Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
guys please what about 13

What about it? The terminal command does not work on the 13". If you mean IR, the Early 2013 version APPEARS to have fixed the problem, as all Apple Store display computers (2013) do not have it after about 10 min. But maybe the image needs to be up for longer.

Last edited:

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
Question for the people who are running the IR tests...do you actually notice it when using the machine?

I might have a Samsung display (Not sure as I can't run the command on the 13") but in using it over the past couple days I haven't noticed anything...I do have the display set to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity though.

I only started noticing it when going over to the widget area. Since it has the gray "Lego" background I can see what is still on my home screen. (I use a bright colorful desktop imagine so I don't notice under my normal activity) the IR goes away in 5 minutes or less

jehartley

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but when I paste this in, it doesn't show anything but my home folder name again. Any ideas? This is for the 27inch iMac late 2012. Is there any other way to find out for these?

lilabila

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Ok, I'm having here a 15" Retina 2014.

Nothing happens for me as well.

Is there anybody with a 2014 15" as well having this problem?

Code:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

asdfgbg

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Germany
Ok, I'm having here a 15" Retina 2014.

Nothing happens for me as well.

Is there anybody with a 2014 15" as well having this problem?

Code:

If you have the iris pro model only it doesn't work

lilabila

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
asdfgbg, ah ok, thank you for the info! Yes, I don't have the dGPU inside.

Therefore there is no way publicly known of of determining that? I'm just curious, the display is perfectly fine, but I really like to have the info just for the sake of it.

fr599

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Boston
can the replacement screen be a LG again?

Hi,

I just got back after talking to a Genius about getting my screen replaced due to image retention. As expected they ran their test on it and it passed. I don't understand how checking for image retention on a black screen, after a whole minute has passed after the test, qualifies as a passed screen?!! Do they think all my spaces have a black background?! Or every time I switch between spaces I wait a whole minute before I continue with my work?! The test was a joke. After a little arm twisting they agreed to replace the screen under AppleCares stating that next time the test would have to fail for the screen to be replaced.

Anyway, my worry is whether they will replace it with another LG unit. Does anyone have experience with their replacements being another LG screen? I believe the Samsung requires a different clamshell? Not sure about this, but if so, would that mean I should expect another LG screen that's gonna most likely fail in the next year or so?!

davidb8

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2013
I have recently got a 2012 rmbp. It turns out that it suffers from screen burn, but I'm too late to return it to the person I bought it off.

What can be done? Can I pay to have the screen swapped? Will Apple store swap it for free? Or should I get rid of it?

The performance is good! It's just the burn I didn't notice at first now it's very obvious. Even after only seconds!

fr599

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Boston
If the laptop is under warranty, they will replace the screen for free if it passes their tests. Even if it doesn't pass their tests, they will replace it if you make a strong case.

If the laptop is not covered under warranty then I am afraid you're out of luck. It will cost you approximately $660 to replace the screen (going by the invoice that I received).

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I have recently got a 2012 rmbp. It turns out that it suffers from screen burn, but I'm too late to return it to the person I bought it off.

What can be done? Can I pay to have the screen swapped? Will Apple store swap it for free? Or should I get rid of it?

The performance is good! It's just the burn I didn't notice at first now it's very obvious. Even after only seconds!

Check warranty status, perhaps guy bought Applecare. If not, suggest try to talk to Apple Genuis to look for options with Apple. You could also look for a third party repair (less $)

JakeD68

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2015
I'm trying to find out if people are happy with their retina display screens and who the manufacturer of the screen is:

So if you can run the following command in terminal it will tell you who the manufacturer is:

Following is an interpretation of the string that is returned telling you who the manufacturer is.
LPXXXX = LG
LSNXXXX = Samsung

Please post the manufacturer and if you are having any problems or are happy with your display.

Thanks

I get an error .....
error: invalid active developer path (/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools), missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun

Nueve

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I have an LG LP154WT1-SJE1 15" mid 2014, mines has screen issues I am also out of warranty by two months :(. White specks appeared out of nowhere, screen has zero damage.

Attachments

• Macbook screen issues.JPG
    Macbook screen issues.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 181
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.