Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Well the Apple TV 3 sells for $99 while the Apple TV 2 sells for about $175-200

If he's jailbreaking them it's a good deal for him. He might be just turning the Apple TV 2's over for resale.

He'd still make money.

xiesanshao

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
I try to get an Apple TV 2 that way, never worked for my, people just bided on the list and never want to trade their valuable Apple TV 2.

jlluna

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Holly Michigan
I have 3 Apple TV,s. 2 of them are the apple tv2nd and the third one is an apple tv3rd gen.I never use my Apple TV 3, because both of my apple tv2nd gen are jailbroken and use it them to streem other content files. Apple tv2nd gen sells for allot more than the 3rd gen on Ebay because they could be jailbroken.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I know someone who does the Apple TV upgrade exchange. He has a small electronics store in Lawrenceville, GA. It works for him because he always has a dozen Apple TV 2's for sale (jailbroken).

Myself, I've got two Apple TV's ... One is a 160 GB Apple TV 1 and the other an Apple TV 2. Both Jailbroken.

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
I've jailbroken my AppleTV2 in the past, but found it to be more hassle than it's worth. When new features launched in the past I've had to go without until the jailbreak community comes up with their own version of the features, or a way to jailbreak the newer update.

Also, with Airplay mirroring on newer macs (and apps like AirParrot for older systems), i can stream any video I want to my TV anyway. So really I don't understand what all the fuss is about jailbreaking?

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
OP it depends on your use, if you mainly want netflix and to stream you itunes library then might as well, if you will benefit from breaking your ATV2 and will use the advantages it offers, then i wouldnt.

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2011
I sold my Apple TV 2 on eBay for 180, so I could get 2 Apple TV 3.... Needed 1 in my living room and 1 in my bedroom, it all worked out very nicely

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I've jailbroken my AppleTV2 in the past, but found it to be more hassle than it's worth. When new features launched in the past I've had to go without until the jailbreak community comes up with their own version of the features, or a way to jailbreak the newer update.

Also, with Airplay mirroring on newer macs (and apps like AirParrot for older systems), i can stream any video I want to my TV anyway. So really I don't understand what all the fuss is about jailbreaking?

Jailbreaking has become about as easy as it's every been. Nowadays you don't even have to use the command line.
1. Jailbreak with SeasonPass (completely GUI-based)
2. Use the free "Nito Installer" application on your mac to install Nito, XBMC, and Bluecop's plugins (for Hulu, Amazon Instant Streaming, Free Cable, ESPN3). Installing these takes one click. Literally.

Check here for updated instructions:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1305573/

As far as waiting for the next jailbreak: yes that is a tradeoff. But I've had jailbroken Apple TV2's for about two years now, and generally the "new feature" that Apple adds is never so revolutionary that I mind waiting a few months for the jailbreak to be updated.

So, for me the only "hassle" is updating / re-jailbreaking roughly once a year. But it generally takes less than one hour to jailbreak and deal with any bugs or unexpected issues, and less than 20 minutes once you've got the procedure down.

If you don't see the big fuss about jail breaking, then I'd advize you to sell your Apple TV 2 on ebay. Unjailbroken, you can probably get at least $200 for it. If you jailbreak it and install some XBMC plugins (via the procedure I linked above), you can probably get $300 for it. Use the proceeds to buy a refurbished Apple TV 3 (for $85 plus shipping) from Apple.com, and pocket the remaining $215.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Is this guy legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111031276982

I'm assuming he's jailbreaking the units or something so he wants the older hardware, but I still don't see how this is a good deal for him?

Are you kidding me? He is ripping people off!

Price of Apple tv 3: 110 + 25$ gift card = approximately 150$

He jailbreaks with a simple procedure and voila he can now sell that Apple tv 2 for 250$.

I had an ATV2 and sold it for a new ATV3 + 100$

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I just sold my second Apple TV second gen. This one went for a lot more!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 484

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Sold my ATV 2 last week for $242 and will buy 2x ATV 3 with that money. I don't need the jailbreak. I did it just to sell, took maybe 3 minutes.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Sold my ATV 2 last week for $242 and will buy 2x ATV 3 with that money. I don't need the jailbreak. I did it just to sell, took maybe 3 minutes.

I'm going to Apple store later today and get myself an Apple TV 3. Sold my 2 second gen's for a total of 402.50. Not too shabby.

Amazing you got $242 for yours. Why are they worth so much? and how much can they sell them for once jailbroken?

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I'm going to Apple store later today and get myself an Apple TV 3. Sold my 2 second gen's for a total of 402.50. Not too shabby.

Amazing you got $242 for yours. Why are they worth so much? and how much can they sell them for once jailbroken?

They are worth so much because they can be jailbroken. The ATV3's cannot.

I'd estimate you should reasonably expect to make an extra ~$50-75 per unit if you jailbreak before selling.

Here's why I think that:

Go to ebay, type "Apple TV 2" in the search, click on "sold listings" to see what the items actually sold for. Here's a link that does that for you:
http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from...H_Sold=1&rt=nc

-non-jailbroken Apple TV 2's are going for as little as $130 and as much as $230, with the median probably somewhere around $200.
-jailbroken Apple TV 2's are going for between $200 and $320, with the median looking to be about $250.

If you do the above search with "Apple TV 2 jailbroken" and look only at the sold listings: http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from...H_Sold=1&rt=nc

-items advertised in the title as just being "jailbroken" typically sell for between $200 and ~$260. Whereas items that include words in the title like "fully loaded", or "XBMC", "Navi-X", "Adult Content", etc. tend to go for between $250 and $320.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA

I jailbroke mine before selling. I never used it JB but I did use Seas0nPass to JB, then easily loaded nitoTV and XBMC on it, put it up for sale the next day. Very easy process, the tutorials were from iClarified website. It was an auction style listing but had a buy it now for $250. Ended up selling for almost as much. I included a free hdmi cord too.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Mine TV 2 has 5.2.1
Can I still jailbreak it?

I think only up to 5.2 can, at the moment. The ATV2 hardware is jailbreakable so unless Apple patched whatever exploit they were using (and I think it was hardware based so not patchable) then it will be possible, soon. With previous software updates a new JB came out a few days later for each. Your update is just from this week so if doable expect to see a way soon but if Apple patched it well this time, maybe you're out of luck for having updated it.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
They are holding back the ATV3 JB until they can milk as much out of the ATV2-JB'd aftermarket as they can.

Not everyone can work for Wall Street!

pMad

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Alright.
I have two of them.
One at 5.2.1
One at 5.2

You tell me the 5.2.1 won't work, but when I do the 5.2, after the script runs, I get this:
Screenshot2013-03-20at35912PM_zpsa5f24c6a.png

Suggestions?

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Alright.
I have two of them.
One at 5.2.1
One at 5.2

You tell me the 5.2.1 won't work, but when I do the 5.2, after the script runs, I get this:

Suggestions?

Apple likely stopped signing the old version... If you don't have your blobs saved might not be possible anymore :(

pMad

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Apple likely stopped signing the old version... If you don't have your blobs saved might not be possible anymore :(

You've been very helpful.
Do you mind posting here when jailbreak is updated to handle 5.2.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.