Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I tried iOS 6.01, and wished I hadn't. I don't utilize Bluetooth, but for everything I do, iOS 6.1 has worked quite well.
Lately, I've had an infrequent/intermittent problem with delayed printing of characters when I'm typing at a natural clip. I could be a number of things, I just don't know which. Has anyone else experienced this?

I did on an old ipod running 4.2.1. Didn't go away but wasn't too big of a problem for me.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I'm still on iOS 4.3.5. Some of them tasks are laggy, so I don't want to make things worse with newer iOS version.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
I use my iPod for a lot of games and hardcore stuff like that.

iOS 6 really sucks on the 4th gen. It uses up pretty much all the ram leaving none for apps. Everything is super laggy.

I downgraded mine back to 5.1.1, and the performance is amazing.

----------

I'm still on iOS 4.3.5. Some of them tasks are laggy, so I don't want to make things worse with newer iOS version.

I'm really jealous, I wish I had stayed on iOS 4.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere

iOS 6 really sucks on the 4th gen. It uses up pretty much all the ram leaving none for apps. Everything is super laggy.

----------

Really? I just attempted to manually restore iOS 5.1.1 but iTunes 11.0.2 gave me an 'This device isn't eligible for requested build.' error. Right now I have Spotify for iOS 4 app on it and my car head-unit won't recognize the downloaded tracks. The regular Spotify app doesn't have such problem.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012

----------

I'm still on iOS 5.1.1 and am thinking of upgrading to iOS 6.1.2 firmware. The main reason being that Safari crashes way too much. My touch came with 5.1 and I don't remember it crashing once. The problem is when Safari crashes, all my background apps have to start over.

I wish I had saved my iOS 5.1 shsh blobs but thought upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 would be fine (did it OTA).

I went to Apple Store few days ago and 4g touch had 6.1.2 software and Safari did not crash on sites it would always crash after zooming in:

-Google News Desktop version

-Apple iPhone 5 homepage

Could you try and see it these sites crash?

I also had my touch with me and it crashed at Apple Store to make sure it wasn't my wireless. 6.1.2 seemed fine besides music app taking 5+ seconds to load at first attempt plus these issues:

-New App Store/iTunes layout which I hate

-Removal of Youtube app, I liked this app since it was simple with no adds

-New music layout which I hate because everything is white

-Apple Maps, enough said about that

Also curious about this:

If interested in the free ram usage on my iPod touch 4g:
iOS 6.0: 80mb

iOS 5.1.1: 140mb
IOS 4.3.2: 137 mb
(Took along time to downgrade and restore back up to iOS 6)
I got the average ram after a respring and after clearing the memory 3 times but iOS 6 couldn't free the memory so average couldn't get a little boost like other iOS versions. I got the free ram numbers from sbsettings and sbsettings is not fully compatible with iOS 6 so that might of been a factor.

I defiantly noticed the lack of ram in apps. It's the first iOS version where stock apps crashed on me. Settings and the app store crashed 5 minutes in. (I always restore when I upgrade so that is not the problem)
I hope I gave you some insight what is going on with iOS 6.
I might update you guys later with better results when sbsettings is compatible with iOS 6.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
I'm still on iOS 5.1.1 and am thinking of upgrading to iOS 6.1.2 firmware. The main reason being that Safari crashes way too much. My touch came with 5.1 and I don't remember it crashing once. The problem is when Safari crashes, all my background apps have to start over.

I wish I had saved my iOS 5.1 shsh blobs but thought upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 would be fine (did it OTA).

I went to Apple Store few days ago and 4g touch had 6.1.2 software and Safari did not crash on sites it would always crash after zooming in:

-Google News Desktop version

-Apple iPhone 5 homepage

Could you try and see it these sites crash?

I also had my touch with me and it crashed at Apple Store to make sure it wasn't my wireless. 6.1.2 seemed fine besides music app taking 5+ seconds to load at first attempt plus these issues:

-New App Store/iTunes layout which I hate

-Removal of Youtube app, I liked this app since it was simple with no adds

-New music layout which I hate because everything is white

-Apple Maps, enough said about that

Also curious about this:

Sorry for being slow to respond.
I tried apple.com and google news, both of them were fine until I zoomed in, then it crashed. I tried the same sites in chrome, and it crashed as well, although not quite as quickly. (I'm still on 5.1.1 btw)
iOS 6 definately did bring improvements to safari, such as fullscreen. If you're a big safari user, I'd say go for iOS 6. Otherwise, stay on 5 cause it's a lot better in other areas.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry for being slow to respond.
I tried apple.com and google news, both of them were fine until I zoomed in, then it crashed. I tried the same sites in chrome, and it crashed as well, although not quite as quickly. (I'm still on 5.1.1 btw)
iOS 6 definately did bring improvements to safari, such as fullscreen. If you're a big safari user, I'd say go for iOS 6. Otherwise, stay on 5 cause it's a lot better in other areas.

Hey thanks for the comment. What iOS 6 version were you on? If 6.1.2 could you post the free RAM available?

Also I'm pretty sure iOS 5.1 will not crash Safari so if you have shsh blobs saved, downgrade to that. Also general speed improvements compared to 5.1.1 firmware. For iOS 5, the beat firmware on touch 4g is iOS 5.1.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Hey thanks for the comment. What iOS 6 version were you on? If 6.1.2 could you post the free RAM available?

Also I'm pretty sure iOS 5.1 will not crash Safari so if you have shsh blobs saved, downgrade to that. Also general speed improvements compared to 5.1.1 firmware. For iOS 5, the beat firmware on touch 4g is iOS 5.1.

I just bought a refurb'd 64gb touch and it has 5.1... I'm debating updating too. I only really use the video and music player so I don't think I really need all that Free RAM. I also own an iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini.

The Touch is primarily my media storage device for use on the Elliptical at the gym. They have built in TVs on each machine that can play back iPod Touch videos.

Should I upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.