Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biremes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
I'm not really sure how to describe the strange glitch i'm having in Finder. When I open Finder, or return to it, sometimes I am unable to see the left side of the window... like it's cut off or something. Scrolling does not help - in fact I don't even have a scrollbar appearing at the bottom..

Any suggestions or comments? :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 6.44.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 6.44.24 PM.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 488
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 6.51.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 6.51.25 PM.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 258

Biremes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Here's a follow up. Going in and out of Photoshop the glitch occurs just after I posted the topic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 7.35.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 7.35.08 PM.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 201

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
Open a folder, then go to view. Enable side bar.
In the first image you show, you can see the name bar at the top in blue, if you click and hold, then drag to the right, it will make the name column wider too.
Help?

Biremes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
The sidebar is already enabled, and resizing the columns does not give me access to the first few columns that have disappeared.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 1.05.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 1.05.59 PM.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 218

Biremes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Still experiencing this issue following these instructions I followed found on Google...

Delete Finder preferences using Finder

Open a Finder window and navigate to Home > Library > Preferences folder.
Trash the file com.apple.finder.plist
If you are using Mac OS X 10.3 or later, also trash the Finder Sidebar preferences file, com.apple.sidebarlists.plist
Perform one of the following tasks:
Log out, then in again.
Relaunch the Finder by choosing Force Quit from the Apple menu, selecting Finder, then clicking the Relaunch button.
Empty the Trash.

Biremes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Any Mac wizards have more recommendations side from deleting .PList file. :confused::confused:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Any Mac wizards have more recommendations side from deleting .PList file. :confused::confused:

Delete ".DS_Store" files might be the solution, these files contain folder settings, you could use Spotlight for this but I use a program called EasyFind, if you use that small app make sure it includes invisible files and package contents, all/most settings are lost, give it a try.
Mostly I just recommend deleting the one on the Desktop first, after this it's best to logout or even better do a restart.

Biremes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Still having this problem...

I've noticed (since this has been happening well over a month now) that the problem occurs often when I drag something into my Dock. For example if I drag an image into Photoshop on the dock while at work.

Delete ".DS_Store" files might be the solution, these files contain folder settings, you could use Spotlight for this but I use a program called EasyFind, if you use that small app make sure it includes invisible files and package contents, all/most settings are lost, give it a try.
Mostly I just recommend deleting the one on the Desktop first, after this it's best to logout or even better do a restart.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Still having this problem...

I've noticed (since this has been happening well over a month now) that the problem occurs often when I drag something into my Dock. For example if I drag an image into Photoshop on the dock while at work.

Always or often, if it is always you could try to delete (or move to the desktop, if it does not work put back) the com.apple.dock.plist in your preferences Folder.
Kill the dock ( it auto relaunches) afterwards in Activity Monitor.

joyfreeman

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
solution?

I know this is old and probably fixed in a more recent OS than I have, but in case others are still using 10.7.X, I thought I'd share what worked for me.

I've had this problem for ages, too, but hadn't made the connection with dragging a file to the dock. I just knew that sometimes, after working in an application I would come back to the Finder and have a messed-up window, the left side cut off about as much as the width of the sidebar, and the sidebar also missing. Turning off the sidebar and turning it back on usually (always?) cleared it up.

But after your observation re the dock, I tried turning off "genie effect" in the dock prefs and no longer experience the problem. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.