Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vapor matt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
UK
Iam fed up of waiting for the new mac pro:mad: so ive switched to a PC based system with win7 pro and ivybridge i7 3770k clocked to 4.5g 32g DDR3 2100mhz with an Asus Xonar Essence ST Sound Card with raid sata6 with OCZ vertex 3 drives, its fast and my music has never sounded so good.

I know some will say windows is inferior ect ect but so far iam finding it very good indeed and CS6 flys along very nicely:D.

I hope you guys waiting it out for a mac wont have to wait to long, but so far iam very pleased with my purchase.:D

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
good for you, i'll be chillin with my new mac pro while you dingle with some ugly plastic stupid os machine.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Iam fed up of waiting for the new mac pro:mad: so ive switched to a PC based system with win7 pro and ivybridge i7 3770k clocked to 4.5g 32g DDR3 2100mhz with an Asus Xonar Essence ST Sound Card with raid sata6 with OCZ vertex 3 drives, its fast and my music has never sounded so good.

I know some will say windows is inferior ect ect but so far iam finding it very good indeed and CS6 flys along very nicely:D.

I hope you guys waiting it out for a mac wont have to wait to long, but so far iam very pleased with my purchase.:D

Whatever gets your work done best - nothing wrong with that. I hope you enjoy it.

----------

good for you, i'll be chillin with my new mac pro while you dingle with some ugly plastic stupid os machine.

I am really not sure why so many Apple OS X users have this attitude??? :confused:

ClassObject

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2010
I am really not sure why so many Apple OS X users have this attitude??? :confused:

What's so confusing?

I'd rather sit on a comfy leather recliner than a bar stool, drive a audi rather than a kia, use a nice bike instead of a department store bike, use snap-on tools instead of harbor freight junk.

I'd rather use a decent terminal app than DOS command line, use a well thought out OS than windows, use any mac hardware over any PC hardware.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Fair enough, but it is no excuse to force your own views down someone else's throat.

If it gets the OP's job done, great. If it doesn't, they will be back.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I too....

adheres to the saying "Whatever gets the work done". But having saying that, also adheres to the Mac OS X over Windows. Too many reasons for me and dont want to walk into a very old discussion. But in good justice, current Mac Pro users dont have:

-Good support or variety of graphic cards
-No native Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 support

And being Mac users, we dont have the ability to use ALL the vast sea of hardware allowed to Windoze users.

And still, if you want/need something right now and cant wait, buy all that fits best your needs.

:):apple:

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
adheres to the saying "Whatever gets the work done". But having saying that, also adheres to the Mac OS X over Windows.

I agree if it works for your needs thats great. But I too prefer the Mac Pro and OSX over a windows box. But thats just my personal preference.

If your system gets the job done and you are happy what else can you ask for?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
...use any mac hardware over any PC hardware.
You do realize, that the hardware is the same since Apple went with Intel(fundamental circuit construction using the same commodity components)?

ARM too for that matter (what's used in the portable devices).

The only thing that separates a Mac at this point, is the physical appearance and software (most visible aspect is the GUI).

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan

Fair enough, but it is no excuse to force your own views down someone else's throat.

I think i get it. It's like, this is a MacPro sub board and there's about 3 idiots a week posting nonsensical idiotic threads like this one. They don't participate in the community and for most of them it's their fist post here ever. Threads like this serve absolutely no constructive purpose whatsoever.

So it's RoastingPig's way of saying: Good, please leave.

I can't say I entirely disagree with him either. It might be a good idea if moderators here took it upon themselves to delete threads like this (and maybe the associated user accounts too. ;) Any and all of these emotionally blubbering self-pitying winey-baby threads could be deleted and it would only make this a nicer place to be.

This is absolutely the classical definition of trolling and it may even classify as spam. AFAIK both trolling and spamming are against the rules here.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA

Grow up fanboy. The guy just posted why he left. Don't blame him (or her). I did the same. I wasn't dumb enough to wait this long though and wait for the apple gods to send down there blessing with a new mac pro, if it will every appear. Most windows complainers here last experience with windows was probably XP. Win7 is pretty solid. Congrats on leaving. I'm enjoying my 3770K too. Let the others wait, and wait, and wait. The others who moved on are smart enough to get a updated system with current technology, not 4 year old technology. Enjoy!

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Grow up fanboy. The guy just posted why he left. Don't blame him (or her). I did the same. I wasn't dumb enough to wait this long though and wait for the apple gods to send down there blessing with a new mac pro, if it will every appear. Most windows complainers here last experience with windows was probably XP. Win7 is pretty solid. Congrats on leaving. I'm enjoying my 3770K too. Let the others wait, and wait, and wait. The others who moved on are smart enough to get a updated system with current technology, not 4 year old technology. Enjoy!

That's right. $2500 buys a powerful PC these days with features and capabilities far above a Current Mac Pro. Sure, I love my 2010 Mac Pro 3.2 quad but if I was buying it today for Photoshop work even at the current price of a little around $2200 a PC would be a better choice.

I like Macs and would rather have a lower-performance Mac than a higher-performance PC. I use both Windows 7 and Windows 8 almost daily. Once neutered with the right software Windows 8 is especially great to use.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Once neutered with the right software Windows 8 is especially great to use.

Please tell me what that software is! I still cannot make myself "like" it and I use it exclusively on my ThinkPad W520 just to ensure I know it well. On non-touch devices, I just haven't "got" (the Windows 8 craze) it yet.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Yes, Apple uses Intel CPUs and chipsets but aside that, everything else: Logic board, CPU board, PSU is custom made for Mac Pro. Fans are better quality than on any custom made PC, and I am not even going to talk about chassis quality.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
a bump in MHz makes and a faster SSD makes music sound better?

Believe it or not some people think the brand of FW cable matters. I think it is more a carry over from the analogue days where everything had it's own unique personality and "yours" was the best. But 0's and 1's and no outboard gear changes? Probably not. Funny though.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
What's so confusing?

I'd rather sit on a comfy leather recliner than a bar stool, drive a audi rather than a kia, use a nice bike instead of a department store bike, use snap-on tools instead of harbor freight junk.

I'd rather use a decent terminal app than DOS command line, use a well thought out OS than windows, use any mac hardware over any PC hardware.

Those are poor analogies because they generalize too much.

It's assuming every PC out there is inferior to the Mac when that's far from true. Sure you have an Audi, but I can buy a Kia, a Land Rover, a BMW, a Mercedes…

I have a custom built PC that I run as a server. The case is full aluminium, has adequate cooling, and runs very quiet. Something the Mac Pro has, which is great. Sure it doesn't run OS X, but I have access to any part out there, any processor, RAM, HDD/SSD combo. Currently this machine runs my KTV setup at home with 6 HDDs and an SSD, fitting into the chassis without anything compatibility issues. That's not to mention the software only runs on Windows. Had I purchased a Mac Pro, I would have to deal with blowing a lot of money on top-of-the-line processors I don't need, and limiting myself to two out of date GPUs, expensive RAM, etc. I love my Mac Pro, but it doesn't do the job in this case.

If you wish to an analogy, here's one:
Think of the Mac Pro as an Audi, we'll give you a Q7; my PC is a Range Rover. My Range Rover suffers from reliability from time to time, but it have choices. I can go with a small motor when I need less, or I can go with a supercharged V8 when I need power. I an do everything (and drive anywhere) with my Range Rover, yet you're still stuck on that road "Apple" says you can go on (Sorry the Q7 isn't really an off-roader, family has both cars in comparison)

I'm analogy isn't that great, but I want to say a PC offers the flexibility that isn't limited my one manufacturer, where the Mac Pro is limited to choices I may or may not want.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
a bump in MHz makes and a faster SSD makes music sound better?

I think a portion of the hesitation to buy the current ones is the sense that they have been out for some time and concern over how long they will retain software support when they are finally replaced.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire

A friend of mine runs a Pro Tools based recording studio and their Mac Pro gives them more headaches with Apple's never-ending cycle of OS updates than their Windows 7 PC does.

Pro Tools is finicky and people pretty much say, if you're system works, keep your current OS and only apply updates on a bootable backup to confirm everything works before you plunge straight in with updates. It's strange Logic never seems to be so dodgy but I went from Logic to Pro Tools 10 years ago and the only thing I regret is deluding myself I could manage with only software synths when systems were still PowerPC based with anaemic amounts of RAM :D

Congrats, and hope you stay pleased.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you need to invest in getting new windows software?
Good question. Something that most long-standing Mac users might consider an obstacle to switching entirely to Windows due to having made a significant investment in OS X software. But GL to the OP in embracing change & whatever works best for him!

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I think a portion of the hesitation to buy the current ones is the sense that they have been out for some time and concern over how long they will retain software support when they are finally replaced.

That's rather dubious stance.

1. Apple treated the 2006 as the 2007 as a bundle for "retirement" date. The minor bumped 2012 will likely get bundled to the 2010 as they are the same Mac Model number. If the current mac model number if replaced in 2013 then Apple's standard explicilty stated policy stands. Up to 5+ years after replaced on hardware.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1752

If the hardware is around why wouldn't it need software over most of the timespan?

You can look at some of the recent complaint threads about:

10.8 dropping 2006-7 Macs about 5 years after their introduction.

Recent bootcamp dropping support for 2008 Mac Pro about 5 years after their introduction.

Pretty good chance that 2008 Mac Pro will get dropped for 10.9 about 5 years after its introduction.

The only primary outlier is dropping PPC OS versions in 2009 after about only 4+ years after last PPC Mac release. However, this will likely be no where near a inflection point like the PPC->Intel transition was.

Apple has dung themselves a crappy support hole here if they follow their own stated policies. I would expect them to cut off the 2009 when they technically can in the next year or so; as if there had been a normal progression in the interim years. Apple is going to need to buy and long term warehouse spare parts in higher numbers than they usually do. But getting over quirky events is one of the reasons to have a huge cash stockpile.

These are probably more real at this point than software updates:

1. Tinker value as a box that can upgrade the CPU with a new one is disappearing since most users won't be able to get a new Xeon 3600 model for these boxes past September. ( Apple can buy longer but they are being pulled from the retail market this year. )

There is a used market for CPUs but that has higher risks. Especially if sellers aren't upgrading.

2. Similar issue over longer term with increased Memory costs. If high density ECC market shifts over to more profitable DDR4 production the current stuff will drop. The end-of-life price increase that hit pre-2009 models will kick in within 2-3 years.

3. For Apple to clusterf*ck the product management so badly as to see the product withdrawn from EU market is not generating much confidence there will later be "cheaper because replaced" 2013-2014 models. Few folks really wants to buy the "end of the line" unless absolutely have to because don't have options.

Alot of the mystery rumors about a super revolutionary new Mac Pro just add to this aspect. Although that is crappy product management too to let those spin out of control.

4. Most of all though the Osborne effect. Apple has heavily hinted new Mac Pro in 2013. The closer get to end of 2013 the smaller number of viable days Apple has to release the box. That means people will become more certain something new is coming and will stop buying to get a look at the new device.

Waiting longer brings more information and so increasingly larger number of people do.

For folks who don't closely follow the rumors between the EU Market withdrawal and upcoming NAB (or perhaps WWDC) conference there is some expectation that Apple will make a move. Or at least start doing controlled leaks. Instead there is a periodic Apple said something but we don't know anything articles the tech web bloggers keep dropping that just stir the pot (and generate ad views. )

Last edited:

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Well Said!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Although my 6-core 2010 purrs right along, I don't plan on getting anything new as of yet. I am sure though a workaround for 10.9 will be in the works for those with 2008 Mac Pros, as there is already a workaround to get bootcamp 5.0 drivers installed.

I totally agree with you.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
A friend of mine runs a Pro Tools based recording studio and their Mac Pro gives them more headaches with Apple's never-ending cycle of OS updates than their Windows 7 PC does.

If just move from 10.x.3 to 10.(x+1).(>= 3) it is usually a year or more till the next eligible upgrade to evaluate.

I think alot of folks get side tracked is in these races to be the first to download and test drive the new OS for bugs. Are there going to be bugs and instability in that initial release? That is like asking "Is the sky blue?"
In short, there are also lots of releases that can be easily ignored.

The security upgrades might actually be a bit more frequent for Windows than OS X.

Pro Tools is finicky and people pretty much say, if you're system works, keep your current OS and only apply updates on a bootable backup to confirm everything works before you plunge straight in with updates.

It helps to file bugs so they get fixed. but not really to do work on. Vendors may be working on multiple defects with the new release but bug submissions typically serve to prioritize them somewhat. None of that has to disrupt the main workflow.

It's strange Logic never seems to be so dodgy but I went from Logic to Pro Tools 10 years ago

The smaller set of platform targets and combinations ( Mac model and OS X version ) have to work through the easier it is to test them all.

Apple's new yearly iterative cycle would probably work better if it also wasn't a contest to add 400-800 new API's to the OS every year also. Smaller number at higher initial quality would be better at a faster pace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.