Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Just went to the Apple home page and saw the new iPhone tagline.

Um, who is writing these things?

It doesnt matter what is going on in the landscape, official Apple advertising should always have an assumed superiority and indifference to any presumed competition.

This new slogan "Thats why so many people do"

No really? Why are you telling us that obvious fact.

Stick to being abstract and God-like otherwise it will take away from the image which is generating all those sales in the first place.

Another mis-step in the post-J era.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
No I just think they need to remember the core elements in regards to the sales elegance of the tactics that were pioneered. I hope they understand the fundamental reasons why it worked.

This slogan felt like, they lost sight of the basics a bit and it felt forced/awkward.

If anyone should understand why and how what SJ did worked, it should be the people at Apple.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
If you've got such a handle on Apples marketing why not apply to work within that department.

Sit at home analysts !

:rolleyes:

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
No I just think they need to remember the core elements in regards to the sales elegance of the tactics that were pioneered. I hope they understand the fundamental reasons why it worked.

This slogan felt like, they lost sight of the basics a bit and it felt forced/awkward.

If anyone should understand why and how what SJ did worked, it should be the people at Apple.

You're over thinking it. Apple is being run by a different person so it will be different to when SJ ran it, and thats not a bad thing.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

1) Forget Jobs...get over it.
2) The following slogans at time felt forced.
3) So you don't feel the love for he new slogan. Is it because you are an iPhone fan with an Apple inferiority complex, or an iPhone hater mocking the implied popularity of the iPhone.
4) Perhaps an "I'm an iPhone, and I'm a Android" campaign?

"It just works."
"The computer for the rest of us."
And the grammatically questionable "Think different"

These are just iPhone slogans:

"The internet in your pocket."
"Touching is believing"
"iPhone Apple reinvents the phone."
"Say Hello to iPhone"
"Talk about big. iPhone now in 16GB. More music. More video. More iPhone."
"The iPhone you've been waiting for."
"The first phone to beat the iPhone."
"Twice as fast, for half the price"
"The most advanced mobile OS. Now even more advanced."
"25,000 apps. And counting."
"The fastest, most powerful iPhone yet."
"More to love, less to pay"
"This changes everything. Again."
"There's an app for that. That's the iPhone. Solving life's dilemma one app at a time."
"If you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone"
"The world's thinnest smartphone."
"Finally."
"It's the most amazing iPhone yet."
"The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone"
"Loving it is easy. That's why so many people do."

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
These are just iPhone slogans:

"The internet in your pocket."
"Touching is believing"
"iPhone Apple reinvents the phone."
"Say Hello to iPhone"
"Talk about big. iPhone now in 16GB. More music. More video. More iPhone."
"The iPhone you've been waiting for."
"The first phone to beat the iPhone."
"Twice as fast, for half the price"
"The most advanced mobile OS. Now even more advanced."
"25,000 apps. And counting."
"The fastest, most powerful iPhone yet."
"More to love, less to pay"
"This changes everything. Again."
"There's an app for that. That's the iPhone. Solving life's dilemma one app at a time."
"If you don't have an iPhone, well, you don't have an iPhone"
"The world's thinnest smartphone."
"Finally."
"It's the most amazing iPhone yet."
"The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone"

^^^ All of these are in-sync though! Some are even God-like, like, "Finally". Imagine an Apple rep pulling out your phone from the back and handing it to you: "Finally." (smiles) lol. Or "touching is believing." Or the mono-theistic self absorbed "The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone."

The one right now is not like the others. Theres no wry layer of salesmanship or presentation.

Its not a closer.

If you read through those above youll realize they are all things that are very confident and one line summaries you can say at the end of a sales pitch.

Witht the new odd-man-out slogan, theres something generic and desperate. Its such a flat unnecessary statement: "Loving it is easy. That's why so many people do." -It lacks confidence, its redundant in a lame way, its uninspired, its not a true closing statement, more like an opener because as a closing statement you dont do anything but "assume the sale" rather than make a misguided plea. It comes off also like its about competing with a competitor by numbers, not quality. Who cares what "so many people" are doing? Its supposed to be what the assumed "best" product is and what the "best" people are choosing. Not the most. Theres a subtle difference.

The implications of it are not in the spirit of those previous closers.

ABC = Always Be Closing.

The new statement isnt closing you anymore, its trying to convince you. Its selling itself short with its' overall paradigm choice.

----------

People forget the "if you don't have an iPhone" ads that were pretty much a jab at all their Android competitors.

"If you dont have an iPhone, well, you dont have an iPhone."

Thats a very subtly clever grammatical redundancy in a good way. Like as implying the iPhone is the end all be all and no competition exists. Its ironic simplicity implies a confidence that the new one lacks.

Imagine youre an Apple rep giving a small presentation to a customer. You say a bunch of facts and then to sum it all up as a closing statement you drop it like youve run out of ways to describe it: "If you dont have an iPhone, well, you dont have an iPhone..." HHAHAHAHAHAHA. Everyone lets out a big laugh.

While if your closing statement is,

"Loving it is easy. That's why so many people do..." ..............? Um Ok Tim I believe you I guess... :/

Thats not quite a closer, its more like a desperate plea to be believed that everyone likes it.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yup! Apple is doomed. Better sell the stock.

They're not innovating or "bringing it."

Samsung is totally eating their lunch.

Now that SJ is dead they've completely lost their mojo.

Have I forgotten any other mantras? Good. So what did that accomplish?

Oh right. Absolutely nothing. iPhones are still selling like hotcakes. Tim Cook is still the CEO. And Apple still has billions in the bank.

Guess we should keep repeating the same things over and over until something changes!

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I don't see what's wrong with it. :confused:

Apple's iPhone marketing tends to focus on the iPhone and often (to some) exaggerates the feature set.

You can't say Apple doesn't have a god complex!

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I don't see what's wrong with it. :confused:

Apple's iPhone marketing tends to focus on the iPhone and often (to some) exaggerates the feature set.

You can't say Apple doesn't have a god complex!

Well because the scope of it is all wrong. Its saying something that doesn't/shouldnt need to be said. Its like, OK I thought we already established that "so many people do," -that Apple is a popular company essentially.

Why are you telling me this? Was it in doubt? Because I didnt think it was-but since you feel the need to mention it, now I subliminally think it might be in doubt because you acted like you needed to tell me that. Something I assumed had already been established.

With statements like "Finally" its like we are allready both in a comfortable state of knowing, this stuff is amazing. You know its amazing, I know its amazing. We are giddy with excitement supposedly already. In this state what do we talk about now? What are the things we say in a situation like this?

ahhhhhh.... "Finnally." Here you go. What a relief of joy.

"Say Hello to iPhone" (hands the phone over) You see? Its already happening.

We dont want to take a step backwards from this state of assumed close by even doubting the close. We are already in a ready to buy state supposedly.

I dont want to be re-assured about loving it because I thought we both already agreed that I do.

The very idea of trying to establish that shakes the foundations of a strong closer. One that provides the appropriate level of implied satisfaction.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Methinks the OP needs to learn just a little about marketing!

He seems to forget that marketing slogans are aimed at the uninitiated and not, as he is inferring, at the initiated.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Well because the scope of it is all wrong. Its saying something that doesn't/shouldnt need to be said. Its like, OK I thought we already established that "so many people do," -that Apple is a popular company essentially.

Why are you telling me this? Was it in doubt? Because I didnt think it was-but since you feel the need to mention it, now I subliminally think it might be in doubt because you acted like you needed to tell me that. Something I assumed had already been established.

With statements like "Finally" its like we are allready both in a comfortable state of knowing, this stuff is amazing. You know its amazing, I know its amazing. We are giddy with excitement supposedly already. In this state what do we talk about now? What are the things we say in a situation like this?

ahhhhhh.... "Finnally." Here you go. What a relief of joy.

"Say Hello to iPhone" (hands the phone over) You see? Its already happening.

We dont want to take a step backwards from this state of assumed close by even doubting the close. We are already in a ready to buy state supposedly.

I dont want to be re-assured about loving it because I thought we both already agreed that I do.

The very idea of trying to establish that shakes the foundations of a strong closer. One that provides the appropriate level of implied satisfaction.

I think you're reading far too much into it.

You could over-analyse any number of slogans:

"Touching is believing" - So you can't tell how good it is just by looking at it?
"Say Hello to iPhone" - Why would I have to say hello to it when I should already know what it is?
"The iPhone you've been waiting for." - So all the others have been rubbish?

People have been saying Apple has made mistakes and they are doomed, and that mistakes will cost them users, and that the competition is going to annihilate them for years. It never happens.

Have they built such a pedestal for themselves that such a tiny little thing makes people think it's going to cost them? It won't. I would question how many people will actually read the slogan. So many people still buy them in store and people who go to the website probably know what they want already. They're not going to be swayed by a slogan. Plus that new slogan isn't on every store yet; it's certainly not on the UK one.

Let it go :p

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Methinks the OP needs to learn just a little about marketing!

He seems to forget that marketing slogans are aimed at the uninitiated and not, as he is inferring, at the initiated.

The assumed close IS aimed at the un-initiated. It builds curiosity and the want to be a part of this exclusive experience. Like the guy from the outside looking in at all the people having fun and having the urge to be a part of it too.

When you reduce it down to even trying to convince them we are having fun in the first place, you reduce this overall implied effect.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Apple Is really insecure when the iPhone five is really a great product and there's no need to feel that way

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The new i5 campaign they just launched on their website is actually a great campaign for them imo

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Apple Is really insecure when the iPhone five is really a great product and there's no need to feel that way

The only insecurity I see is in you and Bobby Corwen, and others who are trying to divine things out of Apple's advertising. Wasn't there just criticism about how Apple isn't doing enough marketing?

I think by trying to read messages that aren't there, you guys are acting more insecure than Apple is.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
The assumed close IS aimed at the un-initiated. It builds curiosity and the want to be a part of this exclusive experience. Like the guy from the outside looking in at all the people having fun and having the urge to be a part of it too.

As the competitors are trying to paint iPhone users are mindless, elitist sheep, and a cheaper iPhone is rumored to be on the horizon, perhaps Apple is trying to soften some of that elitist image.

As smartphones become more similar than dissimilar, your message must be more nuanced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.