Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that THX, the sound innovation company that traces its origins to George Lucas and Lucasfilm 30 years ago, has filed suit against Apple in U.S. District Court over alleged infringement of a speaker patent by the iMac, iPhone and iPad product lines.
THX holds a 2008 patent for a speaker unit that can boost sound output and attach to computers or flat-screen televisions, according to a complaint filed yesterday in federal court in San Jose, California.
THX is claiming that the infringement has caused it "monetary damage and irreparable harm" and is seeking either an order to stop the alleged infringement and a reasonable royalty or damages to compensate THX for any lost profit.

imacthxspeakers.png
The sound company alleges that undisclosed iPad and iMac models, as well as the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, are infringing upon the patent. As noted by AppleInsider, the device that most resembles THX's patent is the newly redesigned iMac, which features long channels that allow audio to be projected from the thin bottom edge of the machine.

There is of course still a chance for the two companies to reach a settlement, as the deadline for Apple to meet with THX and its counsel over initial disclosure is May 14, with initial disclosures due on June 7 and the initial case management conference a week later on June 14.

If the two sides do not agree on a settlement, Apple's arguments in court will likely hinge on disputing the patent's validity.

Notably, Tom Holman, creator of the original THX standard, joined Apple in mid-2011 to provide "technical direction" on the company's audio efforts.

THX also has a presence on Apple's App Store for iOS devices in the form of THX tune-up, an app released in January that allows users to calibrate televisions and surround sound systems.

Article Link: THX Sues Apple Over Alleged 'Narrow Profile Speaker' Patent Infringement

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Lol at "narow speaker placement" patent.

Who gives out this stuff seriously?

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
So they have a patent for a speaker that projects sound through a narrow slot... that's a pretty handy patent to have, because no one would think of doing that... ;)

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
What comes around, goes around apple.

Yeah I mean Samsung didn't deserve it... :rolleyes:

Hell, I hope Apple pays out if this patent is truly legit. Can't say I wish anything positive towards Samsung, it's like a parasite you can't shake off.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
can someone explain to me why THX waits until several products come out from Apple to file a suit? is it because they'll get more money if they wait? or does filing a suit take that long?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Lol at "narow speaker placement" patent.

Who gives out this stuff seriously?

The exact same people who gave Apple a patent for a black or white oblong with rounded corners :rolleyes:

And I like how THX used the same argument as Apple's lawyers did against Samsung: "monetary damage and irreparable harm"

And why do people state everyone wants a bite of Apple? erm, no, THX designed something and hold a patent for it and Apple are using it without abiding by patent law and paying for the technologies use. THX are totally obliged to take Apple to court for that. Because Apple would! And you would all be complaining how THX 'stole' from Apple, well this is just another example of how Apple 'steals' from others just as much IMO.

Last edited:

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
I don't like litigation, but Apple should invent its own stuff ;)

The thing is, there isn't any evidence that they did knowingly infringe on any patents. This is the thing that gets me. If people genuinely come up with the same idea independently, but one patents it first, the other guy could get sued. It makes you a little nervous about inventing anything to be quite honest... There are a seemingly endless pile of patents out there, and any one of them could be enough to sue me.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
The thing is, there isn't any evidence that they did knowingly infringe on any patents. This is the thing that gets me. If people genuinely come up with the same idea independently, but one patents it first, the other guy could get sued. It makes you a little nervous about inventing anything to be quite honest... There are a seemingly endless pile of patents out there, and any one of them could be enough to sue me.

I agree. I think the root of the problem lies in the broken patent system. It's very difficult to search through all the tens of thousands of patents, as well as attempting to interpret what it's all talking about and the limitations of such patents.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
can someone explain to me why THX waits until several products come out from Apple to file a suit? is it because they'll get more money if they wait? or does filing a suit take that long?

Probably a combination of not being aware of the alleged breach, and then the preparation for filing. I think (hope) companies dont pull apart every new product, compare to their stock of patents, and launch pre-pared suits.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Last edited by a moderator:

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
If the two sides do not agree on a settlement, Apple's arguments in court will like hinge on disputing the patent's validity.

Seriously? The author of this post doesn't expect Apple to take the far more typical front-line stance of non-infringement?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Ah, the latest favorite anti-Apple chestnut. Dilger would have a word.

Are people actually defending Apple because they infringed another company's patent?

God I own an iPhone and iPad but this is just sad.

Worst part of following Apple is all the moronic fans that defend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.