Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
...that once my 4S contract is up, I can't cancel the data plan.

It's my phone, I paid for it, I am/will uphold the contract to the end, after that, AT&T can **** off as far as I'm concerned, I should be able to do with my phone as I please once I've finished my contractual obligation. If I want to cancel the data plan after two years, that should be my right.

Why do I need to keep a data plan on a phone that I'm no longer on contract with?

So tired of cell phone companies, seriously thinking about getting the cheapest, crappiest prepay phone out there when all is said and done and sticking it to AT&T and everyone else for all the years they've continually boned the consumer, regulation-free.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why do I need to keep a data plan on a phone that I'm no longer on contract with?
Because its a smart phone that uses data to be useful. You certainly can remove the data plan from your account, provided you are no longer using a phone capable of using the data, i.e., flip phone.

[MOD NOTE]
I updated your title to make it a bit more precise so other members know what the thread is about.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I agree that you should be able to cancel the data plan. You can still call and text without one, so it should be up to you.

Seems like the carriers have you by the nuts over there :(

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Because its a smart phone that uses data to be useful. You certainly can remove the data plan from your account, provided you are no longer using a phone capable of using the data, i.e., flip phone.

Are you saying it's useless without the data plan? Reduced functionality, sure, but hardly useless seeing as it would still be able to make calls, which is the primary function of any phone, smart phone or not.

I like the iPhone as a phone. I don't really need the big data plan, I just like the phone itself for what it is, and after two years I see no reason why it shouldn't be at my discretion to do with it as I please. Once I've met my contractual obligation, I don't see any reason why I should continue to be forced to pay for the data plan just because AT&T says I have to. I'd like to reduce expenses, and the easiest way to do that would be to just drop the data on the phone that I have.

Perhaps if there was a dumb phone out there that didn't look like total junk, I'd be more apt to go that route, but have you seen the dumb phones today? My last dumb phone was a Motorola KRZR, which was a gorgeous and perfect sized phone, and I'd reactivate it in a hearbeat if I still had it (and if it could still be used on today's networks). Unfortunately the only dumbphones made today are sheer afterthoughts and look terrible, and probably function about the way they look.

I can understand having to have the data plan throughout the two years because I got the phone for a subsidized price. After the two years, AT&T has gotten their money back for the subsidization (if they didn't then the contract would be longer than two years), so once they've recouped through data what they subsidized, they should be hands off if I tell them.

At that point in time it's my device, and I should be able to do with it as I please; AT&T should feel honored that I even would continue to use their service after my contract is up.

[MOD NOTE]
I updated your title to make it a bit more precise so other members know what the thread is about.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
So now that you are contract-free, you can move to another carrier. Lots of ATT MVNO (use AT&T tower if that' what u like) and cheaper than AT&T if voice is all u need. You are FREE to leave her!

Yes U.S. (legacy) cell carriers the most annoying thing on the planet, even in front of lawyers and airlines.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I agree it is dumb....but it's the standard across the board unless u do prepaid. U won't really be sticking it to them be you will be back at some point. Go prepaid but in one way or another u will still be on the main carriers network. You'll just have to cool off and accept it bc there is no way around it. Don't get me wrong I totally agree, but nothing you can really do.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I guess it's for the same reason why you can't get a plan without the voice part.
Anyways, like the other guy said, you won't be really showing them anything. Whatever works for you though.

Maybe you should check out a different carrier, might be a bit cheaper. Like Virgin Mobile.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Agree with you OP. It never was that way. It's just another way for them to get more money off you. Good thing is that your contract is up so just move. You can get prepaid min and text for $30.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
What I find bogus is that I can't buy a phone full price and go to any network I want and be able to use LTE on all of those networks. All of this nonsense of being unlocked even when subsidized, when what needs to be pushed in US is that all smartphones sold must be capable of accessing all LTE networks in US when they are unlocked whether when paying full price, or after contract is fulfilled on subsidized phones.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I should concede that I probably will have to switch carriers in October...our new apartment is a dead zone for AT&T. Service is crap, either no service or two bars, and when it is two bars, the sound quality is crap and you can hear a bad echo of yourself through the phone.

Oh look, another way they get you - here you have to sign a contract, but if the service we provide is garbage, well, TS for you!

----------

Unlock the phone, go to T-Mobile and just get a voice plan. Problem solved.

What's the current status on getting the carrier to unlock it for you? I know there have been changes going on regarding that.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I should concede that I probably will have to switch carriers in October...our new apartment is a dead zone for AT&T. Service is crap, either no service or two bars, and when it is two bars, the sound quality is crap and you can hear a bad echo of yourself through the phone.

Oh look, another way they get you - here you have to sign a contract, but if the service we provide is garbage, well, TS for you!

----------

What's the current status on getting the carrier to unlock it for you? I know there have been changes going on regarding that.

Carrier will unlock your phone if you have fulfilled your contract and even if you haven't in some cases.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

----------

If your phone is out of contract, ATT will unlock it

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If ur AT&T signal is bad, what u waiting for? But hopefully TM is better at ur location cuz that's really ur only other option, signal-wise.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Unlock the phone, go to T-Mobile and just get a voice plan. Problem solved.

Pretty much this. People are always in here complaining about AT&T prices and practices as if they are the only carrier. Since you don't want data the Edge speeds on Tmobile won't bother you. Just go over there and get a prepaid.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Pretty much this. People are always in here complaining about AT&T prices and practices as if they are the only carrier. Since you don't want data the Edge speeds on Tmobile won't bother you. Just go over there and get a prepaid.

T-Mobile offers plans with no data. You order a sim card on their website. Sim arrives. Place in phone. Sign up for voice plan and simply select no data.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
At the end if the day, it's att network and they can set whatever rules they want. The silly thing, to me at least, is that one can order a smartphone and inordinately go back down to a dumb phone and remove the data. The way I see it, att is potentially losing money on a deal like that. But I guess they make it up on all of the off contract smartphone plans. Unfortunately, even if you buy a phone used or off contract full retail, they still require a data plan.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
...that once my 4S contract is up, I can't cancel the data plan.

It's my phone, I paid for it, I am/will uphold the contract to the end, after that, AT&T can **** off as far as I'm concerned, I should be able to do with my phone as I please once I've finished my contractual obligation. If I want to cancel the data plan after two years, that should be my right.

So tired of cell phone companies, seriously thinking about getting the cheapest, crappiest prepay phone out there when all is said and done and sticking it to AT&T and everyone else for all the years they've continually boned the consumer, regulation-free.

cancel att and go with straight talk once your contract is up. Will still be cheaper than att even without data would be (if it was possible)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
At the end if the day, it's att network and they can set whatever rules they want. The silly thing, to me at least, is that one can order a smartphone and inordinately go back down to a dumb phone and remove the data. The way I see it, att is potentially losing money on a deal like that. But I guess they make it up on all of the off contract smartphone plans. Unfortunately, even if you buy a phone used or off contract full retail, they still require a data plan.

Funny how you feel bad or think AT&T is getting screwed if you switch phones. Let me see.
Multibillion dollar company's pockets or consumers rights of choice?
Shouldn't the consumer be able to have a choice whether he wants or needs a data plan or wants to just stay restricted to wifi for data?
I think the more choices we still have available the better. Even though I want and use a data plan not everyone out there has the same needs and uses for one and maybe don't want to pay for something they don't want.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Funny how you feel bad or think AT&T is getting screwed if you switch phones. Let me see.
Multibillion dollar company's pockets or consumers rights of choice?
Shouldn't the consumer be able to have a choice whether he wants or needs a data plan or wants to just stay restricted to wifi for data?
I think the more choices we still have available the better. Even though I want and use a data plan not everyone out there has the same needs and uses for one and maybe don't want to pay for something they don't want.

I... Don't feel bad. I was just saying that, from a business standpoint, it makes little sense to allow a person to subsidize their phone and dump their data plan, but then have a person buy a phone outright, and because it is a smartphone, keep their data plan. I continued that att is likely ok with this because they are making that subsidy difference back on another subscriber. I think perhaps you are reading between the lines and finding something that isn't there.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I... Don't feel bad. I was just saying that, from a business standpoint, it makes little sense to allow a person to subsidize their phone and dump their data plan, but then have a person buy a phone outright, and because it is a smartphone, keep their data plan. I continued that att is likely ok with this because they are making that subsidy difference back on another subscriber.

Yes, but when you sign the 2 year agreement you agree to stay with them for 2 years of service.
Not to keep an iphone data plan for 2 years.
What if your iphone gets lost or stolen, you break it or in other words you don't use that on your line any longer? You're supposed to keep paying for a data plan? That doesn't sound right or fair to me.
The wireless companies make plenty of money with voice and text plans and many other charges. They don't need a 2 year data plan to subsidize a cellphone. They been subsidizing expensive cellphones for many many years before when smartphones were not even around.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yes, but when you sign the 2 year agreement you agree to stay with them for 2 years of service.
Not to keep an iphone data plan for 2 years.
What if your iphone gets lost or stolen, you break it or in other words you don't use that on your line any longer? You're supposed to keep paying for a data plan? That doesn't sound right or fair to me.
The wireless companies make plenty of money with voice and text plans and many other charges. They don't need a 2 year data plan to subsidize a cellphone. They been subsidizing expensive cellphones for many many years before when smartphones were not even around.

Listen. In just saying that I thought it was strange that they allow you to drop the plan on a dumb phone but force you to pick it up on an on contract smartphone. In aware that the contract is simply signing of service and I have used a family member upgrade for my own line and dropped it to a dumb phone line. Again, I think you misread my stance. In fact, it was more commentary than a stance at all.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Listen. In just saying that I thought it was strange that they allow you to drop the plan on a dumb phone but force you to pick it up on an on contract smartphone. In aware that the contract is simply signing of service and I have used a family member upgrade for my own line and dropped it to a dumb phone line. Again, I think you misread my stance. In fact, it was more commentary than a stance at all.

I hear you.
Just saying I'm glad they're still allowing something like that since it only makes sense not to have to pay for an iphone data if you're not using an iphone any longer.
Seems like US carriers keep nickel and diming consumers and the government allows them to continue many unfair practices. Less customer options, higher prices, more restrictions on what you can and cannot do with your data and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.