Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I was just like everyone in here until I bought a Samsung Smart TV with Vudu built in. I linked my flixster and vudu account and could not be happier with it.

I still use my ATV2, but since it is only 720p I usually end up watching all of my content using VUDU and I have a library of 45 movies and only 1 of them came with a standard copy. One time I tried to watch Ted on my appletv and it said I had to wait 38 minutes to watch?!?!? Went to Vudu and it started instantly and I think it sounds better too...

The flixster app for my phone and ipad allow for streaming the movies which makes it way more useful than my cloud itunes movies that I have to download to watch them.

A little note: some digital copies will not say itunes compatible anywhere, but if you goto your itunes and click redeem many of them still redeem in itunes.

----------

I just entered a ticket with Sony on Looper. I tried getting the UV copy of Dark Knight Rises and never even got it in my library. This thing is a complete nightmare. I asked Sony to "please please please" stop using Ultraviolet. I explained to them how frustrating it is to need 3 accounts just to try to get the thing on my phone. What a disaster.

I have no interest in having a Flixster app on my phone just so I can download it every time I want to watch it. What a joke.

Edit: Sony told me to pound sand. Ultraviolet copies are included as a "bonus." This will be a consideration in future purchases advertising "Ultraviolet"

Flixster is not a bad app, you should check it out. Everything is cloud based and you can stream unlike with the default itunes movies. I even got 11 free movies from them just for doing a few simple tasks.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Ultraviolet copies are included as a "bonus." This will be a consideration in future purchases advertising "Ultraviolet"

And they wonder why they can't stop piracy with boneheaded moves like this that don't make a lick of sense. It's the equivalent of each studio releasing DVDs/Blu-rays, but ones that will ONLY play on a player made by those studios. Trying to lock your customers into an ecosystem they don't want to be locked into is only going to piss them off and encourage them to turn to other methods.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
And they wonder why they can't stop piracy with boneheaded moves like this that don't make a lick of sense. It's the equivalent of each studio releasing DVDs/Blu-rays, but ones that will ONLY play on a player made by those studios. Trying to lock your customers into an ecosystem they don't want to be locked into is only going to piss them off and encourage them to turn to other methods.

My thoughts exactly. They sent a long email explaining all the ways I could play the movie on my iDevices. None of them answered my desire to just have them in iTunes. As someone else said, I don't care to go here for this movie, there for that movie, where was that other movie again? Forget it. They are all in iTunes.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
My biggest hope is for this entire misguided UltraViolet experiment to end up the Betamax of digital movies—nothing more than a historical footnote.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
with iTunes digital copies i bought the bluray of most films on release day, even ones i would normally have waited months, for bargain binning , no question, now , with ultraviolet, i will probably only buy 2 or three this year, the rest, torrented, then bought when in the bargain bin.

I still have my 1st gen apple TV which i like to load up with films and take to the cabin, no internet, and not a good enough mobile signal for streaming anything.

I like a copy of the file, that plays, without needing to be connected to anything, and that wont expire, or be pulled years from now.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Has anyone found a solution for this other than emailing them? i tried for several movies, but they all said no.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Glad to help :) I hope enough people complain, and submit tickets that WB learns they need to at least give people a choice for what kind of digital download works best for them. I'm sure the UltraViolet/Flixster thing works great for some people, but for many others we want it through iTunes, and I'm sure there's even other people that would prefer a Windows Media File. Hollywood doesn't seem to understand that when they heavily restrict their offerings that's when people start copying movies because they (as legal buyers of the movies) get sick of the hassel they get when they are buying the movies. It becomes more appealing for even honest people to pirate movies because they don't have to deal with the hassel and insanity that Hollywood wants to try and impose.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant huh ? lol

This is a perfect example of voting with your $$$. If enough people complain and avoid buying that digital download crap, the content providers will be forced to comply with what the people want.

----------

I just entered a ticket with Sony on Looper. I tried getting the UV copy of Dark Knight Rises and never even got it in my library. This thing is a complete nightmare. I asked Sony to "please please please" stop using Ultraviolet. I explained to them how frustrating it is to need 3 accounts just to try to get the thing on my phone. What a disaster.

I have no interest in having a Flixster app on my phone just so I can download it every time I want to watch it. What a joke.

Edit: Sony told me to pound sand. Ultraviolet copies are included as a "bonus." This will be a consideration in future purchases advertising "Ultraviolet"

That is why I put the DVD in my Mac and ripped it. Ultraviolet is total garbage.

KOZO

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
Ultraviolet response to itunes code request

Well Ultraviolet is no longer giving out iTunes codes. I suggest avoiding all Ultraviolet purchases as they cannot be transferred to iTunes!!

"Dear Valued Consumer,

Your Ultraviolet titles may be downloaded to your devices via a Flixster or a Cinema Now application. An account will need to be created with Flixster or Cinema Now and linked with your UltraViolet account. You should see your UltraViolet titles in your Flixster or Cinema Now collection. Once you are able to see your UltraViolet titles in your Flixster or Cinema Now collection, you will need to install the Flixster or Cinema Now application onto your device. This application will allow you to download your UltraViolet titles onto your device. You must be connected via WIFI or 3G/4G to download/stream. If you have any questions or concerns while creating your account or streaming and downloading your UltraViolet titles with the application on your device, please contact the below Support Teams at:

Flixster Support
http://support.ultraviolet.flixster.com

Cinema Now Support
1-877-793-7485 (6AM until midnight PT)
http://ressupport.rovicorp.com/support/cinemanow/support.jsp
You can stream and download as long as your device meets these requirements:
Connected (WiFi or 3G) devices (iOS4+, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS+, iPad 1/2) Connected PC, Windows XP, Windows 7, latest versions of Firefox, IE, Chrome, SafariConnected Mac, OS 10.4+, Intel-based only, latest versions of Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Sony’s Ultraviolet titles include a digital version of the movie to stream or download on to your PC or laptop. The Ultraviolet offer is a bonus for purchasing select Bluray and DVD titles. While this title is available as a separate purchase through iTunes, we currently do not have iTunes codes to distribute as a part of the Ultraviolet offer. Please note the system requirements for information to assist you in viewing your Ultraviolet movie.

Regards,
Michael Pheasant

SPHE Consumer Affairs
800-860-2878"

KOZO

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
Ban Ultraviolet Purchases

I started a facebook page so we can all show our support!!

"Ban Ultraviolet Purchases"

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Using the OP steps, I submitted a ticket to Flickster and got the basic response:

"iTunes codes are not available from us for this particular offer, but we want to make sure you know that you can stream and download your UltraViolet™ movies and TV shows to compatible Apple devices including iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch."

This was for the Blu-ray for Argo.

The goal is to watch it via Apple TV and on my PS3. While I know there is a VUDU app for the PS3, and there is an AirPlay workaround for Apple TV, this doesn't solve the real issue.

I really don't want to sign up for a Flickster account just for this movie. I don't have any other titles that are UV. Every thing else I get has a digital copy (like Django Unchained, which worked flawlessly)

Guess some titles they do send iTunes codes and others they send physical discs for the digital copy.. and others like Argo, there are not other options other than UV.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I prefer iTunes too (because the ecosystem is much more mature), but most of the big studios seem to be moving to UV for digital copies. But I found that you can usually redeem the codes directly at Vudu, even if the leaflets included with the discs will usually try to send you to a site affiliated with the studio (e.g. Flixster belongs to Warner). At least so far I was able to avoid creating any other accounts besides Vudu. Their iPad app works reasonably well and Vudu runs on many other devices like BD players, Roku, the Playstation etc.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
It depends on the studio making the movie. Some will give you an iTunes code, some won't. Don't ask me who's who, because I don't remember now. I've had both responses, and I finally just gave up on UV altogether. Now I only buy Blu-Rays that include an iTunes copy.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
what's wrong with UV?
i like itunes but UV is nice too. lots of stores always having sales where you can buy cheaper than itunes. the other day i bought 4 movies for $22

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
what's wrong with UV?
i like itunes but UV is nice too. lots of stores always having sales where you can buy cheaper than itunes. the other day i bought 4 movies for $22

For me, it's yet another app/site/location for movies. I would prefer one place (iTunes) which also allows me to watch via Apple TV (without the AirPlay workaround)

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
what's wrong with UV?

One word: Travelling.

If my kids are in the back of the car on a long trip, a UV copy is pointless. If I'm on an airplane, a UV copy is pointless. If I'm at home, I have my blu-ray player to watch the movies in better quality so...a UV copy is pointless.

To me, the whole purpose of a Digital Copy is portability - ESPECIALLY when an internet connection is not available.

With an iTunes copy, I can have it on my laptop, or iPad, or iPhone, or whatever. I can watch it when and where I want without an internet connection. Streaming UV copies are pointless.

I hate UV.

UV is pointless.

(...for me. YMMV).

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
If my kids are in the back of the car on a long trip, a UV copy is pointless. If I'm on an airplane, a UV copy is pointless. If I'm at home, I have my blu-ray player to watch the movies in better quality so...a UV copy is pointless.

To me, the whole purpose of a Digital Copy is portability - ESPECIALLY when an internet connection is not available.

Vudu's iPad app lets you download and watch UV movies offline. It's not really a whole lot different than syncing iTunes movies to your device before a trip.

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Vudu's iPad app lets you download and watch UV movies offline. It's not really a whole lot different than syncing iTunes movies to your device before a trip.

Well, that does sound like they're making improvements, but for me it's too late. I don't want yet another app to deal with and a completely different library to sync with. I've already settled on iTunes stuff and it's nice keeping it all in one place.

I'm glad it works for others, but the whole UV thing left a really bad impression on me when I first tried it. It was a big hassle to even get the movies registered. I had to sign up at three different sites before I could ever get to that first movie. Subsequent attempts haven't been much better.

I wish the studios would give consumers the option on every movie they sell of either iTunes or UV. That way, people with large iTunes libraries can continue to use one program, and the anti-apple people have their option too.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It's definitely rounded into something that's pretty useful. The best part to me is that the UV redemption is almost exclusively HD where iTunes is often SD even using a code from Blu-ray.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
One word: Travelling.

With an iTunes copy, I can have it on my laptop, or iPad, or iPhone, or whatever. I can watch it when and where I want without an internet connection. Streaming UV copies are pointless.

I hate UV.

UV is pointless.

(...for me. YMMV).

easier with itunes, but you can download VUDU to watch offline

what i like about UV is a lot of times they have sales on classic movies i might want to own for the price of a rental. or any movie i might watch sometimes for the price of a rental. and no clutter of having a lot of blu rays i rarely watch

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
easier with itunes, but you can download VUDU to watch offline
Yes, what UV is missing is an iTunes equivalent. I primarily use digital copies on my iPad while traveling. The best way to pass a 12-hour flight is to binge-watch half a season of a good TV show. ;) With iTunes I just quickly sync the episodes from my computer to the iPad, and it also keeps track for me which ones I have watched. With UV it is not possible to download copies and then move them from device to device; downloading directly to the iPad takes a long time.
what i like about UV is a lot of times they have sales on classic movies i might want to own for the price of a rental. or any movie i might watch sometimes for the price of a rental. and no clutter of having a lot of blu rays i rarely watch
Where are you seeing these sales?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, what UV is missing is an iTunes equivalent. I primarily use digital copies on my iPad while traveling. The best way to pass a 12-hour flight is to binge-watch half a season of a good TV show. ;) With iTunes I just quickly sync the episodes from my computer to the iPad, and it also keeps track for me which ones I have watched. With UV it is not possible to download copies and then move them from device to device; downloading directly to the iPad takes a long time.
Where are you seeing these sales?

sign up for the newsletters for target ticket, vudu, cinema now and all the others. doesn't matter who you buy from since they will be watchable on any UV service.

right now cinemanow is having kids animation sale. $7.95 for despicable me. last week i bought moneyball, kingdom of heaven, fight club and reservoir dogs for $22 from target ticket. all HD versions and i watched them through Vudu which gives me HDX versions of them. I think vudu is also having a sale with some movies as low as $3.95 for HDX versions

a lot of these you even get free movies when you sign up. i think have almost 40 movies in my UV collection, most of which i got for free.

itunes is my favorite, but the movies are too expensive. especially the older ones. and no way to catch a sale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.