Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I'm curious, I hear about alot of people getting applecare replacements. Are there actually that many problems or do Apple give out replacements for pretty much anything?

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
If you have AppleCare+ you can just hit it with a baseball bat and bring it in. It will cost you $50, but you'll get a brand new (refurbished) iPad.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
You serious?

Yes. But only if you have AppleCare+. Not just regular AppleCare. It has to be the Plus version.

Probably not a baseball bat, that would be hard to explain. But you can run it over with your car and tell them that you accidentally ran it over with your car. That's what I'm going to do if I ever get a scratch on it.

And before anyone goes all crazy about this, I'm paying for this service so I don't have any qualms about it.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Yes. But only if you have AppleCare+. Not just regular AppleCare. It has to be the Plus version.

Probably not a baseball bat, that would be hard to explain. But you can run it over with your car and tell them that you accidentally ran it over with your car. That's what I'm going to do if I ever get a scratch on it.

And before anyone goes all crazy about this, I'm paying for this service so I don't have any qualms about it.
Surely you could just take it to them, say it has a scratch and demand a new one if you're paying for a service that covers cosmetic damage. You wouldn't need to run it over.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Surely you could just take it to them, say it has a scratch and demand a new one if you're paying for a service that covers cosmetic damage. You wouldn't need to run it over.

I'm sure there is a damage threshold. If it's got a couple of very fine scratches, I doubt they would go through the trouble.

The coverage basically covers repairs or up to 2 exchanges if the damage is too extensive to repair.

I am so anal retentive about a perfect screen, though, that if it got gashed I'd just run it over. The store rep literally told me "If you accidentally run it over, drop it out of a window, drop it in the bathtub, etc., we will repair it or replace it."

Why not just go all the way if you're going to go at all?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I'm sure there is a damage threshold. If it's got a couple of very fine scratches, I doubt they would go through the trouble.

The coverage basically covers repairs or up to 2 exchanges if the damage is too extensive to repair.

I am so anal retentive about a perfect screen, though, that if it got gashed I'd just run it over. The store rep literally told me "If you accidentally run it over, drop it out of a window, drop it in the bathtub, etc., we will repair it or replace it."

Why not just go all the way if you're going to go at all?

Technically, that's insurance fraud. You pay for home/car insurance too. But if you purposely crash your car if you scratch it so that you can get a new one, that would be fraud.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Technically, that's insurance fraud. You pay for home/car insurance too. But if you purposely crash your car if you scratch it so that you can get a new one, that would be fraud.

you're right. I've changed my mind.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013

Imagine if car insurance covered small scratches.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
This is what AppleCare+ is for. It is to replace a broken product. It is not fraud if you break it by being "careless". The service is specifically to replace/repair if broken.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
This is what AppleCare+ is for. It is to replace a broken product. It is not fraud if you break it by being "careless". The service is specifically to replace/repair if broken.

But how would you prove you broke it by being "careless"? How often does someone accidentally run over their ipad?

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
But how would you prove you broke it by being "careless"? How often does someone accidentally run over their ipad?

Running over it was just an outlandish example. People run and drop their iPads on concrete, drop it while walking up stairs and watch it tumble all the way down, hold it out the car window and accidentally drop it during a sharp turn, etc.

One can also be "careless" by "not caring" and place it on your driveway about 3 feet directly behind your left rear tire, get in your car, turn it on, put it in reverse, and back up over it as you hear a satisfying crunch.

Only after having backed up and restored your phone to factory settings, of course.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I have never bought AppleCare+ but have definitly taken full use of 1 year warranty offered on the products.

Changed out the following at genius bar:

iPhone 3G (cracked plastic, and headphone jack stopped working)
iPod Nano 5th gen (AUX playback fuzzy, confirmed it was iPod)
iPad 3rd gen (two times, once for line of dead pixels, once for light bleed)
iPhone 5 (battery issues, was offered so I took new phone, still had issue)

I figure as long as I get the kinks out in the first year, I can live with the device and just replace it if I'm careless with it after the first year. AppleCare+ just seems too costly for these products.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Except that you aren't. the Warranty and 'vanilla' Apple Care covers defects. Cosmetic damage isn't a defect. it's just a fact of use.

The best you will get is that light cosmetic damage from normal use wouldn't void coverage if you have a legit defect.

----------

But they are talking about breaking it on purpose. That would be fraud.

It's like the stories of folks trying to unlock their iphones themselves and bricking the phone. Can't get it working again and they know they just voided their warranty so to cover it up they pop the phone in the microwave for a couple of seconds to blow the dock connector or a similar trick so the phone will run down and not turn on and then go play innocent to try to get a swap. They like to aim for really busy times of day and/or small stores so the tech is less likely to really examine the phone before swapping it

----------

One can also be "careless" by "not caring" and place it on your driveway about 3 feet directly behind your left rear tire, get in your car, turn it on, put it in reverse, and back up over it as you hear a satisfying crunch.

something tells me that your car would do more than enough damage for them to call it malicious and (I think the phrase they use is ) beyond economic repair and deny you even paid coverage. Certainly not the $49 fee

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
something tells me that your car would do more than enough damage for them to call it malicious and (I think the phrase they use is ) beyond economic repair and deny you even paid coverage. Certainly not the $49 fee

Yeah, you're right. I should probably stick to the baseball bat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.