Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John55455

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Title. I was considering the iPhone 5 but the Samsung Galaxy S4 features amazed me. The one downside of course is getting out of the ecosystem.

Obviosly I cant transfer the apps. But how about Apples iTunes copyright protected movies and music? And is there a way to get my contacts, bookmarks, notes, and calender off the iPhone and onto the GS4?

After all Apple computers, iPhones 1-4s, and 2 iPads - I'm trying out Android. Any thing I should know when switching?

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Title. I was considering the iPhone 5 but the Samsung Galaxy S4 features amazed me. The one downside of course is getting out of the ecosystem.

Obviosly I cant transfer the apps. But how about Apples iTunes copyright protected movies and music? And is there a way to get my contacts, bookmarks, notes, and calender off the iPhone and onto the GS4?

After all Apple computers, iPhones 1-4s, and 2 iPads - I'm trying out Android. Any thing I should know when switching?

You can download Google Music to transfer all of your DRM free songs, which are any songs you bought for $1.29. The 99 cent songs will not transfer I don't believe but maybe someone can correct me on that.

As for the contacts and such, I thought I read somewhere that Samsung was releasing some sort of service to transfer all of that stuff.

Depending on how well you catch on to stuff, it can be easy or take some getting use to. It took me about a week to figure everything out but once I got use to it, I could breeze through Android. I haven't used Android in 2 years though, so things might have changed a bit.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
About the music thing: I have had an iPhone with $1.29 and 99 cent songs, and when I switched to Android, all the songs loaded on the phone perfectly, so I can tell you firsthand that is not an issue.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The price of the songs isn't the issue. It's when you bought them. If you bought them before apple went DRM free they probably won't work. As for contacts, notes etc. There's apps that can sync them over. The nice thing about Googles ecosystem is that it's platform agnostic. So you calendars, contacts etc. will show up on all of your devices, iOS and Android and not just android.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
What exactly does the galaxy s4 have that you can't do with an iPhone?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
And is there a way to get my contacts, bookmarks, notes, and calender off the iPhone and onto the GS4?
Are you not already syncing contacts and calendar? If not, now's a good time to start. Then you only need to set up the account on the new device instead of migrating that data every time.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you have a bunch of DRM music through iTunes and want to stay legal, get iTunes Match for the year. It's $25, but it should allow you to then download all of that music DRM free. Just a suggestion since people have been mentioning all this drm stuff.

As fat as contacts, just sync them with google. It's pretty easy to do. Tutorials all over the web for it. I recommend google contacts whether you use an iPhone or not. Easiest way to get contacts onto every other ecosystem imaginable. Only google makes it that easy. Everyone else wants to keep it to their own.

----------

What exactly does the galaxy s4 have that you can't do with an iPhone?

There is nothing you can't do, but there are things it does differently. Of course there is the larger and higher resolution screen too.

Toadkillerdog

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
I too am thinking of moving on to an S4 for several reasons including just wanting to try something different. Larger screen is the biggest big draw (for me) and I liked my cousin's S3 a lot. Difficult to consider and give up convenience of iphone facetime with my kids and mother in Spain and all my apps in the iTunes ecosystem. That is biggest drawback for me. I have an iPad but that is not something I can slip in my pocket...

Here is a little tutorial on switching to android from iphone:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/m...iphone-android-guide-moving-from-ios-android/

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Aiding and abetting the enemy! ;)

B4r u go into the whole trouble, seriously play with it and if ur still want to jump after a couple of weeks, OK.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Aiding and abetting the enemy! ;)

B4r u go into the whole trouble, seriously play with it and if ur still want to jump after a couple of weeks, OK.

A lot of people who make the switch go back once they realize playing with your background and changing widgets a thousand times gets old after about a month

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

As suggested above, subscribe to iTunes Match and redownload any DRM-protected music. No music sold on iTunes in the last several years is DRM protected. Then install Google Play Music Sync on your Mac and allow it to upload all your music to your Google Play account (free). Your music will then be available via the Google Play Music app on your Android phone (and it can download individual songs or playlists to your phone to play offline).

Movies on the other hand is a problem. I'm not sure of any good way to remove the DRM from movies purchased from the iTunes Store. For movies from the iTunes Store, your pretty much SOL. Non-DRM movies of course will play just fine. Movies purchased via Google Play of course are stuck with a similar DRM that wont play on anything else, either.

For bookmarks, install Chrome on your Mac, import your Safari bookmarks, then allow it to merge with your Google account.

For Address Book and iCal, you can export your contacts and appointments and import them to Google Contacts and Google Calendar. On your Mac and other iOS devices, set up your calendar and addresses (and email) via Google instead of iCloud. There's instructions on Google's site.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
A lot of people who make the switch go back once they realize playing with your background and changing widgets a thousand times gets old after about a month

Yeah. So just imagine how bored will someone get after a month using a mobile OS without widgets and other stuff.

You'd get bored of iOS even sooner than Android mate.

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
I burned all my songs that were DRM protected onto CD and them imported them again via iTunes as ordinary mp3s, worked a treat, bit of a pain if you've got 1000s though lol...

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
The price of the songs isn't the issue. It's when you bought them. If you bought them before apple went DRM free they probably won't work. As for contacts, notes etc. There's apps that can sync them over. The nice thing about Googles ecosystem is that it's platform agnostic. So you calendars, contacts etc. will show up on all of your devices, iOS and Android and not just android.

Also, if you have iTunes Match and deleted all your DRM protected songs purchased in iTunes that were DRM protected from years ago, you can download them now and they are all DRM free. I did that will every song I purchased that was originally not iTunes +. Those sings will now copy over.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I burned all my songs that were DRM protected onto CD and them imported them again via iTunes as ordinary mp3s, worked a treat, bit of a pain if you've got 1000s though lol...

However, quality suffers.

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Difficult to consider and give up convenience of iphone facetime with my kids and mother in Spain and all my apps in the iTunes ecosystem. That is biggest drawback for me. I have an iPad but that is not something I can slip in my pocket...

I'm feeling the same way. I'm a long time iPhone user and the s4 sounds awesome. I've had a few androids and they weren't bad but lagged and so on that really bugged me, but I think android has come a long way (latest I had was 2.x). I'm guessing there are apps that'll allow text/video chat between the two devices?

n1pabs

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
A newer experience doesn't mean better.....

And the S4 'features' are just gimmicks and you're being brainwashed by advertising. There is no way I've ever thought of hovering my finger over a phone, waving at a phone to answer a call in a public place (as seen in advert) Plus these 'features' are Samsung specific apps.

I urge you to try for a few weeks before committing yourself to a 2 year plan. I'm recently out a 2 year plan with android and now returned to the iPhone...

The grass isn't always greener.....

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
In any case, it's up to him to try the experience and see what works. None of us can say for sure if he'll be bored or not or if he'll love the experience.

If he does? That's his prerogative.

Unfortunately, the OP's iTunes-bought videos are likely not going to transfer well. Movie/TV distributors have not bought into the idea of non-DRM'ed content yet, so short of cracking those videos somehow, he's not going to be able to transfer them to a new ecosystem easily.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
I too am thinking of moving on to an S4 for several reasons including just wanting to try something different. Larger screen is the biggest big draw (for me) and I liked my cousin's S3 a lot. Difficult to consider and give up convenience of iphone facetime with my kids and mother in Spain and all my apps in the iTunes ecosystem. That is biggest drawback for me. I have an iPad but that is not something I can slip in my pocket...

Here is a little tutorial on switching to android from iphone:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/m...iphone-android-guide-moving-from-ios-android/

interesting, I have the Galaxy S2 and I am waiting for my contract to expire in November at which time I will make the switch to an iPhone. Its funny how our buying habits change. One downside to Android for me is it takes for ever for software updates. You might want to consider that very carefully -read here. Apple's (IOS) iPhone, iPod and iPad don't have that problem.

ren857

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
interesting, I have the Galaxy S2 and I am waiting for my contract to expire in November at which time I will make the switch to an iPhone. Its funny how our buying habits change. One downside to Android for me is it takes for ever for software updates. You might want to consider that very carefully -read here. Apple's (IOS) iPhone, iPod and iPad don't have that problem.

...and neither do Nexus devices.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
A newer experience doesn't mean better.....

And the S4 'features' are just gimmicks and you're being brainwashed by advertising. There is no way I've ever thought of hovering my finger over a phone, waving at a phone to answer a call in a public place (as seen in advert) Plus these 'features' are Samsung specific apps.

I urge you to try for a few weeks before committing yourself to a 2 year plan. I'm recently out a 2 year plan with android and now returned to the iPhone...

The grass isn't always greener.....

LOL a apple dude saying the android dude is brainwashed :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.