Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
You're probably better off posting those questions in the Quicktime Developers mailing list. Most of this stuff is beyond me. I only used Atom Inspector because I was trying to fix an "invalid public atom" error in some of my MP4s. But it turned out it was easier to re-encode the video files so they worked properly with Quicktime. VLC had no problem playing MP4s that generated the "invalid public atom" error in Quicktime.

BTW, do you know a built-in function of Atom Inspector to do this - that is, not to rely on the user to check out the order of those two atoms?

BTW2, I noticed Atom Inspector (as opposed to isoviewer) can both edit and, unlike isoviewer, save(!) changes in MP4 (MOV etc.) files. However, it doesn't convert for example the atom/box type for AVC / H.264 (more info at http://thompsonng.blogspot.hu/2010/11/mp4-file-format-part-2.html ) to human-friendly names (unlike isoviewer - see my last screenshot above), which makes it harder to edit e.g. AVCLevelIndication. Do you know whether this will be fixed some time?

----------

BTW, does anyone think it's bad manners of iFlicks to de-optimize your video files when updating metadata? iFlicks should at least offer an option to optimize video files when editing or adding metadata.

Some of us use both iTunes/Apple TV and Plex to watch our videos. Fast start streaming (aka optimized) MP4/M4Vs are required for Plex to "direct play" to your various Plex clients. Direct Play is awesome because it uses almost no CPU. If your video files are not optimized, Plex will still play them but will use much more CPU.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
I've been using iFlicks some more and this app really does have bad manners. First off, let me say that iFlicks is fast at tagging metadata and is very convenient for the average user, especially for converting videos and adding them to iTunes.

However, iFlicks does some things that are unacceptably rude.

1) It does not optimize MP4/M4Vs after changing metadata. This will disable fast start streaming of your files (which is required for "Direct Play" in Plex, if you use that).

2) iFlicks will overwrite any metadata information you have in your files. For example, I use the "Comment" tag on my video files to add additional information about the video or what encoding settings I used. iFlicks will replace any information in the "Comment" field with the following: "Information courtesy of TMDb (http://www.themoviedb.org). Used with permission." Well, they didn't ask my permission to erase my information.

I also use the "Encoding Tool" metadata field to indicate which app (e.g., Handbrake, VisualHub, Quicktime, ffmpegX) was used to convert the video file. iFlicks will overwrite this tag and insert "iFlicks" even if I only used iFlicks to change the metadata.

So, if you need custom tag information and optimized video files, either don't use iFlicks or be sure to Subler or iDentify to manually edit the metadata and optimize the files.

Finally, iFlicks doesn't seem to offer a way to choose alternative movie cover art. Is there a way to do this?

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
As far as overwriting metadata goes, you can just change that metadata after iFlicks has done its thing. Once iFlicks scrapes the data, just select the file, right click and select Get Info. Now you can change any of the data you want. I do this a lot when it comes to adding artwork I prefer, changing the rating to Unrated (if it's an unrated version of the movie), changing the genre to one that conforms with how I organize my genres in iTunes, or in the case of foreign movies, adding the original title in parenthesis after the English title.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I have a video file that has both 6 channel & 2 channel.

The 6 channel is 3** bitrate
The 2 channel is 124 bitrate

I plan to run the movie thru iflicks so I can play them on my Apple TV

I'm using this soundbar as my tv speaker & I have a subwoofer that I use sometimes

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-VSB200-Universal-Sound-Bar/dp/B002EPF6YO

My question is should I remove the 6 channel or 2 channel using subler ? Which one should I keep

Or keep both and run the video thru iflicks as is

With my soundbar and the Apple TV audio limits what is my best option here

Both channels are AAC

edit: leaving both audio tracks in & using the itunes compatible tab gives the audio an echo when i play them on the apple tv, removing one track gets rid of the echo

Last edited:

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I just discovered the other day that VideoDrive supports DVD ripping. Well, actually, HandBrake supports it and as such VideoDrive supports it as well:

1) Launch VideoDrive
2) Make sure HandBrake is selected as the conversion option (Import Preferences tab). If it's not there, click the little + button to install it
3) On the main screen, choose option 5 (or 6,7 or 8)
4) Click Import Videos and select the DVD

VideoDrive will download metadata, artwork and start ripping the DVD. Afterwards, it will be added to iTunes. Simple as that.

pmcdunnough

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
Regarding Plex and Direct Play:

While it is true that you need mp4/m4v to Direct Play to an ATV2, you can still Direct Stream mkv provided the streams are supported. You are then just remuxing on the fly using very little cpu power. Works great with a Roku. Using a Synology and DS Video you can send the video directly to an ATV3 via AirPlay or via DLNA to other media players.

Philip

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I have a video file that has both 6 channel & 2 channel.

The 6 channel is 3** bitrate
The 2 channel is 124 bitrate

I plan to run the movie thru iflicks so I can play them on my Apple TV

I'm using this soundbar as my tv speaker & I have a subwoofer that I use sometimes

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-VSB200-Universal-Sound-Bar/dp/B002EPF6YO

My question is should I remove the 6 channel or 2 channel using subler ? Which one should I keep

Or keep both and run the video thru iflicks as is

With my soundbar and the Apple TV audio limits what is my best option here

Both channels are AAC

edit: leaving both audio tracks in & using the itunes compatible tab gives the audio an echo when i play them on the apple tv, removing one track gets rid of the echo

In your situation (and most of mine) I would delete the 6 channel aac audio. Probably your sound bar and most mainstreams devices can't decode that signal.

IIRC, maybe the PS3 was one of the few devices that could decode 6-channel AAC correctly, but only thru its analog outs?

From reading the forums here, the AppleTV can't, currently, decode 6 channel AAC properly. One of the handbrake developers said that it currently does some awkward 3 channel mix.

For Movies that I'm not going to watch often, keeping the larger 6-channel AAC along with the 2 channel AAC audio is a waste of storage.

Although you posted awhile back, I hope this helps you or someone else.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I use iFlicks. Is there something like this for Windows PC's? A buddy of mine wants to know (and I'm tired of tagging all of his movies/tv shows for him :))

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
The only thing iflicks needs is a way to let you know if iTunes compatible tab will work when you throw the files in there right away

Also if the movie file only has a 6 channel audio and the file is mkv/h264 using the iTunes compatible tab it will convert the audio to 2 channel automatically and give your video 2 audio tracks , I wish that when this happens that you could be able to have an option to delete the 6 channel track and keep the 2 channel track

Now since I don't need 6 channel 5.1 surround I have to use mp4tools to remove the audio track and keep the 2 channel track only

I could just use mp4tools from the beginning and convert the audio using that
But to my ears the iflicks audio converted AAC track sounds better than mp4tools

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.