Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have an aging (2008) white Macbook. I'm working on upgrading the HDD to see if I can squeak another year out of it. For portable use, I have an iPad. If I had "money to burn" I think I'd have an iMac, a MBA and an iPad.

If I manage to coax another whole year out of my Macbook, I'll go for a 15 in MBP or an iMac and continue using my iPad for portable use. I'm not that tempted by the 11.6 inch MBA as it is as vertically challenged (vertical pixel resolution) as most netbooks. With the arrival of the new iMacs, it is clear Apple is on the 1080p (or better) bandwagon.

If Apple comes out with an 11.6 in MBA that has 900 or more vertical pixels, I'll have to give it consideration but making it my "main" machine might require network storage I could use as seamlessly as I currently use a LaCie 1TB firewire drive on my Mac.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
What do you use as a File Server?

The minimal install of Ubuntu, plus Samba. VPN access is provided by Windows Server 2008R2.

And just to clarify, when I said "allows me to keep my work up-to-date between the two machines" I didn't mean that there was any type of syncing going on. I just mount the file share, and I immediately have the most recent copy of all my documents. The only syncing I use is rsync for backing up the file server.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Since this thread was started and mobile computing continues to explode I'm guessing more people are using only one computer.

What's your 'ideal setup'?

I would suppose many people are now using Tablet and a computer of some sort. But that's not me.

Here's what I said in this thread in 2011:

It's the same old story since this thread was started over two years ago. And it isn't a Mac only issue.

A desktop system gives more bang-for-buck and superior ergonomics.

A notebook system gives superior accessibility.

I'd have a hard time getting by without my MacBook, which I use in several locations around town and on vacations. However I'd go crazy if it were my only system. It's just too difficult to use compared with my 27" iMac with a second monitor and mammoth 22 year old Northgate Omnikey keyboard.

Only problem with both is keeping them synchronized, and of course the additional cost.

Since then my 13" MacBook has been replaced with a 15" MBP with the high resolution matte display, but I'm still using my 27" iMac setup exactly as it was when I bought it November 2009.

Believe me, I've given lots of thought to going to one system (especially at the time I purchased the MBP which is ever so slightly faster than my iMac). However I'd sure miss all that screen area and even adding a 27" display it would not be as pleasant to use.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Since this thread was started and mobile computing continues to explode I'm guessing more people are using only one computer.

What's your 'ideal setup'?

Hi entatlrg. I am still using 2 computers with the second one as backup to avoid any downtime in work in cases of unexpected repairs.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I think the explosion in mobile devices would prob mean more people with NO computers (in the more traditional sense of the word). Those with two or more will find a way to justify having them still. As I do...

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I went one computer for half a year because retina seemed so unbelievably promising. But constantly having to hook/unhook to be ergonomic and not always being avalable (ie in the bag, in another room, or somewhere else lost in the house) is becoming a problem. Performance and drive space is now a problem too. It's true laptops are really great performers now, but desktops still outperform and saving an extra hour in compiling a day can get me a new desktop in a few weeks.

Which is why I'm going to shop for a new shiny imac topped out today probably and keep my laptop or buy a smaller rmbp 13 to save some money. But then again, I'm a professional who has ridiculous computer requirements.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
If you had the choice what would your ideal set up be? A 15" macbook pro, or a combination of a macbook and desktop, (or pc?< bad word I know :)

I sold a beast of a Mac Pro when quad processors debuted in the Macbook Pro. Now I have portability and good processing power in a single machine. Of course, this configi also gives the capability to boot into Windows if need be.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I sold a beast of a Mac Pro when quad processors debuted in the Macbook Pro. Now I have portability and good processing power in a single machine. Of course, this configi also gives the capability to boot into Windows if need be.

You don't miss an always-on machine? I have the money to get an iMAC + rMBP 13" if I sell my 15" topped out rMBP 15... but I can't pull the trigger because I'm just not sure.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
You don't miss an always-on machine? I have the money to get an iMAC + rMBP 13" if I sell my 15" topped out rMBP 15... but I can't pull the trigger because I'm just not sure.
I have a 2011 27in iMac that serves as my media server. It's always on, so I can access files/documents from my MBA at home or on the go and even stream movies/TV shows directly to my iPad or iPhone (via AirVideo Server). It's a sweet setup and I love it, but it may be achievable with some type of NAS setup for a lot cheaper (but not sure). Alternatively, depending on what your uses are (i.e. if it's just a media server), a Mac Mini could be a cheaper alternative as well.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I have a 2011 27in iMac that serves as my media server. It's always on, so I can access files/documents from my MBA at home or on the go and even stream movies/TV shows directly to my iPad or iPhone (via AirVideo Server). It's a sweet setup and I love it, but it may be achievable with some type of NAS setup for a lot cheaper (but not sure). Alternatively, depending on what your uses are (i.e. if it's just a media server), a Mac Mini could be a cheaper alternative as well.

I meant just go to your desk, move the mouse and immediately look up anything you need or find a file or reply to an email instead of trying to hunt down your laptop, wait until it wakes up (lately that takes a while, not sure what changed), and then eventually doing what you need to?

My situation is worse, because a lot of times I need a bigger screen to do something quick graphics-wise, and plugging the rmbp into a display is the only way to do it, and sometimes it can take 5 minutes to turn on the display.

Also, wired aluminum keyboard is not detected 90% of the time with a TB display. So I have to constantly unplug and try every USB port until I find one that works.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I absolutely love the setup I've got as of now. The iMac and MBA 13" complement each other perfectly.

The iMac acts as the work-horse for SketchUp, photo editing and sometimes a bit of Garageband. I also use it as my home, media hub for storage of large files, as HD-space on the MBA is limited. Moreover, it's great for watching movies, doubling as a bedroom TV. :)

The MBA is used daily at Uni, and offers great portability while providing a large enough screen. The battery life is absolutely amazing. Managed to squeeze 11 hours off one single charge (BT & AirPort off, brightness on lowest setting). The "problem" is the SSD is so goddamn quick that I'm growing tired of the HDD in my iMac.

I keep the important files and schoolwork synced through DropBox.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

My MBP is always on, just sleeping in a BookArc and connected to external display. I'd consider keeping the 15" rMBP and purchasing the new TBD when it debuts in a bit.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
I have three Macs used regularly, one Mac Pro with an ACD in the office, one Mac mini with an ACD at home, and one 13" MacBook Air on the go.

To me, one Mac is obviously insufficient because I really dislike to connect things up when I want to use a computer.

To keep files in sync, I sometimes use the iCloud. I always carry a USB stick with me and backup the modified file(s) to it. If I am confused on the current version of a file on a Mac, I just compare the modification time of the file on the Mac with that on my USB stick.

I also keep several backups of all my files (on Macs, on USB sticks, on mobile hard disks). The Time Machine is also used on my Mac Pro.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
What's you preference, to work from one computer, or two?

I'll often read in forums that it's best to work from ONE computer, this way all your data is in one place easy to organize you can use an external display etc ... If you're away from a desk at all and using one computer you'd have to use a notebook.

Others prefer TWO computers, a permanent desktop and a notebook, a set up like that can be had for cheap or you can go all out and buy a top the line iMac or MacPro and an Air for a notebook I guess. But you'll have data, shortcuts, preferences like at different settings so it's a little more work to keep in sync..

If you had the choice what would your ideal set up be? A 15" macbook pro, or a combination of a macbook and desktop, (or pc?< bad word I know :)

Interested to hear comments/opinions.

Thanks.

I used to have it where I had my iMac and my MacBook (back when there were "MacBooks"); the iMac had discrete graphics and storage space so I could do my heavy lifting there and my MacBook...well...didn't. This became limiting. I wanted the ability to do everything I would otherwise do on my iMac on the go. It also sucked having to centralize everything on my iMac when sometimes I might want to access it on the go. So, I switched to just having a 15" MacBook Pro; best of both worlds. I have a NAS for all of the stuff I don't need unless I'm home and a PC desktop for gaming (which will always be a better implement for such tasks than an iMac ever would).

That being said, times change. Maybe when my lifestyle slows down, it'll make sense to once again adopt a desktop Mac and a 13" laptop (be it an Air or a Pro). By then most games that I want may have dual-release on Mac and PC platforms. Maybe my desktop PC lifestyle will be such that I never perform upgrades. It's entirely possible. But for the time being, I don't see it happening.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I finally jumped into it and got an iMAC along side my rmbp maxed out. I can't believe what a huge difference in speed it is. Benchmarks don't cover things like everything feels faster. I have to admit, I'm glad I made the decision to get away from a laptop-only computer. However, now I'm contemplating whether or not to get MBA 13, keep rMBP 15, or an ipad with a keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.