amazon Monday morning.

It all comes down to personal preference on looks.

Regarding comparison to SA, which is a nice case:

They are made from the same materials: TPU and Polycarbonate. But the poly is hard coated on the Tones, like eyeglasses, so it wont scratch. My SA scratches with no effort.

As you say the fit is perfect. I just used my Tones in a dust environment, sanding and painting for 6 days. Took it off and there was NO dust anywhere under the case.

Very slim. Had many cases and this is a good combination of protections, thinness, lightweight (SA is 60% heavier) and snugness. Hasn't broken with many removals to go uncased.

The rough finish on the Tones gives a better grip

My daughter's white phone looks great with the purple. I have the black with grey. Also blue. I do think the white picks up dirt easily, from what others have said. The purple has been fine. So too the grey. Blue is too new.

But if it doesn't work for you return it. But these are the practical reasons I like it and what I need a case for. I've only like leather cases better than the Tones.

Lastly, with the new price for the SA, the Tones is a better deal considering the extras it comes with plus the 2 year warranty.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It all comes down to personal preference on looks.

Regarding comparison to SA, which is a nice case:

They are made from the same materials: TPU and Polycarbonate. But the poly is hard coated on the Tones, like eyeglasses, so it wont scratch. My SA scratches with no effort.

As you say the fit is perfect. I just used my Tones in a dust environment, sanding and painting for 6 days. Took it off and there was NO dust anywhere under the case.

Very slim. Had many cases and this is a good combination of protections, thinness, lightweight (SA is 60% heavier) and snugness. Hasn't broken with many removals to go uncased.

The rough finish on the Tones gives a better grip

My daughter's white phone looks great with the purple. I have the black with grey. Also blue. I do think the white picks up dirt easily, from what others have said. The purple has been fine. So too the grey. Blue is too new.

But if it doesn't work for you return it. But these are the practical reasons I like it and what I need a case for. I've only like leather cases better than the Tones.

Lastly, with the new price for the SA, the Tones is a better deal considering the extras it comes with plus the 2 year warranty.

It will pick up grime, nature of TPU.

Liking my blue ok. Not a fan of colors on general though. Don't like dark boring cases. the new SA colors are brilliantly awesome.

Don't like how Tones' blue and green are pastel like shaded. Ah well, fit and all is so good rocking it until better.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
It will pick up grime, nature of TPU.

Liking my blue ok. Not a fan of colors on general though. Don't like dark boring cases. the new SA colors are brilliantly awesome.

Don't like how Tones' blue and green are pastel like shaded. Ah well, fit and all is so good rocking it until better.

The color selection is a common concern. I agree the new SA colors and black are better.

We should write Switcheasy to do better with the colors. :)

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
The buttons on my new blue Tones are much softer than my 5 month old black Tones. Wonder if it was designed differently? Definitely like it better.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
My Tones is actually splitting along the seam where the TPU meets the hard plastic on the side of the phone where the volume buttons are located. Glad I already ordered my replacments but I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem moving forward with the replacements as well. I've read about other people having that same problem and now I see how it can happen.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Dyed Black Tones Case- matching SA color

I think my case search has slowed down! Now have a real black SwitchEasy Tones case!

I used RIT black dye that can be purchased at CVS, grocery store for $5

I've had the Tones since October, and got a free replacement in Feb. The case holds up well, and the new one from October still has the black camera ring intact. So it seems that problem has been resolved. Buttons were a little softer too.

For those that don't like the grey look of the Tones, take a look at this post.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16048158/

Fellow here dyed the Tones black with RIT. Looks much blacker!

Tones is still the best slimmest, robust case I've found.

Photos of my RIT dyed Tones case: RIT dyed black Tones, OEM Tones blue and Spigen Slim Armor. You can see it came out quite well. Very pleased to get dark charcoal color on the top and bottom third.

I didn't use simmering water/dye, but in a pot on stove set at low..scalding hot. Took 45 minutes. Lower temperature water will take longer, and after 45min would be a dark grey, not a dark black charcoal.

vf

Attachments

• DSC00982.JPG
    DSC00982.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 109
  • DSC00993.JPG
    DSC00993.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
My Tones is actually splitting along the seam where the TPU meets the hard plastic on the side of the phone where the volume buttons are located. Glad I already ordered my replacments but I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem moving forward with the replacements as well. I've read about other people having that same problem and now I see how it can happen.

My replacement tones just started to split as well. Seems like a common problem with these cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.