Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I hope this is what I (presumably the internet police) just said. :)

Yes, please just don't link to sites that tell you where to get pirated stuff, don't discuss programs or networks that are only used to get pirated stuff and have no other use, and don't discuss how to use legitimate programs (like the one's being discussed here) to get pirated stuff. It's not a freedom of speech issue -- even without SOPA/etc, putting all that stuff on MR has the potential to jeopardize the accessibility of this forum to its users, as well as potentially places the people who provide this forum at legal risk.

This thread is 2 pages long and not one single post here contains, directly or implied, any link to any pirated software nor any link with directions on to pirate software. Thank you for your active moderation though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This thread is 2 pages long and not one single post here contains, directly or implied, any link to any pirated software nor any link with directions on to pirate software. Thank you for your active moderation though.
That's because they've been deleted.

clinker75

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
I've been a huge fan of azureus and its useful plugins ecosystem for various purpose (RSS, http server..); then, with Vuse and the new interface it has become a little too bloated in my opinion.

I've recently changed to Trasmission and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

silverhand31

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
I found that Transmission likely want to upload more than download?
When I tried Vuze, it download right after add, and tried to upload a little
But for Transmission, always want to upload first.
Test with the latest torrent - 1,2 seeds but thousand peers.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
I've used Transmission for a long time.

But now whenever I stop downloads, it crashes.

Anyone else experiencing this?

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
Oh wow, it looks like a lot of people like Transmission! I think I'll give that a shot. I've been using uTorrent for such a long time, and I think it's time for a change. :rolleyes:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Transmission, definitely. But since we're talking about torrents, can someone tell me what a magnet link is? Are they anonymous, faster? Is there any benefit to them at all, and why did TPB start using them.

bansheebeat

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
My only problem with Transmission is you can't select individual files in a torrent, it's all or nothing. Other than that I think it's great.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Care to explain how?

When you add a torrent, this window comes up. Simply untick the files and folders you don't want.

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-09%20at%2018.37.36.png

EDIT: Ninja'd by McScooby :p File inspector also works perfectly.

TheLegend

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2010
I find Vuze to work great. Simple to set up and use. Transmission does the job too.

Begoozam

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Comms Hungry

Even though I have been using Transmission for several years due to its low processor footprint, I have been forever frustrated by its desire to hog ALL of the bandwidth available. So if you need to browse with Safari, for example, whilst there is a Transmission download going on, you can go and make a four course dinner waiting for anything to happen.

And this has been the case across OS versions and different hardwares too.
So - it works, for sure, but don't expect to do anything else on line at the same time

A mate swears by Vuze - that ghastly processor hog that wants to be all things to all men. But his DLs are ripping fast and it seems to function stably and without issues.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Even though I have been using Transmission for several years due to its low processor footprint, I have been forever frustrated by its desire to hog ALL of the bandwidth available. So if you need to browse with Safari, for example, whilst there is a Transmission download going on, you can go and make a four course dinner waiting for anything to happen.

Make a trip to the preferences and set global upload/download bandwidth limits, then. There's even a little "rabbit" icon right on the main window that puts it into throttled mode. You can also set it up throttle/unthrottle at certain times of day. I have mine unthrottled starting after midnight out of consideration to my neighbors. Nothing worse than Netflix buffering...

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I used to use Transmission, but I fell victim to an intermittent resource-hogging bug that apparently affected a lot of users on their bugzilla, where the system would quickly grind to a halt as Transmission choked it. The developers couldn't track it down, blaming an OSX IO issue, although it only affected Transmission. uTorrent had matured sufficiently by then, though still in Beta, for me to try. It doesn't have all the features of the Windows version or of Transmission, esp the ability to move a torrent to a different location while keeping it alive, or placing downloads into specific locations. uTorrent at least gained the ability to place in folders matching the label you gave it. Maybe it's time to try it out again

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
µTorrent, as it is the only Torrent client that handles file-selections well.
If a data-block is shared between 2 files, all clients list both files in your download folder, even when you select just 1.
µTorrent does not, it only lists the selected file. This alone is making all other options unusable for me, as sub-selections are very important for me (MAME roms for example).

----------

It doesn't have all the features of the Windows version or of Transmission, esp the ability to move a torrent to a different location while keeping it alive, or placing downloads into specific locations.
It does. You have 2 options: change location automatically after completion, or do it manually by right-clicking it.

The only problem with µ is that it does not quit fast enough. If you pick shut-down, it often conflicts with quitting µTorrent. So you have to quit it manually first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.