Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
I have a 64 GB Verizon 3rd gen and I was wondering if they've been known to swap it out for a 4th gen?

Just wondering... not that I really want one.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
What is with the sense of entitlement some seem to have around here? People expect Apple to just upgrade users to the latest version for free?

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
What is with the sense of entitlement some seem to have around here? People expect Apple to just upgrade users to the latest version for free?

I think it would be refreshing to zip it with the holier than thou "entitlement" rant that's been rehashed to a point of exhaustion by many, many, many users on this forum. Be your own person. Hell, even use a synonym.

Did I say anything about wanting one? No. I was just wondering. Do I feel "entitled" to one? No.
Did I say, "I should get one because apple HAS to?" Absolutely not. Are you overreacting? Probably.

I was wondering what they do, so if I get mine replaced, I'll know if I need to have an extra charger or not. Is that what you wanted to know so that you can sleep better at night knowing that Apple, a multi-billion dollar business, will save $600 (and probably not even close to that)?

And it actually has happened, believe it or not, judging from the many posts on this forum.

I'm not just singling you out, it's a ton of people on here who are so quick to attack about a sense of "entitlement" when it's unwarranted.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
I also got a 4th gen after swapping a 3rd gen. They didn't have any 3rd gen in stock so i gave my 3rd gen and 30 pin cable and they gave me a 4th gen with a lightning cable. They will only do this if there is no 3rd gen of your particular model in stock. Mine was Verizon 64GB white.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Verizon 64 white is a more obscure / less popular SKU I'd imagine.

16 wifi-ers I'd say no wayyyyy

Still, that's awesome and I'm happy for ya (if you we're eyeing the ipad 4 all along)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 64 GB Verizon 3rd gen and I was wondering if they've been known to swap it out for a 4th gen?

Just wondering... not that I really want one.

In general no. Your warranty is like for like. Even when you pay for 'warranty' repairs its still like for like

On a rare occasion when they are low in parts they will allow managers to make the call to upgrade you for that repair rather than make you wait for a replacement of the correct item. But if you bring that item in later you could be reverted back to the original model

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Judging by the OP's response to IEvolution on entitlement - yep the OP is feeling entitled and is checking around to see if in fact 4s are given as replacements for 3s. OPs wording is clear.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
Judging by the OP's response to IEvolution on entitlement - yep the OP is feeling entitled and is checking around to see if in fact 4s are given as replacements for 3s. OPs wording is clear.

Even if I did feel entitled, it's nothing for you to worry about and I wouldn't learn a lesson from the response you just gave.

Do you have anything more constructive to do than sit around an Internet forum trying to judge whether or not someone feels "entitled" or not?

I'm also surprised that you're able to judge how I feel over plain text. That's a wonder. Where's there an opening for a job as an Internet psychologist? Because a bunch of people on MacRumors certainly can fill that position and monetize their time.

By the way, if I ever wanted an iPad 4, my 3rd gen would be sold, shipped, and the money would be in my hand getting ready to purchase the 4th.

Last edited:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I think it would be refreshing to zip it with the holier than thou "entitlement" rant that's been rehashed to a point of exhaustion by many, many, many users on this forum. Be your own person. Hell, even use a synonym.

Did I say anything about wanting one? No. I was just wondering. Do I feel "entitled" to one? No.
Did I say, "I should get one because apple HAS to?" Absolutely not. Are you overreacting? Probably.

I was wondering what they do, so if I get mine replaced, I'll know if I need to have an extra charger or not. Is that what you wanted to know so that you can sleep better at night knowing that Apple, a multi-billion dollar business, will save $600 (and probably not even close to that)?

And it actually has happened, believe it or not, judging from the many posts on this forum.

I'm not just singling you out, it's a ton of people on here who are so quick to attack about a sense of "entitlement" when it's unwarranted.

I'm sure if they swapped every ipad 3 for an ipad 4, they'd lose alot more than 600$.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
I'm sure if they swapped every ipad 3 for an ipad 4, they'd lose alot more than 600$.

How so?
Generally it costs $350 to make an iPad. Add all the extra internals that I paid for and the Apple Care that I paid for, will maybe come up to $550.
I paid over $1000 altogether for this iPad.

And if they were to give me a 4th gen, the only thing different is the processor. Which I'm sure doesn't cost more than $100.

And who mentioned EVERY iPad 3?

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Well I just had to shell out money to upgrade to iPad 4. If you get a free upgrade to the 4 I'm going to file a complaint with my state representative.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
How so?
Generally it costs $350 to make an iPad. Add all the extra internals that I paid for and the Apple Care that I paid for, will maybe come up to $550.
I paid over $1000 altogether for this iPad.

And if they were to give me a 4th gen, the only thing different is the processor. Which I'm sure doesn't cost more than $100.

And who mentioned EVERY iPad 3?

If they swap one persons ipad 3 for an ipad 4, it won't stop there. More people will demand an ipad 4 for their ipad 3.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
If they swap one persons ipad 3 for an ipad 4, it won't stop there. More people will demand an ipad 4 for their ipad 3.

They already have done that because of stock issues. And I hope most people understand that they don't deserve an iPad 4, as they bought a 3rd gen.

----------

Well I just had to shell out money to upgrade to iPad 4. If you get a free upgrade to the 4 I'm going to file a complaint with my state representative.
That doesn't sound right.
Explain the situation.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
That doesn't sound right.
Explain the situation.

What doesn't sound right? Most people have to spend money to upgrade to the latest device. I returned the iPad mini within the 14 day period after I bought it, and paid the $180 difference to upgrade to the iPad 4.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I believe there was a point where some Apple Stores in the US were swapping 3rd gens for 4th gens as long as you purchased it within 30 days.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
What doesn't sound right? Most people have to spend money to upgrade to the latest device. I returned the iPad mini within the 14 day period after I bought it, and paid the $180 difference to upgrade to the iPad 4.

That's a completely different (and fair) situation.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
they have massive stockpiles of iPad 3's - don't worry, you will never get an iPad 4 instead of an iPad 3 replacement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.